Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any wise words from drivers/co-drivers experienced w/LSPR. What kind of terrain? road types? how do the roads change based on weather? how rough are the roads? rocks? etc.....
I know the weather will probably be the biggest factor. I drive a G2 car if it makes a difference in anyones response. Thank you for your responses.
Bryan

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Fast and narrow, with trees close to the road, and leaves obscuring most the ditches and anything in them. Rocky/sandy road surface, can get rutted for later cars, and very slippery when wet. Lotsa night racing, and usually some crap weather. Good lights and rain-X are a must. Cool temps, so plan on soft compound tires. Not very rough, but expect some jumps and set ride accordingly. The most difficult part is finishing Friday night's stages. After the rally head to the Library Bar in downtown Houghton, as that's where the party is.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Don't risk damage on Friday that will keep you from running Saturday. The rallys on Michigan's upper peninsula are traditionally rough. I'm only 2-for-5 finishing POR(79)/LSPR (batting .500 finishing U.P. stage rallies if you care to count Dire Straits in 1987) and each of my three DNFs were early in the event.

Come with all the ground clearance you can - the ruts get DEEP up there, especially on Friday's stages. Getting crosswayts with ruts led to this landing at the 2000 LSPR -

http://realautosport.com/pics/LSPR2000/Flipped1.jpg

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Watch the stages that are south and east of L'Anse. These tend to be a bit rocky, and have a varying base in places; hard and rocky in some, soft in others. This is a higher, cooler elevation area, near the lake, and tends to be more prone to light, wet snow at that time of year than some other stage areas. The combo is: early evening/night, variable visibility with mist/light fog, hard base, covered with clay dirt, wettened by light snow and slush. It's a tricky combo: decent traction on one curve, slick the next. Dunno if they still run the stages directly west of Houghton, but they are the same way. The traction is less treacherous in other areas, due to more sandy base, or they are run in daylight, with less likelihood of light snow.

Like Eric said: More tires are good. While the likelihood is for mixed weather, occasionally it can be claer and warm.

Mark B.

·
Tower City Race Team
502 Posts
Evil Stage Captains

Don't mean to be sarcastic!!.... but watch out for those mean and nasty start control guys who "tell"/"point" you to the the deepest rut at the start clock. Two years in a row, (even different start control workers/crews) cars have been stuck/high centered at the line for multiple minutes causing much controversy. Not so bad, just that one cost Everybody's Buddie the G2 National Championship and the other didn't lose a second (because of appeal).

Just to reiterate what was defended last year, after all was said and done. We (start control workers) don't point you to a lane or spot at the line, just as long as you are up to the line. Many times we have had stragglers start with a tire in the ditch/far left.

Can't wait to see all you guy's. Awesome to see the competition among awesome teams!!! Who says rally died when the factorys left and the privateers were left to fight it out????

As always
Run it till the wheels fall off!!!:D

Edited to add: Don't hurry in Herman, it is a certified car-killer this year (as always!!)

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
RE: Evil Stage Captains

>
>Just to reiterate what was defended last year, after all was
>said and done. We (start control workers) don't point you to
>a lane or spot at the line, just as long as you are up to the
>line.

I sure a codriver will jump in and correct me here, but I thought you didn't have to start at the line. Can't you start farthur back as long as you don't cross the line before your minute?

>
>Edited to add: Don't hurry in Herman, it is a certified
>car-killer this year (as always!!)

Car breaker? Bah! That's the best stage of the rally.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

The stuarts screwed up last year. When I lost the championship, it was my fault. I pulled up to the starting line without turning on my driving lights and didn't see the hole. I spent over a minute there before Henry was able to tow me backwards out of the hole (all the while with the clock ticking on my dime). We could have been penalized for backing up in a control zone as well.

If I remember right, said competitor inquired it last year and it got shot down, then granted by the stewards.

Nobody said the game was perfectly fair...or even fairly perfect.

