Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I not predict last year that Loeb will take the title this year? This will be the first of many for him. My other picks for the top 5 finishers are also looking good, but I'll have to wait a little while longer to see the final outcome.

What is it with Nicky Grist? Has anyone else noticed his 'slight' bias towards Subaru in his comments? (Suit on and taking cover!)

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Re: Nicky Grist

>He wants a job.

In Mexico he said he no longer had an interest in getting back into a car.

Considering his many other activities now (writing, broadcasting, his own rally school, etc), I can understand.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
RE: Re: Nicky Grist

Not as a co-driver... I read somewhere that he wanted to get into management...

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I sure cant get excited about Loeb as the WRC champ. I'm not saying he didnt earn it with a very solid and trouble-free season, but he just seems so lifeless and void of personality. I just cant get excited for him or his success.

There are people in all sports including other motorsports that you just want to cheer for because they are full of character and bleed with excitement. Petter Solberg is one of these people (of course) as is Colin Mcrae and Valentino Rossi (MotoGP). These folks never give up, always take risks and sometimes they payoff and other times they dont.

I'm just one guy with an opinion, but I enjoy the enthusiasm and the "never die, never take second" attitude of these folks over the methodical, reserved nature of Loeb. It's sure more fun to watch. Corsica was a snoozer. (Yes I'm a Sube fan, and it makes me bias)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah, for sure, Loeb is not exciting to watch. In Mexico, Loeb was one of the least spectacular drivers to watch-however, his times said otherwise. Gronholm, Solberg and Martin are the funnest to watch by far! Carlos Sainz is the absolute king of late braking-I could have sworn he was going to slide to his demise every time I saw him on stage. I hope that next season's "de-tuning" will get rid of the new F1 style of driving and bring back the flamboyant, flying finn style!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<<<< Loeb was one of the least spectacular drivers to watch-however, his times said otherwise. >>>>

But he got the job done. Spectacular doesn't always mean the fastest. This guy is going places.

·
Registered
151 Posts
solid and trouble-free
>season, but he just seems so lifeless and void of
>personality. I just cant get excited for him or his success.

Those soulless, emotionless Frenchmen! We need to see some exciting, romantic, charasmatic scandahoovians on the podium, like Timo Salonen:7

:7 :+

·
Registered
132 Posts
>Those soulless, emotionless Frenchmen! We need to see some
>exciting, romantic, charasmatic scandahoovians on the
>podium, like Timo Salonen:7
>

Not all Frenchmen, just Loeb!

Panizzi has 10 times the personality...that famous donut he pulled off was awesome!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Congrats to him on his accomplishment.

He is an amazing driver but I agree that he doesn't seem to have much emotion. At least compared to Petter.

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
>I thought Delecour was exciting enough....

Always Interesting, that's for sure.

A couple of years ago, when he was driving for Peugot, he was given team order to back off from a Rally that he was doing VERY well in. In order to ensure that Marcus got the better points, of course.

He didn't!!! He pushed just as hard and looked to be in a position to pass Marcus and WIN the Rally. Big, bad, nasty Peugot took him aside and DEMANDED that he slow the pace and he did and Marcus won.

He was very animated and burst out in spontaneuos SOBBING. I know it gets emotional and here was a prime example.

Regardless of the fact I really, truly felt for him, crying on World Wide TV earned him the honorary title of "Deli-Waaa".

I've seen Tommi and Carlos cry and I've seen McRae kick the livin' shizza out of his already wadded up focus. I've seen Marcus swear and Peter swear ALOT, although I'm NOT sure I've ever seen Marcus BLINK. I seen Deli-Waaa rip the gear shift right off the column. I seen Burns calmly reach down and take a sip of water from his straw while the car was like FIVE FEET IN THE AIR.

But what have I ever seen Loeb do? You know, you're right... not very exciting to watch. BUT... when he DOES do something outrageous, you'll be sorry you missed it! LOL!!!

Scott "DKOV" Kovalik
-----------------------

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
>Panizzi has 10 times the personality...that famous donut he
>pulled off was awesome!

Agreed!!! That was awsome! Almost as much fun was the look on the Navvie's face as they went around. From normal, to "omigod, we're loosing it!", to "Oh, he's playing around", to "here we go again...". LOL!!!

Scott "DKOV" Kovalik
---------------------

·
Registered
151 Posts
>>Those soulless, emotionless Frenchmen! We need to see some
>>exciting, romantic, charasmatic scandahoovians on the
>>podium, like Timo Salonen:7

This is what's referred to as sarcasm by us dull Norwegians.

>>
>
>Not all Frenchmen, just Loeb!
>
>Panizzi has 10 times the personality...that famous donut he
>pulled off was awesome!

AGREED! I'd call his Catalunya stunt Hutzpah
}>

·
Registered
132 Posts
>
>This is what's referred to as sarcasm by us dull Norwegians.
>
I, too am Norwegian and I'll take your dull sarcasm and raise you 1 uff-dah :)

Hooray for outspoken Norseman!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"The low-key champion"

Could it be another phrase for "mature"?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes. From reading the article, it appears that Colin McRae could learn a few things from Loeb. Oh well, he never learned the same things from Sainz. But then again Colin wouldn't be as fun to watch as he usually was. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
> "The low-key champion"
>
>Could it be another phrase for "mature"?
>

You've mistaken boring and lifeless for mature.
Its easy to do.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Wasn't it Delacour that was winning the 91 or 92 Monte Carlo when he had a problem and fell back to second or third and in the WRC review from that year they showed the finish and he was crying as was the tv interviewer and just about every fan around? That is passion for the sport if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts