Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MS6

"Simply put, the MAZDASPEED6 is the fastest, best handling sedan we’ve ever built. Everything that makes the MAZDA6 sedan so unique and so exciting has been enhanced for more power and more performance, from the 274-hp† engine to the AWD drivetrain. And in the midst of delivering this unparalleled performance, it keeps you comfortable and relaxed like only a MAZDA6 can. Excited? So are we."

274 HP @ 5500
280 lb-ft @ 3000
3589 Curb weight

First time I heard about it was on a comercial this morning, guess I havn't been paying attention, sounds interesting though.

2.3L, 16v, turbo AWD, that puts it just out side of the open class displacement limits by .1L though, right?

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
See that curb weight? Ouch.

We talked it over with Mazda 2 years ago before we decided to go Grp 5 with the 3.

We decided we did not want to build a car "just to be there." The Mazda6's platform is too large to be competitive (in rallying) against the WRX and EVO. It would the be Octavia of the US (but it is a VERY nice road car).

At the time, Dodge was still running in G5, so we had manufacturer competition.

The Mazda 3 is not built "just to be there." It is built to win.

There were other factors...marketing budgets, who else was racing which car in what series, which brands were supported/unsupported, what new products are coming into the fold over the next X years, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to give you more to ponder, the Mazda 3 chassis is also used for the Volvo S40/V50 and european Focus. Both offer the inline 5 turbo while the Volvo adds 4wd. It's a Haldex system so not true 4wd, runs as fwd until there's slip. Think the few who have tried Audi TT's just locked them solid. Rear suspension would likely need major reengineering to get enough travel and survive the pounding.

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very intersting, thanks for the reply. I figured the car was a bit big to throw around real easily, but I remembered somethign along the lines of the discusion about making the 3 AWD at some point last year (I was on a lot of painkillers for a while, so details still escape me now and again, like January '05), but deciding to hold to grp 5 since the car was only available as 2WD. I hadn't heard about this new 6 until today, and just curious about it.

"...what new products are coming into the fold over the next X years..."

Is there a chance then of something smaller, more nimble on the way then?

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Yeah, I had heard that was just a pikes peak special, and
>didn't see you with that one at Sno, so figured the rumor was
>true.

But you did see the Protege, a Gr2 car entered in Gr5.
Its nice to have a back-up car that you already know how to set up for a snow rally.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Definitely NOT a Pikes Peak special.

Many reasons it wasn't at SnoDrift...

-Too much HP
-The thought of backing out of snow banks with a sequential scares me
-The thought of dousing the bottom of my new car with salt makes me cringe
-The revised fuel cell wasn't done.
-The Protege is more than adequate for a snow rally (for a 2wd car) and has a known snow setup.

-The engine was in a crate...:)

Etc, etc.

New dry break system will be finished this weekend and the engine is back where it belongs now.

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet, I was hoping on seeing it run at some point, and since you were in the other car for Sno I figured it might have jsut been a special then. Hopefully I can make an event where you run the new one then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.