Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a suspicious lack of car 65 on the Lake Superior entry list. Does anybody know if David Sutton's team is actually coming to the final event of the championship which they're leading, but haven't won? As a greedy rally fan, I'd love one more dose of Stig-Pat-Cliffhanger please.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, the odds are in Stig's favor. Pat would have to WIN overall to get enough points to take the title.

Stig has three 1sts and three 2nds (best six counted for points).

Pat has three wins, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a DNF at the moment. Second place would net 17 points to replace the DNF, for a total of 116 to Stig's 117.

My guess is that the David Sutton team is gambling. It would, however, be MUCH more exciting to have them on hand for a final head-to-head battle for the championship.

TW

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>What? Is he chicken or something?

Jeez - Makes me proud to be a Yank ... NOT x(

Is there anywhere else in the legitimate rally world where you'd find someone with no apparent rally record impuning the reputation of a former World Rally Champion?

If Stiq and company have packed up and gone home for the season then they are risking nothing worse than the loss of four titles from a rally backwater.

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
3,979 Posts
>What happens if Stig showed up in Mad Mike's New Beetle and
>got starting points? I haven't looked that closely at the
>standings.

Having ridden with me you KNOW I'm no codriver, but if I'm adding the points correctly Stiq can only improve his total by winning either overall or Grp N and thereby replacing one of his 2nd place finishes for a net increase of 5 points. Blomqvist has entered and finished 6 events compared to Patrick's five finishes from seven events entered. So Patrick adds points to his net total with ANY finish, but overall and/or Grp N class wins are the only finishes that can help him retain either his overall title or the Grp N one.

Codrivers are a different gig - Anna has a mathemetic shot at overtaking Nath if she and Stiq won, but I think there would need to either a Richard/Richard DNF or a seriously low finish at LSPR to change that outcome.

Halley ...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
What, nobody has Stig's phone number?

None of his entry forms has a phone number to call?

I'll try the guessing game: He discovered our dirty little secret. There is no year-end prize money.

Or....

Why doesn't someone call him up and say, "Hey, Dude, wassup?"

·
3,979 Posts
>Don't forget, you get starting and finishing points for all
>events, even the ones you drop position points for. So if
>Stig starts and finishes LSPR, regardless of position, he
>gains 2 points for that.
>
>- Christian
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com

Oh - OOps. So what Dillon said (so far as the overall title is concerned - the Bug isn't homologated for Grp N) is true?

I keep telling you guys & gals I'm better off fussing with nothing more than a steering wheel, shifter, hand brake and those three pedals on the floor!

EDIT ---

After looking at the numbers again I reckon if Stiq & Anna take a pass on LSPR and Pat & Nath repeat their Cog performance then Patrick beats Stiq in the overall 121 to 117 and in the Group N chase 124 to 122, so the StudBug wouldn't do Stiq any good even if he finished with it. Now, if something Group N legal showed up with Stiq in it and he finished then they would each have 124 points and the tie-breaker rules would kick in. Since there would be a tie between the two right through second place finishes I believe Stiq would be the Group N Champ since any LSPR finish would beat Pat's DNF's by at least a point.

Now, if someone could manage to shuffle Patrick out of the LSPR overall & Grp N win categories then Patrick comes no closer than one point behind Stiq in the overall and three shy in the Grp N championship.

Halley ...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>I keep telling you guys & gals I'm better off fussing with
>nothing more than a steering wheel, shifter, hand brake and
>those three pedals on the floor!

So if you had an automatic transmission, you could solve quadratic equations onstage? Or codrive for yourself? }(

Bruce

·
Registered
276 Posts
You never know, they might enter at the last second.
But If you were stig and Sutton, would you spend an other $40k for what? So they can say we won one of the US national rally serie. WHOW!!!
the guys is 65 and 2 times world champ, I don;'t think he cares about the US rally championship, if I was him I wouldn't.
I respect that guy a lot, and not going to LSPR is not going to change the level of my respect for him.
I guess US rally is not as important as we think.
I sure would like to see him doing battle on last time with Pat.

·
3,979 Posts
>So if you had an automatic transmission, you could solve
>quadratic equations onstage?

Hell yeah! I'm anxious for Hannah to reach the level of algebra that will allow me to dazzle her with what I remember about factoring polynomials!

> Or codrive for yourself? }(
>
>Bruce

I'm at least smart enough to know that if I ever deluded myself into believing such I'd have a damned fool for a navvie.

Halley ...

·
3,979 Posts
The latest wrinkle ...

This from coverage of yesterday's portion of the Canadian Pacific Forest Rally on http://www.flatovercrest.com/2005_Pacific_Forest_Rally.html , "Pat Richard/Nathalie Richard ? The big news this evening is that Pat is out of the rally!!! Apparently they lost oil pressure on the stage and had to retire. We?ll post more when we find out more details."

Halley ...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RE: The latest wrinkle ...

That was Pat's first CARS start this year. Pacific Forest is his home event, so he was likely supporting his friends and customers, but had the Richards won, they'd have to think seriously about an entry at Tall Pines to secure another North American title. This DNF likely seals the North American Rally Cup for Matt Iorio and Ole Holter. Well deserved, too.

But back to the real point of this thread... Stig Blomqvist's participation with a top team this season has made the Rally America title North America's most prestigious prize. We have been treated to a fantastic season-long battle that caused all the top guys to raise their game. In other years, performances like we've seen from Group N drivers like Iorio, Pastrana and Block would have been enough to win championships. The pace from Blomqvist and Richard has been exceptional.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts