Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mid Engine Fun
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Does anyone know, if anybody has run a Scorpion in rallies. I was looking at building up a Scorpion to G2 rules and then moving to G5 with and 2L turbo engine change out and if I have the time make a Montecarlo 037 body.

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Somebody around here (hey Ben!) must know the story of this
>car, I want to hear it too.

Dave Clark is probably going to be a good source of info on this one. I don't really know too much about the genesis of this car, other than it was a "Happy Club" project.

My first recolletion of it was the 1989(?) (may have been 1990) Slippery Creek Rally out of Enumclaw. Sam Bryan drove it to great effect. He was showing great speed, but had some flats and possibly some minor mechanical problems which dropped him down a few places. Dave Snyder, who was one of the owners (or the owner) drove it a time or two, and at one Doo *** weekend in the Capitol Forest it was driven by New Zealander Alan Carter (possibly one of his last rallies as a driver).

It definitely sounded and looked different from anything out there at the time. It was quick, but prone to mechanical ills (keeping the carbies in tune was a chore, from what I remember). I know it did at least a couple rallies in Alberta, in fact I think it won one of the regional rallies overall (a Calgary Winter Rally in the early 90s) with Sam driving.

This is all off the top of my head. Somebody could probably prove me wrong or provide some more useful details with a bit of actual research.

I looked through some of my pictures from '93 and didn't find anything, so it was probably more in '90 or '91 that it ran (I was still with Erik Thompson in his Volvo 142 at that time).

I did find an amusing picture of Dave Clark at the 1993 ORV Park Sprints. Dave, what's it worth for me not to post it? It features a conical chapeau and some crinkled sheet metal....

Cheers!

Ben

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am in the process of preparing/restoring a Lancia Scorpion for the RallyX series here in Florida. I say restoring because every time I expose another part of the car I am greeted with more of the fine 70’s Italian corrosion thanks to that cheap Russian Metal supply.
Currently I am running twin IDF’s but have sourced a Bosch L-Jetronic FI from a Fiat Spider.
The difference between a Scorpion and Monte Carlo are few but important. The Monte Carlo came with a 2 ltr Version of the Fiat Twin Cam. Because of US emission regulations Lancia was only able to import the Car with an anemic 1.8 ltr smog motor. We are talking 88bhp for the Scorpion while Europe got 110bhp in the Monte Carlo.
Also the Scorpion cam with single headlights which rotated up when on to meet US minimum Headlight height regulations.
The biggest problem with the Scorpion/Monte Carlo was with the front brakes locking up too easily especially in the wet. This was due to a power brake system that was way over-boosted. Most Scorp/Monte owners have bypassed or removed the power Brake booster.
The hardest parts to find for the Scorpion here in the US are The Windshield (Damn near impossible) and Struts (X1/9 struts are easily adapted)

BTW The reason why Lancia called the car the Scorpion in the US and Monte Carlo in the rest of the world was due to Chevy having dibs on the MonteCarlo name here.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Dave Clark is probably going to be a good source of info on
>this one. I don't really know too much about the genesis of
>this car, other than it was a "Happy Club" project.

>
>I did find an amusing picture of Dave Clark at the 1993 ORV
>Park Sprints. Dave, what's it worth for me not to post it?
>It features a conical chapeau and some crinkled sheet
>metal....
>
>Cheers!
>
>Ben

Come on Ben, post the piccie.
I made that hat for Dave since he was _supposed_ to be selling the car and had dough in hand but had to go and play ORV King one final time.
A front flip and one car wadded and NO FAWKIN SALE so he needed some sort of crown, so when I was at the weenie stand I saw those and talked the folks there out of it and gave it the "Oafish-al" debut of the Oafish-al spelling.
Dave like the hat cause it FIT and _was_ appropriate.

Post the piccie.

·
Mid Engine Fun
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anthonyvop,

Have you gotten you Scorpion up and running? It would be great if I could see some photos of your build up.

So are you turning the Scorpion in to an 037 EVO II with a turbo?

Where did you find you Scorpion, because the only place I have found them is on ebaymotors?

·
straight at T
647 Posts
>>
>Come on Ben, post the piccie.
>I made that hat for Dave since he was _supposed_ to be selling
>the car and had dough in hand but had to go and play ORV King
>one final time.
>A front flip and one car wadded and NO FAWKIN SALE so he
>needed some sort of crown, so when I was at the weenie stand I
>saw those and talked the folks there out of it and gave it the
>"Oafish-al" debut of the Oafish-al spelling.
>Dave like the hat cause it FIT and _was_ appropriate.
>
>Post the piccie.<<

For the record the car was never sold, I never had any money in hand for it, it just had for sale signs on it. But yeah, John made an "oafishal dunce cap" which I wore like a good sport. Go ahead and post it, Ben. I used to have a copy of that pic but my dog ate it or something.

·
straight at T
647 Posts
OK, the official story of the Happy Club Lancia Faux37.
This was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away so some details may be fuzzy.

First of all, for some background, the Happy Club was a loose group of rally friends and we took the name as a play on the Jolly Club betting organization that sponsored the Lancia factory junior team back then. This was in 1990. Requirements for membership were that you had to have rolled a car practicing. Rolling a car in an actual rally didn't count but we did give out honorary memberships. Some members were me, Sam Bryan, Dave Snyder, Mark Thielke, Jeff Feet, Paul Morgan, and a few others. I don't even remember who all, but these were the main players with the Lancia. This was largely a social organization. We would meet at Jeff Feet's shop, Pacific Race and Rally, after work or on weekends and go to dinner or see a movie or just get drunk and work on the Lancia.

The Lancia was actually donated from a road racer who had owned the car since new and had stripped it all apart to build it into a race car. Then he checked and found out it was not eligible for any road race class. Kinda went at that backwards. So he gave it to Pacific Race and Rally and we decided it needed to be a rally car. Dave Snyder ended up being the owner somehow as he had been into Lancias and Fiats in a former life and had a bunch of engine parts and carbs left over from that. We all had a hand in building it. Paul Morgan built the rollcage and other chassis fabrication. I made the steel roof panel (fabric sunroof stock) and did the bodywork and paint. Dave Snyder did most of the work on the car, probably. He built the engine and other mechanicals. He worked at Tacoma Fiberglass at the time and he made the 037 replica rear hatch out of foamcore and fiberglass and a tubular steel frame. Sam did the wiring and other things, I'm sure. Since the car came in a basket and was not totally complete and we had no budget we had to improvise and scrounge a lot of things and the car quickly became a Frankenstein. We had a dry erase board and we kept a tally of all the different brands of cars that we used parts from. I'm pretty sure it was into the double digits. Here's what I can remember from that list: SAAB steering rack, Opel taillights, Mazda radiator, Yugo windshield wiper motor (no kidding!), Lotus rear bumper, Honda (I think) front bumper, Tokico rally struts for a Toyota, etc, the list goes on.

The car made it's debut at the Doo **** in 1990 with Sam driving and Snyder codriving. The car retired when the oil filter seal blew out. Dave built a new 2.0 liter engine and we prepared the car for the Rocky Mountain Rally in Calgary that year. The engine break-in consisted of driving the car to Ellensberg before loading it onto the trailer. Dave was always constantly fiddling with the carburetors. We had this saying that if Dave Snyder had worked on something it had been "Snydmotized". It was all in good fun but it was also slightly derogertory. I remember that he actually had the car running pretty good when we got there and we didn't want him to Snydmotize it by trying to make it better so we hid the Weber jets from him. He wasn't happy about that when he found out.
So we get up to Calgary with this wacky car and the Canadians don't know what to think. They think it's the weirdest, stupidest looking thing they've ever seen. I don't know why since Tim Bendle was driving a Fiero with huge fender flares and wing! Well, some eyebrows were raised when Sam and Dave in the Lancia started out swapping stage times with Bendle throughout the rally for a podium spot. Wojtek Grabowski pretty much led start to finish in his Celica All-trac. It was a pretty wet, muddy, sometimes snowy event. The Lancia had maybe 130hp at best, but it was light. Bendle's Fiero had a Pontiac Motorsports 3.0 liter 4 cylinder pushing close to 300hp. But it broke as always and retired. Sam and Dave ended up finishing 2nd overall in the National event and winning the regional. They finished something like 5 minutes ahead of the Sprongl brothers in their Audi. On the last stage, which was the muddiest, Sam caught the Sprongls! That was the Sprongls first full season in the Quattro.

Sam drove it once or twice more after that and so did Snyder. Alan Carter drove it once as Ben mentioned, with Mark Simons codriving. It retired with clutch problems or something. Later the car fell into the possesion of Mark Thielke after Snyder left the country to join the foreign legion or something. Mark helped service and codrive for Snyder and Happy Club several times. Mark drove the car at least once but I remember the shocks were completely worn out and the car was bouncing all over the place! He's still got it as far as I know, wherever he is.

-DC

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
I forgot that Marc Thielke had ended up with it. He did the divisional rallies associated with the 1999 Wild West, and he also did the Kananaskis rally near Calgary later that year (I happened to stumble upon this while doing research on another topic yesterday).

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but here is the promised picture of Doivi Clarkinen.

http://www.reed.edu/~bradley/doivi_orv93b.jpg

Ben

·
Registered
321 Posts
>Anthonyvop,
>
>Have you gotten you Scorpion up and running? It would be great
>if I could see some photos of your build up.
>
>So are you turning the Scorpion in to an 037 EVO II with a
>turbo?
>
>Where did you find you Scorpion, because the only place I have
>found them is on ebaymotors?
>
I have the motor running. Still working on the rusty bits. I found my first Scorp last year while on my way woth cash in hand to buy a Merkur Xr4ti. I saw a scorpion parked in front of a autoparts place and went in and asked if it was for sale. It wasn't but the owner sent me to his friend who had one for sale. When I arrived he had 2 scorps and 6 X1/9s in his back yard.
I bought one and started building it up slowly. I was just about to give up when I found some cracks in the frame when I happened accross another while scrouging for parts. I sold the 1st one and bought the other for $500! The owner of this one had started a racecar project so it had some interesting pieces.
Coil-overs, MSD, Fuel cell(Only 8 Gals)and some really cool BBS style 15 inch wheels. Also he had the 037 front and rear fiberglass bumpers and air-intakes that go on the buttress. The front was all torn up but i had already purchased one for the 1st one.
It came with a 2ltr engine with the 1.8 heads which supposedly boosts the compression.
The 037 is was built with the cabin of a Monte Carlo but the front and rear were all custom built with tube frames and alike. So to build one would be way out of my $$$ League.

When I am done with my scorp I will post Pics and Video on our website. We are going to use it as one of our show cars so it will be for RallyX and track Days. Maybe some Historic stuff as well.

A great source of info is at the Lancia Scorpion Yahoo group. Here you will find true Scorpion Geeks. There are not many left as they only imported about 1400 all together!
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/LanciaScorpion/

I also have alot of other Scorp/Monte Links. If you want e-mail me and I can share them with you.

·
Mid Engine Fun
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone

The links that I have gotten have be a great help with aiding in my decision on what mid-engine car I would like to get into rally after college. I think I might continue looking at other alternatives to the Scorpion.

All of your responses have been great.

Jay

Rally worker soon to be driver I hope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts