Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how old do you need to be in order to start rallying cause me and my brother want to start soon and i wanted to know how old you need to be

G

·
the general rule of thumb is that you have to be old enough to drive since events take place, partly, on public roadways.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
From the SCCA 2001 rulebook (the oldest rulebook that I have) until the SCCA 2004 Revision B rule book (the second spin of the 2004 rulebook issued after significant errors were discovered in the printed version), the minimum age for driver and co-driver was 16.

This was removed in the R-A 2005 rulebook. I am not sure why. I have looked through my drafts (I edited that rulebook until early November last year) and I changed it in late October, but I cannot find the note indicating at whose direction I changed it.

As described in the R-A 2005 rulebook, the minimum age for a driver is the minimum age for a driver's license in the state of residence of the driver. If the co-driver choses not to hold a driver's license and does not ever drive the can, there is no minimum age specified. I'll see if I can get a clarification from Niday.

alan

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: freudian slip?

A nice one Alan.
can for car?
Like tin-can on wheels?
The N isn't even close to the R on my keyboard.
And I know mine sounds like one.
rz

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: free tip

Here's a free tip, Russell rally racer...
Think the process through.
Usually it is the old guys who make and enforce rules.
Since the only way an impression is formed on a forum like SS is by your typed words, type like an oldster.
Sometimes it'll get you past a grey-area or even get them to make an exception.
This free tip comes from one who has gotten one past the rules-makers many more times than I can count.
rz

·
Registered
935 Posts

I bet Jens will be happy to be your internet grammar tutor. Generally, I'd say that by the time you actually get a car going and save enough money to enter an event, you're likely old enough.

edit: I premised the above on the assumption that someone would like to drive. If you two would like to sit in the ballast seat, start as young as possible and advertise your 'weight savings'.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well my brother and i already have a car its just that we have to get a new cage installed in the car and then were ready to go.we were going to try for headwaters to have the car done but thats knida pushing the limit. i think were gonig to run at ojibwe tho. i hope

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
RE: freudian slip?

>A nice one Alan.
>can for car?
>Like tin-can on wheels?
>The N isn't even close to the R on my keyboard.
>And I know mine sounds like one.
>rz

Very funny, Randy.

The mind works in strange ways. I frequently add 'not' or leave out 'not' when I intended the opposite. I almost always type 'Europa' instead of 'Europe' first time through (except when I am referring to the Lotus car, then I type "Europe"). So, maybe my brain did mean something when I typed "can" instead of "car". Unfortunately, my brain isn't letting me in on it.

alan

760 Posts

>well my brother and i already have a car its just that we
>have to get a new cage installed in the car and then were
>ready to go.we were going to try for headwaters to have the
>car done but thats knida pushing the limit. i think were gonig
> to run at ojibwe tho. i hope

Look up

www.NASARallySport.com

go to "Racing Leagues" and "Full Calendar"

We have a number of events all over the country, the closest
to you would be the two events in Michigan.

For licensing and licensing rules, please see

www.NASARallySport.com
www.UnitedStatesRallyChampionship.com

You need to pass a licensing course given at our events
to obtain the basic NASA rally license.

Ivan Orisek
Chairman & Clerk of the Course
International Rally New York, Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2005
Rally New York, April 15 - 16, 2005
Rally New York Rallycross Series, March 6, 2005
845-794-4096
[email protected]
www.RallyNewYork.com
http://www.hometown.aol.com/RallyNe...004/Index3.html

·
Registered
901 Posts

For those with a short attention span, Nasa Rallysport requires you have a valid driver's license: that means, you have to be at least 16 (in most states), and this nicely answers the question as posted originally.

Question: what states have a minimum driver's license age lower than 16, and what is it?

Thanks!

KT

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts

One issue that I have brought up with JB is that some states have "Intermediate" licenses for 16 year olds. These licenses limit the driver to driving alone during certain hours. Outside of those hours, the driver must be accompanied by a person of a certain age or have a special work/school permit. If the event has very late stages, like Friday LSPR, such a driver would need to have a co-driver of that certain age.

Would these intermediate licenses be recognized in other states? If so, would the other state recognize the limitations as well, particularly if the other state didn't have an intermediate license? You might say "of course, they would recognize it", but I found instances of states that did not accept some instructional permits from other states, so it is possible that intermediate licenses may not recognize something called an "intermediate" license, thinking it is like an instructional license.

I also wondered if this means that the event registrar (or the person who checks the driver's license at registration) must be familiar with all this to know whether a particular license is valid in the state where the event is being held.

JB is looking into it.

alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts