Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Official pre-sweep vehicle
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of putting a limited slip differential in a rear-wheel drive rally car? Are some brands or designs better than others? Do they need frequent repair?

·
Registered
248 Posts
A clutch plate limited slip differential is one of the most important modifications to any rally car.

1. Real rally tires.
2. Good suspension with adequate travel, spring rate and damping.
3. Clutch plate LSD.

·
left 6 through dip into weeds
279 Posts
Jim,
The only con I can think of is cost, especially if you're dealing with an application that is no longer produced. I have no idea what unit the Volvo will use, but I know that the stuff for the R200 in my Z is rare and pretty expensive.
That said, barring operator error, it's basically a one-time cost, because with a small amount of maintenance, the clutch-type units are pretty bulletproof. My guess is that if they're used with monster HP and pavement, they may wear faster, but overall, a very good investment.
May have to change your suspension settings and/or driving style a bit to accomodate the bit of push you get. Well worth the traction advantage.
Have fun!
Greg

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,632 Posts
Volvo rears are Dana products, and have readily available limited slips and ring and pinions. I beleive this has been true since the 120 models. Go the rallyanarchy.com and ask John Vanlandingham if you want more info about what to do with a Volvo.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Finding a clutch type limited slip for a Volvo is actually a real problem! The solution is to use a Toyota 8" axle from a pick up. The Toyota axles have a huge aftermarket selection of differentials and r/p ratios. These axles are also strong, cheap and readily available.

Give John a call at 206-431-9696 Pacific time. He will tell you all about it.

Robert.

·
Registered
124 Posts
... and if you can't afford a good LSD, weld the open one you have. I think this is better than a crappy LSD.

-Martin.
welding a diff that is fine in a front wheel drive car where the driving wheels are steering, in a rear wheel drive car it will push on into the corner, handle like a dog!

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
welding a diff that is fine in a front wheel drive car where the driving wheels are steering, in a rear wheel drive car it will push on into the corner, handle like a dog!
True, but it requires a change in car set-up and driving technique.

I can verify that a WRC rally has been won in a RWD car with a welded differential.:)

·
150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust
1,042 Posts
I run a full 35 spline spool read end, its solid;)

It does not push the front end but kicks out the rear, the big horsepower helps too.

The only problem I have is going into a turn (off the gas), it slides too easy because it wont free wheel the rear axles:eek:

Bill Holmes
Truck #44

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Going to convert to an open diff to fix that bill ? :p

·
150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust
1,042 Posts
I've been talking to Currie Ent. and they have something in a 35 spline they want me to try;)

Bill Holmes
Truck #44

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Nah. You just have to grab it by the balls and drive it aggressively.

·
"you could of had a V-8"
63 Posts
I also run a full spool RWD and I don't have a problem with a push at all. If he's running with a pegleg, one wheel drive, he needs forward bit more than anything! Get someone that knows how to do it properly and weld it up and call it done!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
pegleg driving is kinda fun though, nothing like that feeling that you're pushing as hard as you can through that R4 long and then seeing your tac climb from 3.5k to 6k but yet you don't speed up. LMAO then it catches and goes back down to 3.5k doh!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts