Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*If* i can get the car ready for LSPR, I'm going to try and run it. After reading the other thread about people saying Friday is a real carbreaker and the sort, and how they recommend to skip friday and just run saturday ... im starting to think that might be a good thing

how many stages are night stages? I take it the day probably starts about 8-9am; just curious to see how late it runs.

any idea on registration prices for just one day?

·
Tower City Race Team
500 Posts
While Saturday's stages are a blast, Friday's are an adventure in technicality and perserverance. Saturday's are faster. Friday has the night stages. If you wanna learn how to drive/rally better, Friday is the way to go. If you wanna hold the throttle down, and try your best to impress 1,000 spectators at one chicane, choose Saturday. But what do I know??? I haven't even sat in a prepared-car!!!

If/when I get to race, and were in your position, I would choose Friday; and then crew or help a team that is fighting for position on Saturday. Just my preference after driving each stage at (legal)speeds.

Run it till the wheels fall off!!!

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Friday nights stages (as of 02 & 03- the last two I ran) were NOT car breakers per se, it was how you drove them. They were fun, fast stages with trees & ways to wreck yourself if you were pushing hard as the condition seem to change frequently and quickly at LSPR/POR. You have to be on your toes, especially on Fri night, cuz the temp changes & the roads change after dark. THAT's why people seem to wreck alot in MY opinion.

Now, as far as Saturday- Brockway, Deleware, Gratiot, Burma... all are awesome stages to drive. Gratiot & Burma can be very rough & harder on the car than the Fri stages, especially if you are in the back of the pack, and especially on the 2nd passes.

But it is worth it to run up Brock & run Deleware. Those stages are simply epic.
Hope that helps.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
159 Posts
After reading all the comments about skipping friday and running Sat. I will stick with my original opinion. Unless you have the budget, a well prepared car and a good crew I would skip Friday. Save the car and yourself for Sat.

The Saturday stages are easily the best group of stages in the country. All different, challenging, fast and extremely FUNNNNN.

If you do Brockway right it will take 2 weeks to get the smile off your face. It would have been a month but they don't let you fly the jump anymore - Thanks Pat Richard

After breaking the car several times on Friday I always wished I had skipped Friday just to do Sat.

I am not saying that Herman, Bob Lake or Passmore are not fun stages. In fact they are also some of my favorites. It's just that Friday takes alot of you and the car. If your just going to putt putt around on Friday to make it to Sat. Save some $$, the car and yourself and just run the fun stuff.

Find me at the rally I will be the Safety Steward.

Good Luck

Steve Gingras

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Steve is right. If it is a choice between Fri & Sat- Choose Sat. It is an easy decision. Sat all the way.

Yes, Pat flew so far it scared people in the next state. People in Green Bay told us to stop jumping there. Bummer.

If you can run both days, run both days and run 2/3 throttle on Fri. It is still worth it (IMO) as the Fri stages are still some of the best in the country.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you're going to be up there on Friday anyway, I would recomend driving. Get some quality seat time on Friday and roar Production class style on Saturday. You'll probably regret it if you only run one day.

Last year, the Saturday stages were the roughest. Limping a wounded car to the finish was even a challenge because of the huge ruts and washouts. Make sure you have a tough skidplate, it will be tested.

The delta is alot tighter than it looks, so go really fast through there. The fans cheer when you screw up, or just do donuts for them, they like that too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
From my point of view I would say the opposite,
If you are only running one because of money then Friday is a much better value. ($/mile)
I also think that Gratiot Lake can bust up a car as much as any stage on Friday.
And in a corny way Saturday felt better when we finally "earned" it by lasting through Friday night.
If you are just getting started and havent run many rallies, I would recommend Friday's stages over Saturday. Brockway, Deleware and parts of Burma are fffffast. If you are just learning your car they may not be the best roads to pick as your first ones.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Run both days. 2 years ago we only ran Friday Night, and I regret that after last year when we ran both days. Yes Herman can be a tough stage but gratiot Lake was worse last year. We lost our rear brakes on that stage. We had to drive safely to finish, but did finish and we were not in last.

The first stage will have many accidents due to the excitment of racing again. We DNFed the first stage at Tall pines last year and I regret that too. I suggest this all the time for beginners, you need to finish first to get the most seat time to get experiance. Expecailly with a new car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts