Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all of you may have the benefit of a past academic career at MTU with which to make informed decisions about where to eat, drink, and be merry. So, for you, I present the official LSPR Food and Beverage Guide.

This guide represents thousands of hours of hard work by the Virtual Saturday(*) group at MTU. We've been sampling and resampling beverages, food, and more beverages throughout the great Houghton/Hancock metropolitain area for years now.

Bars and Restaurants:
Ranked in order of my personal preference if i were staying in downtown Houghton or Hancock:

1. Keweenaw Brewing Company
Beer, root beer, pop, and huge sacks of peanuts for $1. And that's it. The beer and root beer are both cheap and excellent. You can throw the peanut shells on the floor. And they let you bring in food from outside. If you're strictly a beer drinker, the best bar ever. KBC beer is also carried by several other bars in the area.

My Favorites: Hilde's Brown Ale.

2. That once place on the 7th floor of the Franklin Square Inn
Used to be Amuerasia, recently purchased by Greg Davis. It seems to be heading in the general direction of what the Library used to be (as I've been told, I never went to the original Library). Good selection of beers on tap. Good food at reasonable prices, nice view, and a seemingly well stocked shelf of scotch.

My Favorites: The Bomb and Chinatown Nachos.

3. Nutini's
Some of my friends accuse this place of being an overpriced dive. It's still my favorite place to curl up in a booth with several pints of Guinness (on tap, wooo!) for the evening. Usually nice and quite unless there's a band there that night.

My Favorites: Lasagna and Philly Steak pizza on sourdough crust.

4. The Ambasador
Neat paintinings on the wall. Stained glass windows suggestive of female anatomy (have a few fishbowls, you'll see what I mean). Excellent specialty pizzas. Drink prices tend towards the high side, so just go for the fishbowls. I think the record is 13 fishbowls.

My Favorites: Long Alaskan, Chicken Caesar Salad, Garlic Chicken Pizza

5. Gemignani's
Another quiet place, good for lunch. I have a slight problem with a small addiction to their Chicken Caesar Salad.

My Favorites: Chicken Caesar Salad, coffee.

6. Fallon's Subs
Subway sucks. Load up on subs for the day here.

My Favorites: #13 and Coke in glass bottles.

7. The Doghouse
Student bar, but with all the cool students. All the not-cool students go to the downtowner. Unless it's warm out, then everybody goes to the downtowner because they have a deck. (coolness ratings highly relative to the social stature of this poster, consult with your resident cool person before embarking on a program of trying to be cool in Houghton).

My Favorites: The pool table.

8. Soumi Cafe
I've never had anything other than breakfast here, and even then, I keep getting the same thing for breakfast. Others assure me that other stuff here is good as well.

My Favorites: Blueberry Pancakes

9. The Michigan House
OK, it's probably a bit of a drive being up in Calumet, but they have seriously good food. Worth visitng because of it's historical connection with the old Bosch Brewery. While you're up in Calumet, they have their own bar crawl worth going on- th next stop after the MI House is Shute's- try the Moscow Mule.

My Favorites: Cedar Plank Trout, all the other bars nearby.

10. Victoria's Kitchen.
The food here is... different. I think it's got a lot of middle eastern influence. But whatever, it works. If you're not easily scared of trying something new, it's a great place to go. And *everything* is handmade. Good for breakfast or lunch.

My Favorites: Chicken Fiesta Omelette, Siberian Turkey sandwhich, and always a side of spicy potatoes.

11. Pilgrim River Steak House
Oops, maybe this one should be a bit higher up. But I always want to order steak here because it's so good. And that's kind of expensive. Especially when they also charge $3/bottle for something like Labatt Blue. Reasonable place for lunch though. Just sit on the side of the restaurant without the bar. The bar side is really loud.

My Favorites: Steak.

12. Schmidt's Corner
Out in Stanton. A soft and easy introduction to a true "local" bar. They also just happen to have really great food at cheap prices. And they serve it until the early morning hours. Need a burger at 1:00AM? This is the place. The bartender also has to do the cooking, so be nice, and patient.

My Favorites: 1/3lb. Cheeseburger with the basket and pitchers of Labatt.

13. The Library
What?! How could I possibly put this way down here?! First let me point out that they brew excellent beer here. The shafthouse stout is still my favorite beer, ever. Outside of that though, I can't really think of a reason to go here. The only thing it's really good for is their extensive menu. If you have a large group of people, there's probably something for everyone on the menu. Beware though, I've had them slap mandatory gratuity on groups as small as 6. Service is iffy. Depends on who you get. If you happen to have $1.4 million, please buy it (yes, it's for sale) and get it back on track.

Favorites: Shafthouse Stout, Guru IPA

14. Bleachers
Nobody is good to drive out to Schmidt's? No problem, the bleachers is here to pick up the slack. Incredibly tacky interior, daily drink specials worth checking for, snacks consisting of anything that can be made in a deep fryer or pizza oven served at all hours, and electronic trivia. And just because you think you're hot stuff for knocking back two fishbowls at the Ambassador, don't get any ideas about this place's 56oz fishbowl. They don't hold back on the liquor. Because they use the cheap stuff. It's gonna hurt, trust me on this one.

My Favorites: Specials on beer.

Jesus? You closed down Bleachers and you're still with me? Call Neil's Taxi, there's only one spot left that's actually open now:

15. Perkin's
You had better be slightly tipsy to think this is a good idea. Everybody else there already is, and the staff knows this. The food is extra greasy past 2AM, and it may not get there right away, but they'll keep the coffee coming until it does. You'll regret this in the morning.

My Favorites: At 3AM after a night of heavy drinking? #####, just about anything sounds good...

(*) Virtual Saturday is a group of people, most of which work or have worked around computers. For historical reasons, we go out in the middle of the week. Discussion usually centers around computers, cars, and motorcycles. This semester we're meeting on Thursdays. Interested in joining us? Email [email protected].

·
Registered
84 Posts
James,

I swear I saw you on the deck of the DT on a not so warm day. Do that make you cool or uncool?

How about an after party after party on Saturday night? (After the bar closes)

-Josh

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>James,
>
> I swear I saw you on the deck of the DT on a not so warm
>day. Do that make you cool or uncool?
>

It doesn't really matter- I'm definately NOT cool. MTC workers are by definition, not cool people.

>How about an after party after party on Saturday night?
>(After the bar closes)

I'm in... If I'm still standing by then.

-james

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>
>It doesn't really matter- I'm definately NOT cool. MTC
>workers are by definition, not cool people.
>

Don't worry, neither are codrivers. That's why they hang out with us drivers. We make them cooler by association. }>

(ducking)
Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>
>Don't worry, neither are codrivers. That's why they hang
>out with us drivers. We make them cooler by association.

Uh huh. If you drivers are so cool, where the hell are all the umbrella girls?

-james

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>Well, hell. Where do us Organizers fit in??

Depends on the job-

Rallymaster: Cool.
Chairman: Very cool.
Scoring: Welcome to dorkville.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>>Well, hell. Where do us Organizers fit in??
>
>Depends on the job-

>Scoring: Welcome to dorkville.

Well, we have the very special extra large stage times reserved for you!
}>

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Well, we have the very special extra large stage times
>reserved for you!
>}>

Don't worry, I'm quite capable of earning them without your help ;).

-james
(Chief or assistant dork in scoring for LSPR for a few years until it was outsourced to RallyAmerica. And also a really slow driver. Who doesn't have a rally car anyway.)

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
What? No mention of pasties?!? Don't tell me the carb-counters have done in the venerable pastie! My favorite shop remains the one in the shopping center we used for parc expose in 2001. Can't remember the name of the place, but I think it was family run and I haven't missed eating there since I discovered them.

Have fun on da U.P. ya'all!

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
My favorite pasties are at Pam's Kitchen just after you cross the Big Mac bridge on the way there, however it is a little inconvenient for picking them up on Friday or Saturday mornings. Pam's works great for the drive to Houghton and home though.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>What? No mention of pasties?!? Don't tell me the
>carb-counters have done in the venerable pastie! My
>favorite shop remains the one in the shopping center we used
>for parc expose in 2001. Can't remember the name of the
>place, but I think it was family run and I haven't missed
>eating there since I discovered them.

Oh, don't worry. Pasties are still going strong in the UP. Carb counting? Sheesh... We still haven't even gotten around to that whole low fat thing. Remember that a quality pasty will have a signifcant quantity of lard as an ingredient.

But still, they mostly all taste the same to me- so I have no recommendations. I did see some guy buy two dozen frozen pasties at the Suomi Cafe. So they must be alright.

-james

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Is that why we take so many triangles with us....two to warn the oncoming cars and one to throw at the driver? Is that why you're ducking?

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.
Most-of-the-time Triangle Schlepper for Dennis.

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Random hits: RE: LSPR Food & Beverage Guide

- Suomi Cafe was jammed packed Sat AM. They took 1:20 HOURS to take our order @ 10AMish (couldn't drag my buddy out earlier).

- re: Pam's Kitchen, if it's the one of which I'm thinking (first on the right, all white, looks like an old ice cream stand, gravel driveway)
1) is my favorite, too
2) closes @ 5pm

- "Where's Victoria's Kitchen?", he said, looking for another good breakfast place.

(edit for formatting which I _still_ can't get right)

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>FOrgive this Okie if I screwed this up AGAIN, but singular
>is pasty and plural is pasties - errrrr wut? I need to get
>to the Keweenaw more often ...

I thought the singular was pastie, but then I was brought up to think of them as a Cornish food... (as in Cornwall, England)

Adrian

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
RE: Random hits: RE: LSPR Food & Beverage Guide

Mr. Bialas provides us non-locals with local knowledge for reviews of establishments but doesn't bother to provide us with locations! ;)

So a little research on my part came up with the following yesterday:

1. Keweenaw Brewing Company 408 Sheldon Houghton
2. Franklin Square Inn (as if we didn't know) 820 Sheldon Houghton
3. Nutini's 321 Quincy Hancock
4. The Ambassador (again as if) 126 Sheldon Houghton
5. Gemignani's 512 Quincy Hancock
6. Fallon's (I also recommend) 532 Quincy Hancock
7. The Doghouse (couldn't find but it must be somewhere near downtown or MTU)
8. Suomi (yummm, follow your nose) 54 Huron Houghton
9. The Michigan House (go blue!) 300 Sixth St Calumet
10. Victoria's 518 Sheldon Houghton
11. Pilgrim's 47409 US41 (two miles south of Houghton)
12. Schmidt's Corner five miles out west along Houghton Canal Road from M-26
13. The Library (hmmmm, anybody EVER heard of this place?) 62 Isle Royale Houghton
14. Bleachers 307 Qunicy Hancock
15. Perkin's (not likely) 1001 West Sharon Houghton

And re: Pam's. Yup that's it. I guess we'll have to hit it Sunday on the way home cuz we'll be way too late Thursday to catch it on the way up.

Kent

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
something these Finns won't want to tell you,
>but pasties are originally CORNISH.

Well, yes and no.

What you're getting in the UP is probably best described as a Finnish-American pasty.

See, a long time ago when copper mines were used for more than endangering the lives of curious tech students or housing bats, there was a large contingent of Cornish miners that had just gotten off of the tin mining boom in Cornwall. When the copper boom hit the Keweenaw, they all headed over.

The Cornish were the ones who knew what the hell they were doing in the mines. They did the drilling and blasting and all the generally fun stuff. The Finnish? They got stuck with the ##### jobs for the most part. Hauling all the rock out of the mines, etc.

In addition to knowing about drills and such, they also new what to bring for lunch when you're mining- the pasty. Stays warm a long time, you can make it with all kinds of stuff from around the house, you can eat it with your hands, and as anybody who's eaten one of these bricks knows, it sticks with you for a long time.

The Finnish knew a good thing when they saw it, and readily adopted it as their own. Although I've only ever had one pasty from the UK, it's significantly different from what you get in the UP. And then there's the whole ketchup/gravy debate- an entirely American affliction.

You see lots of this cross culture stuff. Even the yooper accent- a mish-mash of Finnish and Cornish.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RE: Random hits: RE: LSPR Food & Beverage Guide

Thanks! I was hoping somebody would pick up the slack for me.

Now where's the GPS cooridinates and maps with the locations marked? ;)

-james

1 - 20 of 24 Posts