And Herman is awesome.

·
have SISU!
38 Posts

>
>I sure a codriver will jump in and correct me here, but I
>thought you didn't have to start at the line. Can't you start
>farthur back as long as you don't cross the line before your
>minute?
>

As long as you are at a standing stop when the clock hits 0. No rolling starts.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts

When working a start, I have NEVER pointed a car to where to start. That is your choice. You can be at OR behind the line. You can NOT be moving before the clock goes to zero (no rolling starts - no matter how far back you are).

However, the rulebook does appear to be silent on being BEHIND the line.

And, I have no idea who this guy Stuart is.

>>Just to reiterate what was defended last year, after all was
>>said and done. We (start control workers) don't point you
>to
>>a lane or spot at the line, just as long as you are up to
>the
>>line.
>
>I sure a codriver will jump in and correct me here, but I
>thought you didn't have to start at the line. Can't you start
>farthur back as long as you don't cross the line before your
>minute?

press on,

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts

I remember Herman being a blast to drive. I DO remember a sandy rutted spot, and a really nasty kicker/jump that turned/rotated the car to the Left that was fairly tricky, but that was in 03...

Passmore is awesome, and all the Saturday stuff is WELL worth taking it a little easy on Friday to make sure you get to run on Saturday. Especially if you arent competing for a championship or anything.

As long as we dont run Thayer I'll be happy. :) That was the nastiest stage ever.

Bring every tire you own. Bring your sense of humor. LSPR/POR is always changing. Bring a winter jacket & a knit hat. Be prepared for ruts if you are running G2 & anywhere from 35th back. We started 81st on the road our first time there, and the ruts were so bad our poor Golf barely reached the ground over the ruts thru the first couple stages.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
RE: Side view mirror eating tree

>and DONT FALL ASLEEP on the transit from the friday stages
>back to houghton at like 3am.

This is a very serious warning. I have had problems staying awake on that drive more than one year.

The best thing about LSPR is the variety. You will get some quite rough and narrow stages (like Herman or the one up by Copper Harbor that is not Brockway), some wide flowing gravel superhighway (Delaware), some crazy rough pavement with jumps (Brockway) and everything in between. Add to this variety the fact that you can pull into town at 70 degrees in shorts and have a foot of snow by Friday night. It has day stages and night stages.

Its a great test for versatile drivers/cars. About the only thing it doesn't have is switchback mountain roads.

For me, it is home.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
RE: Side view mirror eating tree

>>and DONT FALL ASLEEP on the transit from the friday stages
>>back to houghton at like 3am.
>
>This is a very serious warning. I have had problems staying
>awake on that drive more than one year.

...stay awake and watch for DEER !!! Especially on transits between Kenton and Houghton.

Jerry

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Mike I was also at Dire Straights that year.
Remember all the Frogs?????

If your running the Clubrally don't even run friday night.
The Saturday stages are the best mix of stages in the country.
Each one is completely different from the others and all are extremely fun.

Gratiot Lake - Very tight twisty with water, a cabin and a square right at the end just for fun. Oh yea its very fast. Fold in your mirrors.

Delaware Mine - Put a brick on the loud peddle and hang on. Except for the spectator corner where you try to show off? Ha Ha Ha!!!!

Burma Trail - Tight Twisty, rough, wet, Hairpin, fast and some pavement just to get you ready for Brockway.

Brockway Mountain - The best 2.53 minutes of any rally I have ever been in. Every flat footed crest with nothing but sky is a little to the right.

Oh thats rights we have notes now and drivers can be really stupid!!!

Don't chance breaking on Friday just run Saturday.

I know I have broken on Friday plenty.

Steve

·
Registered
159 Posts
OK a little more serious now.

If its raining or snowing which it sometime does and you need to work on the car go under the parking ramp. It will be dry.

Carry a roll over bag incase your in the woods for a long time.

Good Luck

Steve

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.