Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from Specialstage going to be there tomorrow? If so, catch me at the Mitsu press conference. I'll be the 17-year-old. My name's Andy, and I'm with Kelly Communications. It'd be cool to see someone from the board.

I spoke with them today, and they said they'd have 'special guests' and probably talk about the rally team. I'm guessing the drivers will be there. So I'll have some pics and news tomorrow when I get home...

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Yes, the drivers will be there, at least some of them. Wish I could say more but I'll let them do a proper unveiling. The rallycar is not supposed to be the actual car though. Kudos to Mitsubishi for keeping the only All-American Open class manufacturer team.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It is 11:55 PST, and I already know who the new driver is for this year. Umm unless my info is wrong, the driver is not American. Hopefully the Evo VII will be at the Philly Show in the Mitsu booth, but again Detroit is scheduled that same time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
>Kudos to Mitsubishi for keeping the only All-American Open
>class manufacturer team.

????????

Not exactly. I suggest finding a new source of information. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Boy, I could have done without the "Fast and Furious II" being part of the deal. The rally guys got, what, 45 seconds on stage and no speaking parts? Sheesh!
But, the Evo is here! With Ralliart!

·
Registered
415 Posts
yeap, it will be archieve at the same site location. It will likely take about 45 minutes to turn the video and get it posted...

We have a camera man on site, and we will have driver comments and images of the team on the front page by tomorrow morning.

Jeff Burmeister

·
Registered
240 Posts
no, the time of the event according to the evo email was 11:55. and my info was right that it was DHiggins and Laughlin for Mitsu next year. Now to wait till my friend gets Evos at the dealership. Too bad, they require money down for a test drive.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Not exactly. I suggest finding a new source of information.
>;)

Lauchlin O'Sullivan and Mark Williams.
Unless Subaru changes their mind and go with a US driver and codriver in the same car this year. If so, even better.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I heard the cars were being built in England. RalliArt is definately part of the deal, and I think they're building the cars...

·
Registered
483 Posts
According to what I heard on the webcast, Ralliart will be providing support for the two factory cars. With Mitsu out of the WRC this year, it should be interesting to see how much effort they put forth in ProRally. Even though the Drivers where only on stage for a short time,and the "Fast and Furious 2" bit, the webcast mentioned Rally more times than I have ever seen in any other media event in the US.

This next year is going to be an interesting one for Rally in the States...

Matt

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
At last, it's official

Mitsubishi will field two Open class cars: Lauchlin O'Sullivan and Mark Williams in one, David Higgins and Daniel Barritt (sp?) in the other.

Mitsubishi has a stellar line-up this year and has an outstanding chance of taking one-two in the overall championship if the cars are reliable. Go, Lauchlin! Go, David!

Lance Smith was at the presentation in team shirts along with a few others.

Also saw Kurt Spitzner, Sean Conlan, Dave Coleman, Josh Jaquot, George Plsek Jr, Andy Munten and Richard James at the show. Toni Honsowitz was there too with Hyundai, as was Larkin Hill with Subaru.

Fast and Furious stuff was goofy, but screen ads are everything. They called the Evo and Spyder the "hero cars." I guess it's no different from the 007 cars and the Batmobile displayed elsewhere.

I heard that Petter would be at the Detroit show and really likes to party.

For the Road Racers, Audi announced that Galati and Pobst would run SCCA GT again next year, but in the new RS6.

Porsche debuted the Cayenne for North America. No plans for it to compete in motorsports at this point. I figure it'd be a great Dakar car.

Pontiac displayed the GTO, with 0-60 figures about as good as the Cayenne.

Sir Jackie Stewart introduced the new Jaguar XJ.

Rally on!

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is what I found out about Mr Kennard, chief of
Mitsubishi Motor Sports Rally Team. He is a former
co-driver who as placed in world level competition.
He appears to have last worked at with Subaru teams
as a wheel in the All-Stars organization. It looks
like he has switched sides, and is now working for
the red team. Nice to know where the new people are
coming in from...

From this I would have to say Ralli-Art is involved
in a major way with the new team.

John Kennard
Last name Kennard
First name(s) John
Country Great Britain
Sex Male
Task Codriver

World Rally Championship Results
View compact results

Pos Year Rally Driver Car Gr Pos

7 1987 Rally of New Zealand Stuart Weeber Toyota Starlet A 7

3 1988 Rothmans Rally of New Zealand Malcolm Stewart Audi Quattro A 3

24 1998 Network Q Rally of Great Britain Juha Kangas Subaru Impreza

http://weasel.student.utwente.nl/~rallying/index.php?type=profile&driverid=243

For Immediate Release
2 February 2001
Championship winning team features new car and new management for 2001

The Subaru Allstars Team will make its 2001 rally season debut on the next round of the World Rally Championship, The Rally of Sweden, which starts from Karlstad on the 9th February. With the benefits of an enhanced management structure and an improved car specification, the team is aiming to continue the successful Championship winning form it displayed last season.

The Allstars team offers drivers a flexible, factory team service, and can tailor a rallying package to suit an individual?s own requirements. The team has enjoyed considerable success, and in 2000 helped secure the FIA Teams? Cup for Toshihiro Arai, who has gone on to join the Subaru World Rally Team, and supported other customers around the world to achieve no fewer than 9 major national titles.

Following the departure of Team Manager Paul Howarth to a position with the Subaru World Rally Team, two new management appointments have been made at the Allstars. John Brunskill joins the team as Customer Support Manager bringing with him more than 20 years motorsport experience, while John Kennard becomes Customer Events Manager drawing on many years event experience gained as a team co-ordinator and co-driver. Motorsport Services Manager David Campion meanwhile retains overall responsibility for the team.

http://www.rallycodriver.co.uk/news/subarunews.htm

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RE: At last, it's official

You can find pictures of the team and mock car at my site:

http://vrpaddock.m4driving.sm/articles.php?content=la_auto_show_2003-p

Scroll almost to the bottom.

The quality of the pictures is pretty bad... I wish Mitsu would turn the lights on.

Some EVO VIII stats for you:
hp: [email protected]
tq: [email protected]
Ground clearance: 5.5"
Curb weight: 3263 lbs
Weight distribution: 60/40
Front brakes: Brembo 12.65" with 4 piston calipers
Rear brakes: Brembo 11.8"
Wheels: 17x8" Enkei forged alloy
Tires: P235/45ZR17 Yokohama Advan A-046 (AWESOME!)
Fuel Economy: 18/26
0-60 mph: 5.0 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.8 seconds
Lateral acceleration: .96g (!)
Price: under $30k

cool...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts