Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does NASA or R/A have a death benefit available to competitors? I thought SCCA used to when they held the rallies, but I can't seem to find anything in either R/A or NASA regs. Hope I (or anyone else) would never need it but would like to know anyway.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE: Death Insurance at events?

I don't know but why is it call life insurance anyway? Seems a more fitting term is death insurance.

·
Ibumpedmyknee,icannotcont inue
2,066 Posts

Actually. I don't really care. I was just going to get your boat going then let you know I was just busting you chops. But then I decided that I would probably never come back to this post and leave you hanging for ever so never mind. It's been a long day.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

>Actually. I don't really care.

I know its kinda morbid, but true that they mis-named the term.
Come back to the post as the answer to the original question is important info.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
>Does NASA or R/A have a death benefit available to
>competitors? I thought SCCA used to when they held the
>rallies, but I can't seem to find anything in either R/A or
>NASA regs. Hope I (or anyone else) would never need it but
>would like to know anyway.

NASA has a $15K Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit under its policy. May it never have to be used.

Wilson

"Rallying is not easy at all sometimes. If you are not lucky, you are not lucky, and if you are lucky, you are lucky - everything works well. But today was, today was not so lucky."

Tommi Makkinen - 2001 RAC Rally

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

>I know its kinda morbid, but true that they mis-named the
>term.
How about "sway bars" for a mis-naming.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think it's a good time for us to remind ourselves that all motor sports are dangerous. I think danger and risk is only a part of the sport's appeal but an aspect that does attract some of the wonderful and interesting people involved.

It's also a good time for us all to remind ourselves that with risk must come personal responsibility. It is our personal obligation to insure ourselves and see that our family and loved ones will be cared for should anything happen when we make the choose to participate in a sport or hobby that is inherently dangerous. The most effective safety rules are the ones we make for ourselves.

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Rim of the World Rally

·
Registered
803 Posts
from someone who has gone through the hoops and actually has insurance coverage for rallying, and having to do multiple tests, pleas, showing videos, demonstrating this and that... its not easy, but it is do-able. Just not cheap.

I went through this to be 100% certain and positive and got it in writing that we would have coverage specifically for accidents happening while driving in a rally, at a rally, at service, getting t-boned, etc. Because while they often state that certain activities are covered, we found several loopholes that could have been exploited to their advantage, because it was not deemed 'racing on a cosed circuit' and it could have been interpreted as be 'speeding on public roads' but there was no mention of 'closed roads' and crap like that. Whom they might go after to recoup their costs... that is another matter.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE: Health Insurance in extreme or high-risk sports?

>How about "sway bars" for a mis-naming.

I think the term is "anti-sway bars" and lazy people shorten the obvious.

Back to topic (sort of) I've heard that some health insurance companies/plans won't cover medical bills caused by accidents participating in extreme sports. I verified mine will but its something worth checking if you haven't already.

·
Registered
135 Posts
RE: Health Insurance in extreme or high-risk sports?

Down here our sanctioning body (CAMS) has an insurance policy that covers all competitors and officials at events for their medical and ambulance bills, plus there are injury, disability and death benefits provided as well. If we need to make a claim all we have to pay is the excess of $400. We pay for this through our licence fees and a levy that the sanctioning body charges organisors per crew for each rally, which is passed onto us as part of our entry fees.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>from someone who has gone through the hoops and actually has
>insurance coverage for rallying, and having to do multiple
>tests, pleas, showing videos, demonstrating this and that...
>its not easy, but it is do-able. Just not cheap.

I dunno about Canada, but I do know that in the States at least 2 companies will underwrite life insurance for a rally driver. Last year work bought a policy on me, and I have the dubious double whammy of being both a pilot and rally car driver. It took some searching, and a bit of explaining, but my broker eventually found a couple companies willing to play. Without the pilot thing (and the 29 year old single, childless, male thing), there would probably be more companies willing to take the risk.

Smokers, skydivers, bungeejumpers, mountain climbers, motocross riders, etc.. all get insurance. Rally is no different. This isn't a big deal.

Now, as far the events carrying insurance on you...why?

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: why?

As a crash survivor, I know the best thing that happened to me was to have two insurance carriers. They fought the hospital's bills and fought each other. Without them doing the dirty work, I would have been overcharged and under-represented, all this happened while being in a heavily sedated state and too "out of it" to figure any of it out on my own.
rz

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
RE: why?

>Dennis, can you share the names of the two companies you
>found that will cover rally drivers?

Sorry, but I can't remember! Since I left that company they canceled the policy on me. Our broker handled all of it, he knew the companies, I just filled out the forms. If it's that important to people, I can do some digging, but I really prefer not to deal with my former place of employment unless I absolutely have too. The companies are out there, and I'm sure any reasonably competant broker can find them for you.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.