Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have more fun this weekend at the ol' Lake Superior than I ever have at a race. Why? Simple. Anyone who helped us had the press on attitude.

The community is always great up in the P. The grub at the Suomi Restaurant always warms your tummy and your heart. The steam from the hot sauna rocks from the secret place we stayed made my ears a bit pink and my rally brain relax to get some rest. Overall there is no place in the states that loves rally like Houghton.

My car is sorry we ever ran this race. It kept trying to quit but the Sisu Passi (Thanks boys) kept ripping it apart and throwing it back together again so my car didn't know where it was. Once we got 'er on stage again she remembered agian and but it was too late for the Mazda to give up cause the pedal was down. After it stopped for good Dave Lafavor hauled us to the MTC with his powerful DSM.

Looking at the wheels now from the front it looks like a Van Gogh painting. LSPR is tough on tough cars. It kills the weak cars. I am about out of piddly childs play 1st gen RX7 suspension crap. We're stepping up to something meatier. Luckily the car is at Scrap Iron's garage.

Young Matti did a fine job on the notes AND bossing around his big brother when he had to. Good job Matti.

It looked like a wet time to be a rally worker. Sheesh I hope you all got a sauna. See me if you need one.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>Dude, where's the secret Sauna location.
>
>Rallybrat told me we "didnt have enough time" for me to Sauna.
>+ The super8 is like 160 degrees. Weak.

The secret Sauna location is pretty secret Matt. I can't just go blabbing it all over the internet or it might be too full of Subaru driving wussies next year always hopping off the top bench and leaving when steam is thrown, which unfortunately includes OPENING THE FREAKING DOOR and LETTING HEAT OUT!!! BAD BAD BAD!!!

Since I know you have been training and making good progress I will let you know if you email me at [email protected] so you can make the appropriate reservations for next year. The place is nice enough to just go to for chilling out's sake.

What is up with your co-driver. Was he worried all those fancy curls might come out with some steam???

While most motel "saunas" warn against throwing steam on the rocks and provide no buckets or dipper for washing up this here sauna had a sign on the door that encouraged the tossing of water on their large stove with an ample supply of rocks. Me and Matti were in there till 3 on Friday night taking round after round of kut finnis sauna. I chumped out uf pedt at 7:30 ta next mornink chust r-r-r-retty to milk ta kows an feet ta piks an kut ten korts of of loks for ta sawmill eefen before ta park eksposay

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>Jake, I got vids of ya... Where do i send um?? Ohh them
>yellow car is a beast..... Shoots plenty of flames!
>
>
>
>LP
>#622

Got 'em on CD? Or you could post 'em in Group F for my Windows media player. I tink tats vat my komputer says.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
I chumped out uf pedt at
>7:30 ta next mornink chust r-r-r-retty to milk ta kows an feet
>ta piks an kut ten korts of of loks for ta sawmill eefen
>before ta park eksposay

:+ I love it when you write in Yooper. I can just friggen hear it. Perfect. Car looked good at the Delaware sweeper.

After that we went to Copper Harbor and tried to drive past the end of 41 all the way to the shore with my little street Protege, but turned around when the rocks were denting the floor too much. Then we drove Brockway, as the stage was over and went for dinner at Fitzgerald's. Awesome perch. Came back and had a nap before dinner and cake at the Library and closing the Ambassador with Matthew and Tanner's crew. It was the most civilized LSPR I've experienced in years. Oh yeah...I wasn't entered.

Jake, gimme a call about getting a Mazdaspeed membership if you ain't a member yet.

Lurch

·
L3> over crest, drops!
647 Posts
Great drivin' Jake! I was watching all weekend on the R-A live updates..:7

It looked like you and Utecht were battling hard until he broke/ spun, whatever it was..

Your times were strong all weekend! Way to make the F'ers proud..:7

·
'is the engine bogging?'
429 Posts
>Great drivin' Jake! I was watching all weekend on the R-A
>live updates..:7
>
>It looked like you and Utecht were battling hard until he
>broke/ spun, whatever it was..
>
>Your times were strong all weekend! Way to make the F'ers
>proud..:7

Spun, then mega-spun, then mini-spun and couldn't restart, then broke - we gots a heap o' power, boys!

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
> or it might be too full
>of Subaru driving wussies next year always hopping off the top
>bench and leaving when steam is thrown, which unfortunately
>includes OPENING THE FREAKING DOOR and LETTING HEAT OUT!!! BAD
>BAD BAD!!!

Thank you. I was desparately and futilely trying to teach some of them Subaru boys (2xPGT, 1xGrN) the intricacies of sauna bathing this weekend, but I fear to little avail. They were over-steaming, and you'd have thought it was a revolving door...

One question though - where are the birch switches? It isn't a real sauna without birch switches with which to hit each other. We did finally get a 195 degree temp in the sauna at the Ramada, but it took some serious sauna management.

Jake, if you can find an English translation of "Popular Music from Vittula", you should read it. I think you'd like it.

Love the UP,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>
>Spun, then mega-spun, then mini-spun and couldn't restart,
>then broke - we gots a heap o' power, boys!
>
Mark forced me to drink an interesting concoction...I ferget what the toast was...something like "To an unneccessary excess of horsepower and very little grip" or something like that. Anyway, I can't wait.

Thanks guys. That shot was yummy.

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
>Mark forced me to drink an interesting concoction...I ferget
>what the toast was...something like "To an unneccessary excess
>of horsepower and very little grip" or something like that.
>Anyway, I can't wait.
>
>Thanks guys. That shot was yummy.

You're welcome. I bought, Utecht distributed. They were 1812s.

--
Mark Holden
KC0SUW

219 Posts
Holy Waah Jake!

I second that. I've had some really good fun up in Houghton before but this was the topper.

Christian, thanks for all the sauna training (-ahem- 'bitc&ing..) and showing us how the sauna process is supposed to work. I would have loved to beat ya'll with some birtch sticks that night.

Maybe if they had saunas in Latvia, Otis would have known not to throw water on me while I hovered over the fire. Ouch!

Tanner, thanks for a great battle, you earned it.

The NC Rally and PGT dips into the portage were fun as well.

I had a ball and loved seeing everyone, see ya'll (yes, "_ya'll_")in '06!

Best,
Matthew

Matthew Johnson
CarolinaRallySport.com

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: Sauna stories

>> or it might be too full
>>of Subaru driving wussies next year always hopping off the
>top
>>bench and leaving when steam is thrown, which unfortunately
>>includes OPENING THE FREAKING DOOR and LETTING HEAT OUT!!!
>BAD
>>BAD BAD!!!
>
>Thank you. I was desparately and futilely trying to teach
>some of them Subaru boys (2xPGT, 1xGrN) the intricacies of
>sauna bathing this weekend, but I fear to little avail. They
>were over-steaming, and you'd have thought it was a revolving
>door...

I feel for you. Just show those boys to the hot tub next time. They can sit in someone else's urea for their crimes against sauna

It's all how a guy is brought up. I picked up my 4 year old boys from aiti's in Big Bay and went to the Himes camp in Gwinn on Bass Lake to unwind. Life lessons need to be learned. I told Miles who is fascinated with throwing steam that he can throw as much as he wants if he stays sitting on the top sauna penkki. I told Avery I was going to go cool off in the lake after some kut steaming. The boys made it down to the beach. That's far enough for li'l Himeses in the dark.

>
>One question though - where are the birch switches? It isn't
>a real sauna without birch switches with which to hit each
>other. We did finally get a 195 degree temp in the sauna at
>the Ramada, but it took some serious sauna management.

Look for the sign out in front that reads "Cable TV, Internet hookup, pool, sauna w/cedar boughs"

>
>Jake, if you can find an English translation of "Popular Music
>from Vittula", you should read it. I think you'd like it.

Every Thursday Silas leads the boys out to Gwinn for a night of log peeling or sawmilling or just plain old wood cutting....AND sauna. The popular music there is Conga Se Menne and Bobby Ero all singing along is done in proper Finglish as per the Eben Junction dialect. As far as the Vittula, those are the guys who can't make it out to cut and pile wood and wear silly shorts in the sauna.

>
>Love the UP,
>- Christian

We have a saying: If you are lucky enough to live in the U.P., you are lucky enough.
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
>Holy Waah Jake!
>
>I second that. I've had some really good fun up in Houghton
>before but this was the topper.

That's because your car became dispensable again.
>
>Christian, thanks for all the sauna training (-ahem-
>'bitc&ing..) and showing us how the sauna process is supposed
>to work. I would have loved to beat ya'll with some birtch
>sticks that night.
>
>Maybe if they had saunas in Latvia, Otis would have known not
>to throw water on me while I hovered over the fire. Ouch!

Dude you are killing me with that one. You have to be kidding.

>
>Tanner, thanks for a great battle, you earned it.
>
>The NC Rally and PGT dips into the portage were fun as well.

Oh Poikka!! For sur you are koing to hit statses at next r-r-rally likity slpit kvik kas you are now part suomalainen if you been sauna lake

>
>I had a ball and loved seeing everyone, see ya'll (yes,
>"_ya'll_")in '06!
>
>Best,
>Matthew
>
>Matthew Johnson
>CarolinaRallySport.com
>

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was wondering what was wrong with the rx7.
How'd that fancy light setup work?

I had many long days that week.

Day one I went ditch bangin' and did some damage to the weak bilstein rally shocks. Some where in Menge Creek or Baraga Plains 5 in. of a shock shaft is waiting for someones tire. The car took it like a champ tho.

I got out of the lanse final MTC and knowtice that I had a lot of noise and that I had all the rubber bushings and hardware under my seat with a nub of a shaft. Took car over to B.K. They prceeded to watch me and then turned the lights out on me, and it was right before I went over there to get some food.

Good thing True Value of Lanse has lights on all night.
The jack and tire racheting straps were just the right setup for a drive back to Houghton. I put them sums a bitchs' on it and got 'er all straight and drove 'er home. It felt like a cadilac.

Then on day 2 I woke up late. Brakes are sticking bad. Go bleed them so I can drive it with out cooking the ass end. Get to the mine hoist 20 mins late. A sign of things to come I suppose. I made it to burma and then my wiring for the fuel pump died.

It was a good week end. Thanks to all who put it togeather and ran it soo good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.