Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hokay, my cool neighbors to da Nord...

If you could pick only one Canadian rally to attend (we're coming from SE MI) from the following list, which would it be?

-Baie des Chaleurs
-Defi
-Tall Pines

We are trying to attend at least one this year to get a taste for things. I am leaning toward Defi currently, mainly due to the date. I dont know if we can afford to recce, and we never have before.

Any & all advice is greatly appreciated.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
I'm not Canadian but I play one on TV.
---
Baie is my favorite.
It is far away.
Recce is not as critical to get right as Defi.
The constant air-time will make you smile.
---
Defi has numerous gotchas that, if you miss them in the notes you'll regret it. The route is too complicated to start as your first recce event.
---
The Pines is too late to start, you'll want to do all three.
rz

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Randy. I would love to do Baie, it is REALLY far for us...

How long does the drive from Montreal to Baie take? Or even better, how long from Toronto to Baie (for any of you Ontario ralliests)?...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
John:

Any of the three would be a good choice. Baie and Defi have full recce. I do not know yet what will be available at Pines this year, in terms of provided notes/recce.

Excellent atmosphere for the two events in Quebec. Pines is probably the best overall rally in terms of organization.

Baie is probably the best choice in terms of recce, atmosphere, jumps, etc. but its a long way to drive (no matter how close you get to New Richmond, its always another two hours away).:)

If Defi fits your schedule, then do it. But Randy's advice is very good about the stages. They are fast and tricky to note, so you probably want to have a very experienced co-driver for your first attempt.

Pines can be any kind of rally - from warm weather with hard gravel roads to cold with ice/snow covered roads.

Whichever rally you choose, I can guarantee you will have an enjoyable rally experience.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
935 Posts
You're most likely to get asked for an autograph in Qc, but I'd vote Pines if you had to do just one. Commentary on the quality of organizer prepared notes aside, it usually draws a nice field and has some classic roads. Besides, you'll need all year to save up all the different tyres you'll need.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
I'm not Canadian either but I sometimes co-star for Randy.

Baie is worth the drive and is my favorite of the 3 mentioned. I've been 4 years driving from Virginia each time. Great roads with many sections run repeatedly in various configurations with some fun yumps in spectator areas.

Besides the many car-eating gotchas and technical roads making it a difficult event for your first-ever recce, Defi is typically very dusty with the exception of last year (hurricane).

TallPines character varies much year to year mostly dependant on the weather. The past couple years have seen high attrition rates of DNFs and Bancroft is probably the most difficult of the 3 to find lodging accomodations nearby.

Bring a experienced codriver for the Quebec events. Its tough enough with the different scoring, milages vs kilometers, rules, ... while learning some of it in French.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hmmmm....indeed! :) I love all three events. I agree with Randy though. Baie is far, but it's a sweet rally, compact route, air time, nice roads.

If I had to pick one as an introduction to Canadian rally, that'd be it.

That said, they're all great events with they're own personalities. The other two tend to experience a higher level of carnage though! ;-)

Cheers! John

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Hmmmm....indeed! :) I love all three events. I agree with
>Randy though. Baie is far, but it's a sweet rally, compact
>route, air time, nice roads.

I agree with that, even though Pines is my home event.

As other people have mentioned, Pines has very variable conditions. If you wanted a similar US event, it would be LSPR, both in the conditions and the roads.

Defi has some very technical stuff. Think Maine with more gotchas for an idea of the roads/conditions.

As for travel time to Baie, I'd allow at least 16 hours from Toronto (maybe 18+ towing).

Adrian

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
I'm not a Canadian, but I could easily imagine moving there...

Baie is Rally of The Many Jumps
--also best spectator areas and most rabid fans. includes single roughest 1km in entire CRC, a rocky bulldozer slash along a riverbank with nothing but a couple steel fenceposts to keep you from flying into the whitewater below

Tall Pines is Rally of the Many Tires
--hugely variable seasonal conditions, "winter roads, summer ditches" plus the famous Hot Bits Girls...and oh yeh, 23 jumps on one stage alone with a very famous car-eating rock in one of the landing zones (took out 8-10 cars last year)

Defi is Rally of The Many Gotchas
--even so, the roads are as sweet as anyone could ask for, even a couple short tarmac stages. Rough, fast, wide open, twisty. you name it. Wicked cool dowhnill hairpins

All have extensive night sections. Bring all the lights you have.

Any first-timer's decision is simplified by realizing that you can't pick just one, you GOTTA do all 3!

Check out our team website www.lastditchracing.net to see onboard video of Defi, Pines, and Baie, then take yer pick.

Cheers,

Dave G
Co-Pilote and rally tour guide
LDR

·
Registered
789 Posts
If you had to pick just one...

TALL PINES.

The others are a bit far and while all are good events, Baes is real far (a tad rough) and with Defi you could really use some French.

Cheers.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Remember, Canadian timing is different than RA (but not NASA).

Be leary of crossing the border with someone who has a permit to carry.

They do have fun up there!

Just DO one, or more!

press on,

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
A few years back Tall Pines was my first CARS event. Very well organized w/interesting roads.
The same can be said of Defi and PFR - I am looking forward to my first run at Rocky and Baie this year.
You should also consider running Black Bear on June 18.
btw - Towing to Bancroft is only about ten hours from Grand Rapids, MI.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
As a non Canadian, Baie was my first and it was great, but a long long tow. Not knowing French was only a problem till we got there.

Pines (as far as I got :p ) was also good. No need to know French at all. Spectators and roads were also good. Don't know if I'd like it as much if it was a snow event as I'm really not very good in snow and ice. Slush I don't mind. I'll probably try it again this year (if the money and the car hold out).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Montreal - Pontiac, MI can be done in about 10-11 hrs averaging 65 mph while hauling 7 guys and a trailer with stops along the way for food. Defi is about an hour and a bit from Montreal. Baie is WAY out there... Mapquest gave me another 10-11 hrs for Montreal - New Richmond.

As for suggestions on attending a particular one... I've only spectated Defi (last year), so I can't help much, but it was crazy fast. }(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts