Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another 1974 Dodge Colt is entered at LSPR (Ottawa/Keweenan) again this year thanks to Steve Baumbach & Jim Gentz. I wonder how many times a Dodge Colt has been entered in the 27 year history of LSPR/POR/et al?

Hope the folks up there post a lot of photo's!:p (OK, I'm biased)

Rich Smith

·
Registered
43 Posts
We had a great time up there with the Colt! This was our first rally ever, and really the first time driving rear wheel drive in any serious performance driving.

The Colt was selected as my first car for safety (good cage), dependability (it has been known to be reliable), and just all around fun.

I hope lots of pics were taken, and if ANYONE HAS SPARE COLT PARTS, I'd be interested in chatting with you. We bent a front right lower control arm and the front left strut at this event, and don't have a spare for the control arm (searching the world for one right now....).

We'll be back next year, hopefully 3 club rallies in the Cendiv region.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations!

Well done Steve BaumBach and Jim Gentz at LSPR!!!

Their 1974 Dodge Colt came 3rd in Group 2 at the Keweennaw ClubRally against a field of 11 other G2 cars. They bested an '89 Golf, '84 Jetta, '77 Corolla, two '88 GTI's, and an '89 Chevrolet (the '68 MGB & '87 GTI were DNF's). Not bad for an old 1600, eh? :+

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rich,
Sorry we had to bail out of Keweenaw. I think Thayer Lake started the damage, and Burma finished off our front oil seal. A quart of oil out the front cover every five miles is not consistent with finishing a rally, at least with intact bearings.
You'll note the MGB took the G2 honors on Ottawa CR (4th overall), by more than 11 minutes. Good enough to put us 21st on the road (overall) on Saturday morning.
Who says old cars have to be slow?

Keep the vintage iron on the stages!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil,

Yes! Congratulations! You really smoked 'em at Ottawa. Bad luck about the engine seal at Keweenaw though. I'd have loved to compare your stage times with Baumbach's Colt. Maybe next time! :)

Best regards,
Rich Smith

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ack, don't compare my stage times until I get a little more than 60 horsepower!!! Just kidding. I laughed hysterically after finishing Deleware Mine stage (a couple corners with one huge straightaway) - my codriver looks over and says, "hey, we hit 80 mph on that stage!" I responded, "Jim, I had it floored for at least one full minute...."

Not to mention driving skill, I have a long ways to go in learning RWD.

But all in all it was a fun rally. I was thrilled to get through Thayer's Lake (that stage was no fun...). We didn't need the power in our first rally. But next year I hope to have a little more...

And congratulations to Phil for an outstanding run in the MG Friday night. I couldn't beleive it when I saw the times you were turning in. I'm really thrilled to see another old vintage car doing so well. Now hopefully I can get the Colt and Steve & Liz Peacock can get their Corolla up to your speed, and we can put on a great vintage car show. I love that Corolla they have, I don't think I've ever seen the SR-5 hatchback version they were driving before, it is one very nice looking car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks, Steve. Look at our Delaware times...60hp (about what we have) at the rear wheels does tend to leave one way down on the list on fast stages like that. Snow/rain/slush/mud tend to neutralize horsepower and trick suspensions. Good for the old cars!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts