Special Stage Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am really liking this thread.

I am also really liking this series as is and find need for very little change.

What kind of series is this? Tittle MAXATTACK! really says it all doesn't it? Run what you brung and peddle it faster than you ever have.

Who is the series trying to attract? Everyone, because it is the biggest party in town. MA! needs its smaller platform to make it a bigger deal. When there are only 1 or 2 times a year that you get this kind of field together it is exciting. Having people run their local MA! event as their only event of the year says good things about the series. On the other side of the same coin, it says great things, not only about the series, but about the state of 2WD rally in the US if that same all out attack and meaningful competition can attract big names and big money.

I do like the tow fund idea. What is to stop us from making a tow fund thread here much like the 2WD prize funds Charles puts together. I'd give gas money to the highest placing team at the west coast event attending LSPR if it meant seeing deeper competition at the final.

·
I put the hurt on dirt
248 Posts
Holy Tow dudes!
gas is killer expensive.
I'm doing a bunch of events this year because I can, for the first time in awhile.
getting to some of the events has cost more than the entry fees. I've been lucky to couch surf a few times too.
I'm only going to mendicino, because it was cheaper to fly home from reno then drive the rig back up to seattle.
I feel that every event I do - I'm going for the 2wd win.
It felt great to get 5th at Oly. I also know that it was reliability that got me there.

Having said all that, I'm realizing that the car matters, on any event.
Idaho would have made a great Max attack event for the smoothest roads around, but because they were SOOOO smooth, the results shook out quickly and predictably.
Reno would make a better event, the roads were variable enough to give me a shot.

I'm not sure how stoked I am to be racing against nationally entered drivers.
people running the champ, are different than me.
I want to say that a month of prep could get me on the same footing, but they've invested more than I could on doing well.
group2 is where it's at. and I'm happy being able to throw down at one event for some cash, but
I'd rather do more events than fewer, and until I've WON some 2wd events locally, I'm not going dashing across the country.

This mumble might have been influenced by traveling out of the cozy PNW and being shown a thing or two by fast californians.

·
It's time for a sexy party!
423 Posts

This mumble might have been influenced by traveling out of the cozy PNW and being shown a thing or two by fast Californians.
[/QUOTE]

When you're used to running on rough roads, a smooth route is a walk in the park.
There's a few fast 2WD California drivers that didn't go to NNR that could show you a few more things.
Just sayin'.

Sean Gallagher

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Who? Who? oooh the suspense is killing me :p :p /Sarcasm

·
pressing on tirelessly
2,225 Posts
Um, I'm pretty sure I was at NNR... :)

I've run up in the PNW, and swapped some times with Adam at, ummm...OTR 2008? And maybe a DooWops or two? And I know GvB went up there last year and impressed a few people. And I definitely remember having my ass handed to me by a couple of people - Tom Burress sure could pedal that blue bunny, and Cody was stonkin' fast when he had tires. There're a lot of others too.

The fun thing is that the roads and conditions are different in different places, and it always takes awhile for people to adjust. I remember my first DooWops - did ok on day 1 and then on day 2 some wet stuff started falling from the sky and it freaked me out. OTOH, nighttime dust doesn't bother me because I'm used to it. Similarly, exposures don't bother SW or PNW people, but then they head out to 100AW or LSPR and find the water crossings and are, like, "WTF? How do I attack that fast?".

Anyway, I'm really gratified to hear that you liked the roads and suggest us for a MaxAttack event, Adam. I actually had a short email exchange with Lurch about it early last year, but it was just an exploratory conversation. At this point, I'm not sure we could do it anyway. The pre-event planning for NNR is almost entirely just Pete and me, and we're perpetually short of volunteers to work the event. In many ways, the only way we have been able to pull off the event is that we have such a fantastic group of dedicated and experienced volunteers that we often double- or even triple-stack them with duties - and they cheerfully make it happen. At this point, the thought of having more cars, or a more press folks, or spectators just gives me the heeby-jeebies. We're looking at ways to expand our planning committee and volunteer base, but for the moment the plan is to just polish up some of the organizational aspects and tweak the schedule to make it easier for everyone and keep concentrating on putting on a regional event with a focus on the fun factor.

·
R6+ / Cr, Sheeps Maybe
305 Posts
Question; some people keep pitching the east vs west thing out. Has there been anything talked about to try and branch out into Canada?

Someone mentioned the Zedrils, but there are many more 2wd teams on both east and west coasts up here too. With regionals and nationals from CARS,RA and NASA relatively close to the border if there was some incentive to bring Canadians south and American's north I think it would raise the bar in terms of 2wd competition by getting teams out of there comfort zones and truly hone their skills away from their home terrain.

Much like mentioned here
The fun thing is that the roads and conditions are different in different places, and it always takes awhile for people to adjust. I remember my first DooWops - did ok on day 1 and then on day 2 some wet stuff started falling from the sky and it freaked me out. OTOH, nighttime dust doesn't bother me because I'm used to it. Similarly, exposures don't bother SW or PNW people, but then they head out to 100AW or LSPR and find the water crossings and are, like, "WTF? How do I attack that fast?".

Just a thought, that being said I'm relatively new to the rally scene and this is just from following the CRC the last 3-4 years and attending the same national everytime and working one regional

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Before anyone corrects me: I meant STPR for the water crossings, not LSPR.
LSPR would be appropriate on Herman last year. Gratiot in years past. Far, far more water than the splash at STPR. 100AW this year had plenty of deep water, too.

I'd like to run an event west of Divide some year.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I ride public transportation daily. My pass expired at the end of May but will be valid mid-August again. I've been lucky so far that I've not gotten one of the $50 tickets for riding the train without valid fare. I heard recently of someone being denied entry into Canada after getting one of those tickets since they basically call the ticket 'theft of public property.' DUI's and such also fail. There was a discussion once about Tall Pines being a potentially great addition. That thread would have lots of reasons why expansion into Canada will have to be a Canadian based effort.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We're based out of Ottawa, Ontario, so there are several American rallies potentially within our towing range. But we are fortunate to be blessed with so many rallies to chose from here at home, Ontario and Quebec Regional rallies, as well as Cdn National rallies, all conveniently located within an easy day's drive. So we've only ever made it to one US venue, NEFR.

Competing in West Coast rallies is not (yet) within our budget, monetarily or vacation-time.

Our only US event in the year, NEFR, is particularly attractive for us because it's MaxAttack! It's an opportunity for us to measure ourselves against America's best 2wd teams (at least those that can make it out East).

The MaxAttack prize money certainly is a draw, but in three years trying we've still not managed to benefit from any of that. But that's not the only attraction.

Other big events sometime leave you thinking that your lowly presence goes entirely unnoticed. They'll happily take your entry fee, then forget all about you while lavishing all the attention and recognition on only the top three Open Class podium finishers.

MaxAttack however (Eric, Ben, Grant) goes out of its way to ensure that EVERYONE gets mentioned in the MaxAttack Press Notes, EVERYONE gets video coverage, and EVERYONE gets recognition for their efforts whether they were successful or not. After spending all the money to build a rally team, tow to the event, and compete, even if you finish dead last, it's still nice to know that somebody actually noticed you were there. It seems like such a small thing, but it's important.

We've been to NEFR three times now, and each time we make new friends, people whose names I've only known before through these forums, or seen on entry lists and results, but not actually met yet.

Greg Healey in the Datsun 280Z, and Justin Carven in the Greasecar, have come up before to do several different Canadian events with a variety of different co-drivers. Some of you other guys should seriously consider coming up to Bancroft for the Rally of the Tall Pines. Notes provided, two-pass recce, shakedown, awesome roads, and Canada!

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Thanks Ferd. The collective story of rallying is so much more than what happens at a race track. It's an adventure punctuated by intense competition. Hence, proper reporting of the sport, in my opinion, should not follow cookie cutter motorsports reporting practices. To do so does the sport of rallying a disservice. Only through knowing the collective trials do you understand the nature of our sport, and only then can you fully appreciate the accomplishments of those who excel in it.

Tall Pines has been on my list since my dad ran it. Still need to get up there. Need to renew my passport!

·
R6+ / Cr, Sheeps Maybe
305 Posts
We're based out of Ottawa, Ontario, so there are several American rallies potentially within our towing range. But we are fortunate to be blessed with so many rallies to chose from here at home, Ontario and Quebec Regional rallies, as well as Cdn National rallies, all conveniently located within an easy day's drive. So we've only ever made it to one US venue, NEFR.

Competing in West Coast rallies is not (yet) within our budget, monetarily or vacation-time.

Our only US event in the year, NEFR, is particularly attractive for us because it's MaxAttack! It's an opportunity for us to measure ourselves against America's best 2wd teams (at least those that can make it out East).

The MaxAttack prize money certainly is a draw, but in three years trying we've still not managed to benefit from any of that. But that's not the only attraction.

Other big events sometime leave you thinking that your lowly presence goes entirely unnoticed. They'll happily take your entry fee, then forget all about you while lavishing all the attention and recognition on only the top three Open Class podium finishers.

MaxAttack however (Eric, Ben, Grant) goes out of its way to ensure that EVERYONE gets mentioned in the MaxAttack Press Notes, EVERYONE gets video coverage, and EVERYONE gets recognition for their efforts whether they were successful or not. After spending all the money to build a rally team, tow to the event, and compete, even if you finish dead last, it's still nice to know that somebody actually noticed you were there. It seems like such a small thing, but it's important.

We've been to NEFR three times now, and each time we make new friends, people whose names I've only known before through these forums, or seen on entry lists and results, but not actually met yet.

Greg Healey in the Datsun 280Z, and Justin Carven in the Greasecar, have come up before to do several different Canadian events with a variety of different co-drivers. Some of you other guys should seriously consider coming up to Bancroft for the Rally of the Tall Pines. Notes provided, two-pass recce, shakedown, awesome roads, and Canada!
Well said, and congrats to you and Martin the podium finish there this year. Can't wait to see the white rocket at Tall Pines

·
Respectognize!
143 Posts
well i want to make it out for 2012 in at least one maxattack event. first event i plan on running is idaho since well its in my backyard. (i live 4 minutes from HQ...) but since i planned on two or three events, the next will might likely be maxattack as long as its not 2930 miles from me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Go with multiple regional championships where you can accumulate points at every event (whether the event is reg/nat, RA/NASA/CARS, it shouldn't matter). Prize $ should go towards "tow funding" to a centralized "rally of champions" type event (2wd only).

Canadian events should be included if at all possible. Lots of 2wd teams up here.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts