Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who got fired? (Or was it a punctured tank?)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Nobody got fired YET.

After the incident a very disappointed Loeb said that they got lost in the transfer stage, an apparent codriver mistake, because of the 10 extra kilometers they had to travel to get back on track, the precise fuel load they were running in order to save weight brought their demise, they ran out of fuel 5 kilometers to the refueling point. During the interview Loeb looked extremely upset.

This incident may create an opening in the ranks of codrivers and the Welsh Wizard or Machinegun Moya may find an opportunity for the rest of the season. During an interview last night, Grist said that he is very happy that he is commentating this event instead of bouncing all around in the car.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
706 Posts
Apparently the teams measure out the gas to the millilitre to save every last bit of weight. Pretty ridiculous I think... how much speed is that going to give you, VS not finishing at all?? At a completelyk new WRC event that nobody has seen before?

I would not want to be a codriver... seems like they are always expected to be perfect (impossible) and the only time they get attention is when they make a mistake... VS how many times do the drivers crash!!

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
http://www.rallyrace.net/

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
Don't laugh too hard. It can happen to you. I've twice been in a rally car that has run out of gas, although in neither case was it my fault (as codriver). One of them was because of a mechanical failure that caused the engine to use significantly more gas than expected, so we ran out of gas in mid stage. The other one was because the driver (who shall remain nameless) was incapable of reading one of the simplest measuring implements known to man (a dipstick), so we ran out of gas in mid stage.

I'm surprised that the FIA hasn't found a way of penalizing them for being off-route (over and above the DNF). I'm also surprised that the GPS tracking system didn't cause alarms to ring at rally HQ or the team when they deviated from the route. I'm not surprised that they were running to a tight fuel margin.

Adrian

·
Registered
232 Posts
I thought these guys did recce! They (both Loeb and his co-driver)should have been over these roads at least twice. I have no sympathy whatsoever for either of them.

Steve McKelvie

·
Registered
789 Posts
The recce does not include transits.

The recce also does not have the fuel truck/stop set-ups in place either.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>The recce does not include transits.

More importantly, the recce route between the stages may not be the same as the transit route. This allows a much more efficient use of the recce time. Just speculating, but the wrong turn could have been the route they used during the recce.

Adrian

·
Registered
229 Posts
*ran out of gas*?

Adrian, I know a white GTI that has a dipstick to measure the gas with...but the simpilest tool (the dipstick) is useless with a cell filled with foam!:(

·
Registered
232 Posts
There was no reason that they could not have gotten familiar with the transits while they were on the recce. Nothing would have prevented them from travelling on any transit routes. This was a new rally that the teams had not run before, and probably these competitors as well. When they are cutting the fuel load as close as they appear to be doing, then they can not afford not the be very familar with the transits.
I still have no sympathy for them.

Steve McKelvie

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Apparently not all teams cut their fuel loads as close as Citroen chose to. Didn't Markko Martin have to run an entire stage in second gear at Turkey? That couldn't be good for MPG.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
706 Posts
Wasn't recce time pretty short because of the messed up WRC schedule this year?

Anyway.. be interesting to see Loeb in NZ when he's not sweeping.. and to see how Burnsie deals with it...

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
http://www.rallyrace.net/

·
Registered
789 Posts
RE: *ran out of gas*?

You can use a dip stick with the foam in the cell. You can also fit a perforated tube in the cell permanently if you don't like stabbing the foam on a continuous basis.

Cheers.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>Adrian, I know a white GTI that has a dipstick to measure
>the gas with...but the simpilest tool (the dipstick) is
>useless with a cell filled with foam!:(

That's the car - but you normally interpret the wet bit of the dipstick as the fuel level, not the rapidly evaporating bit that comes from the splash up the side of the dipstick... When there is fuel in the cell, the dipstick does get wet.

Bottom line is that the driver thought we had enough gas for the 2 miles of transit and 7 miles of stage. We got through 1 mile of transit and 2 miles of stage... :(

Adrian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>There was no reason that they could not have gotten familiar
>with the transits while they were on the recce. Nothing
>would have prevented them from travelling on any transit
>routes. This was a new rally that the teams had not run
>before, and probably these competitors as well. When they
>are cutting the fuel load as close as they appear to be
>doing, then they can not afford not the be very familar with
>the transits.
>I still have no sympathy for them.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for them either, but when I recced Cherokee in 2001, I didn't drive all the transits. There wasn't enough time to drive the rally route and the stages were not open for recce in rally order.

Adrian

·
International Rallying Icon
669 Posts

Come on Adrian. Just come out and say that Hawkins is a moron. }> So is JD for that matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts