Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on Rally Live:

"According to a source the World Rally Championship could be saying goodbye to the Safari Rally in 2003. Although rally supremo David Richards outlined a basic three year plan for the rally, which is held in Kenya, at the beginning of the season, during which he said he would like the rally to become a completely closed-road event in 2004, it would now appear that this season's Safari Rally could be the final one.

But while Kenya may be out of the picture next year the Championship is not saying goodbye to Africa. At present there are talks going on between the FIA, motorsport's governing body, and MSA (Motorsport South Africa) with regards to South Africa hosting a round of the Championship. However as yet nothing has been confirmed. "

There was also something in there about Rovanpera running the 206 WRC car at Corona - Mexico.

Robin

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not sure how geared up South Africa would be to host a WRC round, but if my memory serves me correct, under FIA rules a series can only be regarded as a "World Championship" if held on four continents. At present, we have Europe, South America, Australia and Africa. If Kenya is dropped I would find it hard to believe South Africa would get an event with no history of running an event at this level.

So, we will either have no championship, Safari will remain or Asia, North America or the Antartic will be in the running!!!! I'm pushing for the latter!!!! No spectator problems........heehee

Don

1 - 2 of 2 Posts