Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
..just read the final results ...and after hard battle Tom Lawless came first overall, congratulations !

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
From the Rally-America site:
"There has also been one official protest that has been resolved. Car 11, Choiniere / Becker have been assessed a 10 minute penalty for illegal service."

There was no mention that this action handed the OVERALL victory to Thomas. It would have been nice to post what the official ruling was before signing off for the event 38-minutes after that posting. What happened??? A 10-minute penalty seems pretty steep to just kinda say "...as a side-note this is what happened, but we haven't heard any details. See ya! Gotta go while the beer's still cold!" Other than this major detail coverage was pretty good this time out.

Does anybody who was at the event have more info on what happened? Was it illegal fueling, adding coolant, finding a spare tire in the woods, etc.?

This sounds like this was a major turning-point in the rally. It looked like it happened after stage six and the protest was lodged later on which changed the scores.

Jerry Winker

P.S. By the way, congrats Thomas. You've had this one coming for awhile and you finally pulled it off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Pat if there was illegal servicing then hey that is against the rules. Congratulations to Tom, a win is a win enjoy it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... also big congratulation to Konstantin Roumiantsev and the team, they where working very hard to the last moment. I'm sure the mix of hot weather, japanese technology and Tom's demands weren't easy to work with.;)

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I didn't want to bring it up, but someone already has, but can't we have a "three strikes and you're out" in rallying too! Seems to me that Choiniere and Becker have done this before. What is it these days with the "win at all costs" syndrome? By the way, congratulations to all the other crews who played by the rules.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Too bad PatR had a roll, the car looks reasonably crumpled. At least they were both ok and finished.

It will be interesting to see the results for the rest of the season, and what car Pat uses if this one is toast.

As for the penalty, if it was for filling a water injection tank, couldn't you claim that was "fuel" ? :)

Glenn

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>I didn't want to bring it up, but someone already has, but
>can't we have a "three strikes and you're out" in rallying
>too! Seems to me that Choiniere and Becker have done this
>before. What is it these days with the "win at all costs"
>syndrome? By the way, congratulations to all the other crews
>who played by the rules.

I hardly call a service guy filling the intercooler spray tank with water in the wrong place/time a "win at all costs" cheat

Rules are rules, but winning on a protest has got to be bittersweet.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
but where does one find the documentation of such an
>infraction?

The Supp Regs for the event specifically called for a "fuel only" service stop.

Paul and Jeff had somebody refill their intercooler water sprayer, while someone else was refueling the car. Since water doesn't burn, it isn't "fuel".

The penalty for illegal service was 10 minutes.

Tony Chvaez

·
Registered
374 Posts
>
>
> but where does one find the documentation of such an
>>infraction?
>
>The Supp Regs for the event specifically called for a "fuel
>only" service stop.
>
>Paul and Jeff had somebody refill their intercooler water
>sprayer, while someone else was refueling the car. Since
>water doesn't burn, it isn't "fuel".
>
>The penalty for illegal service was 10 minutes.
>
>Tony Chvaez

Okay, question. Was the intercooler reservoir under the hood or inside the cabin of the car? If the reservoir isn't under the hood but behind either the driver or co-driver's seat and if either the driver and co-driver refill the reservoir... would that be illegal service?

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
apologies to Randy Zimmer.!!

Too bad this is the second time in recent years that somebody buggered royally at Maine for filling intercooler water, so we should be saying what a shame somebody was stupid enough to fill water after all the bad harsh feelings when who was it (Scheibel??) protested and had EXCLUDED was it Tom Mcgeer for the exact same thing.
seems as though the snivelling and sniping which so characterize>>> EDIT!!!!the snivelling limp wristed girlie boys in SCCA roadracing, Cone squishing, and TSD (Totally Stupid Distractions??) is creeping into rally, a shame really.

(Edit: Hey RandyZ was that better??? 8) )

And to bad it cost Pat so much time, his roll.

Look at the average MPH on stages, aaaaawwwwfuuully fast.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
935 Posts
>Too bad this is the second time in recent years that
>somebody buggered royally at Maine for filling intercooler
>water, so we should be saying what a shame somebody was
>stupid enough to fill water after all the bad harsh feelings
>when who was it (Scheibel??) protested and had EXCLUDED was
>it Tom Mcgeer for the exact sme thing.

Ok John, you've really gone toOooo far this time! Choiniere was clearly being whalloped on every day of this event, just look at his miserable times! It was only by filling the tank in the fuel area, as opposed to on some transit just after that he could weasel his way into the lead! I'm surprised the SCCA let him off with only a TEN MINUTE penalty, I'dve buried him up to his neck in sand and put honey in his ears. Who caught this un-american act in progress anyways? An official, or another competitor? They deserve a medal...

>seems as though the snivelling and sniping which so
>characterize SCCA roadracing is creeping into rally, a shame
>really.

"If you can't beat 'em, DQ em!" - Some SCCA sealed-surface guy

>Look at the average MPH on stages, aaaaawwwwfuuully fast.

Maybe that's why it's turning into a road-race mentality? It's just like driving on the freeway!

Patrick "Anybody else notice the 'terror meter' went up at the same time as this happened? Coincidence? or Communist?" McVeigh

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Great event. Rough in places. Some great sections. Quite fast. Paul really moving. Pat too of course.

Only difference I noticed on 40mm was that peak torque continued higher in the powerband. Not insanely faster or anthing.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts