Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... to carry some computer equipment back home for me.

Just to clear up the alphabet soup in the subject, I am looking for someone who is towing from New England to Oregon Trail and has room in their rig for some 80s vintage computer equipment that I acquired out here in Connecticut. (I have a small computer musuem at home in Seattle). All of it fits into a small hatchback (2 12" monitors, three small boxes of disks and power supplies and 7 10"x10"x8" computer modules). Willing to pay a reasonable fee.

alan perry
[email protected]

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they do computer equipment unless in manufacturer packaging. Office equipment (including computers) is on their prohibited items list.

alan

G

·
So are engines. I asked the guy in Seattle, said we'd drain the oil so it wouldn't be HazMat. He said that was cool, and just put car parts on the bill of lading.

Build a wooden crate, pack it well, and don't attempt to claim insurance on it.

They really just don't want to screw around with people claiming you've damaged their stuff.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Alan, I'll drive your gear straight from Connecticut (or wherever it is now) all the way to Seattle. I've got a VW Golf with the back seats removed for extra-stuff-age-ability, and I've got some free time, and a continuing case of what my doctor calls roadtripitis.

It would cost you a couple hundred bucks, anyway, in gas and hotel money... but I'm happy to make the trip & I'm sure I'll take better care of your stuff than some putz who doesn't geek out about old computers. Hell, I've a TI-994a collecting dust in the closet if you want it. I've offer you one of our old metal-school IBM PCs too, but we filled it with cement and use it as a mooring now.

Drop me a note off-forum if you want to chat.

-Isaac Taylor, Massachusetts

·
Registered
378 Posts
"They really just don't want to screw around with people claiming you've damaged their stuff."

Matt's right about that. You could box it up and label it foo and they'd take it, as long as you didn't insure it.

-Isaac

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
> I've offer you
>one of our old metal-school IBM PCs too, but we filled it
>with cement and use it as a mooring now.

IBM. Real solutions for a real world. :)

I work for IBM...Some co-workers once made a video making fun of the IBM commercials, you know the ones where they speak in foreign languages and say "ah, IBM!" Anyway, their video had these Russian fisherman who couldn't figure out what to do with their computer so they ended up using it as an anchor. They were quite happy...

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>Alan, I'll drive your gear straight from Connecticut (or
>wherever it is now) all the way to Seattle. I've got a VW
>Golf with the back seats removed for
>extra-stuff-age-ability, and I've got some free time, and a
>continuing case of what my doctor calls roadtripitis.

I went through all of the boxes and there is actually less stuff than I had thought and I may just end up UPS'ing most of it. I have a Corrado out here that I will be driving back home to Seattle when I finish working out here and I can bring some of it back then. I was just worried about leaving the temp sensitive stuff in the car while I am at home for the 4th and OT, considering the high temperatures of the past couple days.

>It would cost you a couple hundred bucks, anyway, in gas and
>hotel money... but I'm happy to make the trip & I'm sure
>I'll take better care of your stuff than some putz who
>doesn't geek out about old computers.

I'll definitely keep you in mind if I change my mind. Wish I had your offer when I was looking at bidding on another computer in Pittsburg.

>Hell, I've a TI-994a collecting dust in the closet if you want it.
>I've offer you one of our old metal-school IBM PCs too, but we
>filled it with cement and use it as a mooring now.

The recent acquisitions are Burroughs/Unisys B20s (built by Convergent Technologies) plus a DataStore set of storage units. These were desktop office computers from the 80s. I wrote software for those things when I worked for Burroughs. The machine in Pittsburg was a Symbolics, which are computers with the Lisp programming language implemented in hardware.

The current highlight of my collection is a DEC VAX-11/750. It is cool because some serious work went into the designing the cabinet, the backplane is all wire-wrap and the Ethernet controller is two 18"x24" (just a guess on the size) PCBs.

I also have a NeXT slab, a bunch of Sun "lunchbox" computers and a Mac Powerbook 540c. What I am really looking for these days is any Burroughs B1000 machine.

alan

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>"They really just don't want to screw around with people
>claiming you've damaged their stuff."
>
>Matt's right about that. You could box it up and label it
>foo and they'd take it, as long as you didn't insure
>it.

I figured they would. In the past I would have done something like that, but these days I thought that actually confirmed that the item was as labelled. Not sure what some of the big capacitors used in older computers look like through the baggage screening equipment.

alan

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
You could box it up and label it
>>foo and they'd take it, as long as you didn't insure
>>it.
>
>I figured they would. In the past I would have done
>something like that, but these days I thought that actually
>confirmed that the item was as labelled. Not sure what some
>of the big capacitors used in older computers look like
>through the baggage screening equipment.

That's right! we're at war worldwide with the Evildoers led by thar guy Al whatever! Can't be too careful!
We have the principle of the pre-emptive strike based on spurious suspicion so I can see it now:
Homeland Security Enforcement Trooper to Alan after screening has detected odd shapes they don't recognize thus alerting them to the likely presence of an evildoer: "ER, Sir, could you remove your hands from your pockets and explain what is in the package."

Alan Perry, who didn't quite hear exactly.." What?"

BLAM! BLAM! then HSET to (former) Alan: "FREEZE MUTHAF***ER".

Yep pretty grim possible scenario Alan, better let Issac drive the junk out to Seattle, he can bring a Cossie 4x4 sump and front diff and a 2,3 Ford alloy diff that a evil(medicinal)(yeah right 8))drug doer was too flaky to return to me before I moved back out here.
Although, it's the heigth of summer so I'd tell him bugger the motel BS, camp out ferchristsakes, get some fresh air in your lungs, see this great beautiful country we love so strongly, I'll do you a route here and back.
You could like it so much you'd leave the crusty cob-web crumbling decadent expensive real estate beyond any reason other that unrestrained greed Boston metro area.
Out here, you may actually be able to rally one day.

Now where is Mark Mason's phone number?
>alan

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
140 Posts
>The current highlight of my collection is a DEC VAX-11/750.
>It is cool because some serious work went into the designing
>the cabinet, the backplane is all wire-wrap and the Ethernet
>controller is two 18"x24" (just a guess on the size) PCBs.
>
>I also have a NeXT slab, a bunch of Sun "lunchbox" computers
>and a Mac Powerbook 540c. What I am really looking for
>these days is any Burroughs B1000 machine.
>

Couldn't talk you into an old Digital PDP-8, could I? Especially one that's hard-wired for a CNC milling machine, lives in 2'x 3'x 4' cabinet, and reads punched paper tape? I'll even throw in the tape punch unit!
:+

·
Registered
378 Posts
Even Neal Cassidy has to take a shower sometimes, John... :)

I drove about 7500 miles on my learner's permit back in high school -- Boston to Montana through Cali. to Texas and back to Boston and camped every night of the trip. I was some stinky by the time I got home, let me tell you. I had planned on bathing au naturel in refreshing mountain streams, and I did, to some extent... but if I forget everything else I learned that summer I'll always remember that one man's "refreshing" is another man's "I AM FREAKING FREEZING MY NUTS OFF HERE PAL".

So having established my impeccable transcontinental pedigree, and demonstrated my professionalism, let me just add that as a general rule I'll courier anything, anywhere. If there's anybody here on SpecialStage who needs some special something delivered from hither to yon, and pronto... and for whatever reason it can't go by UPS or rail, etc... drop me a note at [email protected].

I do a lot driving ferrying my family's objets d'art around in my Golf, and I've never met a roadtrip I didn't like. Happy to deliver cars too, service barges, etc. You pay expenses and put me on a plane home, and I'll drive your precious rattletrap to Alaska, backwards, even.

-Isaac

p.s. For the posh folks, and/or pilots, naturalists, and artistes among us...

said Objets d'art: http://www.bradstory.com/gallery/index.html

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
>Couldn't talk you into an old Digital PDP-8, could I?
>Especially one that's hard-wired for a CNC milling machine,
>lives in 2'x 3'x 4' cabinet, and reads punched paper tape?
>I'll even throw in the tape punch unit!
>:+

Where's it at? What flavor PDP-8? 8E?

Every PDP-8 that I have ever seen used paper tape. Haven't seen any wired for a CNC milling machine, though.

alan

Hmmm. Getting a little off-topic, ain't I?

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>>
>
>Couldn't talk you into an old Digital PDP-8, could I?
>Especially one that's hard-wired for a CNC milling machine,
>lives in 2'x 3'x 4' cabinet, and reads punched paper tape?
>I'll even throw in the tape punch unit!
>:+
Er- Tom, being an old NC guy before I started screwing with furrin' cars, I know somebody who might be interested if it still works, just the thing for doing different PCDs on hats so we can all have way spiffular alloy hats for our brakes.......

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts