Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
What was the driver of car #18 thinking taking that line into the corner? Not difficult to see why he ended up where he did.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Given the conditions and the fact that that section was barely one car width, perhaps it was an error rather than a calculated driveline. Maybe talk to Warren directly instead of posting a comment like that publilcly. He could give you the answer directly.

MJB
www.pbrally.ca

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't see what happened to your rear bumper but the large chunk of car that fell off when you hit the boulder got run over by almost everyone else and I think the biggest piece was probably no bigger than 6 inches across by the time I left!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
>What was the driver of car #18 thinking taking that line into
>the corner? Not difficult to see why he ended up where he
>did.
>
>Can't see me in your mirrors?
> I must be in front of you!

Hey, Thanks very much for the words of support and incouragement! - NOT!

Since you were NOT there - please keep your lame a$$ comments to yourself!

If you want to know what actually happened go to flat over crest and read my account of what happend - oh and in case you care - yes both myself and my co-driver are 100% okay.

Sorry to come off harsh but 3 and a half rolls into a tree is not some thing to make stupid remarks about.
I hope and pray you (or anyone else) never goes through what we did!
Warren

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
>>What was the driver of car #18 thinking taking that line
>into
>>the corner? Not difficult to see why he ended up where he
>>did.
>>
>>Can't see me in your mirrors?
>> I must be in front of you!
>
>
>Hey, Thanks very much for the words of support and
>incouragement! - NOT!

Hey, you were the driver! Need I say more?

>
>Since you were NOT there - please keep your lame a$$ comments
>to yourself.

No, I wasn't there, but even if I had been, my comments would have been the same. Not lame ass comments, just my observations. You stated yourself that you were flat out over a crest, hmmm, seems someone made a huge error, you as the driver, or your co-driver? I'll let you decide as I'll also wait for your answer as to whether or not you were on notes.
>
>If you want to know what actually happened go to flat over
>crest and read my account of what happend - oh and in case you
>care - yes both myself and my co-driver are 100% okay.

I did. See my response above. It goes without saying that I did not wish you or your co-driver any harm. Glad you both survived. What were you looking for, sympathy? This is rallying. Get used to it.
>
>Sorry to come off harsh but 3 and a half rolls into a tree is
>not some thing to make stupid remarks about.
>I hope and pray you (or anyone else) never goes through what
>we did!
>Warren

No, you didn't come off sounding harsh, only slightly stupid by the way you responded. By the way, is this your first accident?

Looks to me as though you and your friend (?) who also commented on this post earlier have very thin skins. Get used to comments, criticism and opinions if you stay in rallying. It happens all the time. It is a "public forum".

·
Registered
359 Posts
As someone who's been fairly involved in rallying for over 35 years, I am actually a bit shocked at the attitude displayed here over Warren Currie's rollover at PFR. Accidents like this should NEVER be taken lightly, and I fully support Warren's taking exception to the comments made. If this attitude was prevalent in rallying, I'd have washed my hands of the sport years ago. It has not been my experience that anyone should have to get used to such rubbish, as I have always found the rally community to be friendly and supportive.

Warren, I was very relieved to hear that you and your co-driver were OK. (I was running the control at the start of the stage, and initial reports were patchy). And I hope you'll be back with your "Easy Rider" team as soon as possible. Rallying in Western Canada (and throughout Canada)needs people like you.

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rallytaff - you are in no position to make these sorts of comments from behind the computer screen. The incar video will be on flatovercrest.com soon, and no, he didn't GO "flat over a crest"....read a little more carefully next time.

It's fine to discuss accidents, and causes....but to lay "blame" and accuse the occupants of making poor decisions when you weren't even there is just rediculous.

Warren, glad to see you guys laughing it up during the extraction...the "Easy Rider" attitude!

W

·
Flat everywhere
341 Posts
>>>What was the driver of car #18 thinking taking that line
>>into
>>>the corner? Not difficult to see why he ended up where he
>>>did.
>>>
>>>Can't see me in your mirrors?
>>> I must be in front of you!
>>
>>
>>Hey, Thanks very much for the words of support and
>>incouragement! - NOT!
>
>Hey, you were the driver! Need I say more?
>
>>
>>Since you were NOT there - please keep your lame a$$
>comments
>>to yourself.
>
>No, I wasn't there, but even if I had been, my comments would
>have been the same. Not lame ass comments, just my
>observations. You stated yourself that you were flat out over
>a crest, hmmm, seems someone made a huge error, you as the
>driver, or your co-driver? I'll let you decide as I'll also
>wait for your answer as to whether or not you were on notes.
>>
>>If you want to know what actually happened go to flat over
>>crest and read my account of what happend - oh and in case
>you
>>care - yes both myself and my co-driver are 100% okay.
>
>I did. See my response above. It goes without saying that I
>did not wish you or your co-driver any harm. Glad you both
>survived. What were you looking for, sympathy? This is
>rallying. Get used to it.
>>
>>Sorry to come off harsh but 3 and a half rolls into a tree
>is
>>not some thing to make stupid remarks about.
>>I hope and pray you (or anyone else) never goes through what
>>we did!
>>Warren
>
>No, you didn't come off sounding harsh, only slightly stupid
>by the way you responded. By the way, is this your first
>accident?
>
>Looks to me as though you and your friend (?) who also
>commented on this post earlier have very thin skins. Get used
>to comments, criticism and opinions if you stay in rallying.
>It happens all the time. It is a "public forum".
>
>
>Can't see me in your mirrors?
> I must be in front of you!

Good comeback..........Warren is right, you were not there, you have no idea what you are talking about. Why anyone would make a comment like that is beyond me, especially after watching a few seconds of video. Warren is a very good driver and it would appear first hand that he did something wrong, but I am not sure of that, and I was there, 3 cars back and I can say after watching the video I have no idea where you can comment on their "line", unless somehow you think they put in there notes: "over crest, drive into bank and roll". Grip was an issue throughout the rally, but it was on and off, before this corner it was very good, into and through this corner it was not, and it was good when we recced it. Maybe that is why he want off, maybe it is because he was second overall in the championship and was battling hard to stay there at a very tough event. Many people went off this weekend, including me. I did drive too fast into a slippy corner and slid off, I am sure in your mind I deserved it too.

Have a nice day in front of your computer and see you in my mirror.

Colin
car #15 PFR

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: ??

All I've found for a description is this:

" after cutting a left hand corner too deeply and launching their car off the road. "

Pete, if that is all you've got to go on for information, you have no business making a comment about choice of a line.
If you were in a helicopter looking down, you may have a case.

JB cut a corner too deeply at CT05 and knocked a wheel off this spring. He wasn't hard on himself 'cause it was "just an inch".
Want to comment on HIS driving too?

I can't imagine why you need to comment harshly on this incident.
rz

·
Registered
542 Posts
In case you didn't realize, the rally is run with notes. More than a few people, with a lot more experience that Warren, have had some offs running notes.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
inside line

After watching the Easy Rider crash on Flatovercrest.com, it's obvious what happened-- he WANTED to cut too much, launch his car, roll a bunch of times and get slagged online for "what was he thinking...?"!!

Like no other rally driver ever got off line a little, only to pay for it again and again --at the body shop, with their family, with their peers.

Sheesh, the guy was going like hell, cut a corner a little too much, and wrecked his car. He and his codriver are OK, the car is not, That's rallying. Let him be, OK??!!.

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
<<<< But I forgot, you are the exception, never had an off and your car is pristine after every event. >>>>

My, my, some very touchy people out there. I was just waiting for someone to come back with the above. Just the sort of reaction I was expecting from someone else who doesn't like to be non-pc. Do some checking.

This is an open forum and all types of statements and opinions are voiced here. Get used to it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
WHY should I do any checking? You are the one being so critical of Warren's driving. I am be critical of your comments. As is everyone else. You don't like it, too bad.

I'm done pal, hope you can let it go as well.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
How soon we forget...

>What was the driver of car #18 thinking taking that line into
>the corner? Not difficult to see why he ended up where he
>did.

From 1998.
Morris rolled his car at the Gorman Ridge rally last weekend in Southern California.

And from your own bio:
"Unfortunately, this combination was short lived as I put the car off the road, big time, totalling the car, but both my Co-driver, Chris Burns and I walked away, unscathed".

What were you thinking then?
Its rally. If you don't have an off occassionally, you're not pushing hard enough. I was there. Where Warren had lost it was at the end of a very technical section with rain drizzle and slippy sections that weren't there during recce.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Okay - lets try and have this as the last word on this - since I was the one driving the car I do feel qualified to comment. :)

The corner BEFORE the one with the launch marks on it was a Right - as Colin stated grip was "patchey" at best - We slid wide on the Right and were put into a "tail out way too early" for the coming Left situation - I tried to correct - and the right front slid into the bank of the left (which caused the mark on the bank) The softness of the bank caused the right front to dig in and started our 4 seconds of fun.

To answer a few of "your" questions - Yes it was my first crash - Yes we were running our own recce pace notes - Yes it was MY fault - and Yes we are both okay (although "you" didn't really seem to think that this was important in your original post).

I want to thank ALL of my rally 'family' for their support - it is because of you guys and gals that I was at my warehouse this morning already taking the tarps off and taking a look as to what needs to happen next.

Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts