Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jari-Matti Latvala will miss Rally Argentina after breaking his left collarbone in a skiing accident.

The Finn was cross-country skiing in Lapland as part of his training programme on Wednesday when he suffered a fall.

Latvala has since undergone surgery, and will not be fit for the next round of the World Rally Championship in a fortnight's time.

Ford hopes he will be able to return to the series in time for round six in Greece at the end of May.

The team has yet to nominate a replacement for Latvala in its Argentina line-up. Petter Solberg drives its second works car, while the satellite and independent Ford team driver squads include Portugal winner Mads Ostberg, long-term Ford protege Ott Tanak, and Portugal podium finisher Evgeny Novikov.

The injury is the latest in a string of blows to Latvala's 2012 WRC title bid.

After Mikko Hirvonen left for Citroen, Latvala was promoted to number one status and expected to lead Ford's pursuit of Sebastien Loeb in the championship. But although he won Rally Sweden, crashes in Monte Carlo, Mexico and Portugal have left him back in sixth in the standings, 38 points behind Loeb, even before the injury blow.

click: autosport.com/news/98781

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I wonder if Wilson will be able to (at some point in the season) determine that ford should back Peter for the drivers title chase as the #1 driver (for this season) I feel bad for JML, he's one of my favorite drivers, but i love Peter and I would love to see him win a 2nd World Rally Championship.

damn Jari this just isn't your year :(

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
What's the problem?

·
WRT Media
262 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford World Rally Team has finally confirmed Dani Sordo and Carlos del Barrio will join the team for next week's Rally Argentina, following regular driver Jari-Matti Latvala's skiing accident.

Ford team director Malcolm Wilson confirmed the deal with the Spaniard was for the South American event only, with Latvala expected to be back in the Fiesta RS WRC in time for the Acropolis Rally later next month.

"We're naturally disappointed that Jari-Matti will miss the rally, but ensuring a full recovery as quickly as possible is the most important thing for him and the team," said Wilson.

"We're fortunate to have a driver of Dani's calibre to join us," Wilson continued. "His experience at Rally Argentina was a key factor in the decision, having started the rally five times and finishing second in 2009.

"The agreement is for one rally only, and I would like to thank the management of Dani's current team, who were extremely gracious in helping us in such challenging circumstances."

click: autosport.com/news/98941

---------------------------

Prodrive chief Richard Taylor said the Banbury team had no problem with allowing Dani Sordo to switch to the Ford World Rally Team for next week's Rally Argentina.

Sordo, who has competed in Argentina five times - finishing second the last time he competed there with Citroen in 2009 - was confirmed as Petter Solberg's team-mate in the Ford World Rally Team this morning.

The Spaniard was not scheduled to contest the South American event with his current Prodrive WRC Team - but he will now come off the bench to deputise for injured Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala. The Finn broke his collarbone in a skiing accident last week.

Taylor said: "Dani is not doing all the rounds of this year's championship with us and it is important for him to drive as many events as possible.

"As well as that, it's good for the sport for Dani to be out there competing; it makes sense for the spectators to be seeing the best drivers. Ford has suffered some misfortune with Jari-Matti [Latvala] and we have been able to help by releasing Dani to drive in Argentina."

click: autosport.com/news/98942

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
On that note, any chance Ford detunes the car a little bit to help guard the car setup? maybe motor and suspension detuning?

·
RallyX Weenie
672 Posts
On that note, any chance Ford detunes the car a little bit to help guard the car setup? maybe motor and suspension detuning?
For a guy nominated to score manufacturer points? I'd guess no - they know they really need those points, and in this case have many less issues with someone going from one factory car to another, rather than one of their customers (like Ostberg or Tanak) stepping up from their customer-spec car to a factory-spec car [and then having to go back].

And, I really doubt that any setup things Sordo picks up from running the Ford will be much help to Prodrive - the Mini likely has to run stiffer on gravel than the Ford or Citroen, simply because of the significant decrease in suspension travel. And it's not as though Prodrive doesn't know that's an issue.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ah. that makes a lot of sense. i just wan't sure , good point too on why maybe its best not to pull up a customer driver to a factory spec car ..

should be an exciting rally, wonder how fast Dani will be in the ford...

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
For a guy nominated to score manufacturer points? I'd guess no - they know they really need those points, and in this case have many less issues with someone going from one factory car to another, rather than one of their customers (like Ostberg or Tanak) stepping up from their customer-spec car to a factory-spec car [and then having to go back].

And, I really doubt that any setup things Sordo picks up from running the Ford will be much help to Prodrive - the Mini likely has to run stiffer on gravel than the Ford or Citroen, simply because of the significant decrease in suspension travel. And it's not as though Prodrive doesn't know that's an issue.
It will give Sordo a great sense of where the Ford is in terms of how it has to be driven and what the feel is for the car relative to its speed and that information will give him an improved barometer for the testing work...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts