Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from my boys that it's snowing as they transit up to Oquossoc this AM. First car is at 10AM. I have a feeling the roads are going to be frozen with some jagged ruts out there. Will most likely be a tire survival(or torture) test!

Good luck to everyone today-wish I could be there!

Oh, and I found out that Magalloway is Native American for, "Don't Cut!" ;-)

Cheers! John

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Winter gets me all excited. I love working outside in the cold and keeping the fires hot. I love hot cider and I love taking my li'l black lab pup outside to play with the kids and chase them down the sledding hill. I love how the RX7 floods easy in the cold so as I'm firing it up I can show the kids the sweet fireworks. They think their old man is pretty cool.

I love driving in the snow. It comes down quietly and has a way of transforming the landscape into a totally different place, like summer is away and winter is housesitting for a season with a whole new set of rules.

Rally in the winter kicks it.

Good luck to Iorio and Slocum.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just got home. They were....slick. I was working the flying finish on 1 and 3, and on 2 and 4 i just sat and watched people slide off and brush the trees in front of me. it was kinda funny, because they all did it on 2, so i figured they would slow down on 4...but nope, they just went faster.

·
Insane Driver w/o a Car
136 Posts
oh yeah.... it was Cold, And slippie out there.. Tire choice was making or breaking the teams... most teams started off with Snows in the first half.. Come second half.. few cars turned to Ice tires... Car #778(Getchell/Lee) switched to Tractionized yokos which was the right choice.. Went from 7th Overall at halftime to 4th overall And what ever tires that car #770 (Duplessis/McNalley) make some crazy time in the second half.. Pulling a 2nd overall finish..
Not quite sure what happened to Ken Block.. he pulled out after 3rd stage.... And congrats to Art and Dave (car #461) on the first rally and finish.... 3rd in PGT.. Gave them a hand to fix their car at halftime..

·
Registered
926 Posts
From the conditions reported at the Friday night drivers meeting and generally the weather around Rumford the common wisdom was that gravel tires would be the call.

We trailered the car up to the DOT lot and for the last half of the trip I had the truck in 4WD. When we got there it seemed pretty obvious some form of snows was the right call. We ran what we have - Green Diamonds with tubes. Worked OK. Some of the turn exits were like skating rinks in the morning though. We lost our brakes (the fluid was gone) about a mile into the outbound stage "2" and we retired when we got to service - didnt bring brake parts other then pads and rotors. Let me tell you, that was an interersting drive...

Saw Dave G's "piano" rock up close a couple times. Took a couple non lethal excursions in the slickest spots. Had a great bowl of Chili.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.