Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt
-1973 volvo 142E
Yes i am the Kid that John Van was talking about at the wild west pro rally... I want to say I don't have a deep love for them. I just have one.
In case you read that post of his...:p

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
RE: Walker's Volvo ...

Jim Walker & his Volvo (with college librarian Ginny Reese aboard when Joe LeBeau wasn't) were consistently a podium threat, back when there was but one class.

From a 1975 press release, "Jim Walker and Joe Le Beau of Ann Arbor, MI, drove thier Volvo 142 to victory in the Lancia El Diablo Pro Rally in Green Bay. Walker and Le Beau defeated 28 other rallyists from across the country on the icy roads of northeastern Wisconsin to capture fourth place in the Lancia/Wonder Muffler Pro Rally Series."

He came 2nd on the 1976 Wonder Muffler Northern Lights NARA Rally in Midland, MI. and 2nd at the 1978 Twenty Stages Rally in Michigan just 0.19 seconds behind Scott Harvey's 4WD Dodge Aspen - to name a couple.

More info (including his time in an Alitalia FIAT 131) is available by searching http://www.rallyracingnews.com/

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
265 Posts
RE: Volvo 142s

Both Jim Walker and Tom Tolles were top five contenders in their Volvos in the mid to late 1970s.

Topi ran a Volvo on the West Coast in the early 1980s with some success as well.

Doug Mepham has an immaculate 142 that he uses for Vintage Rallying. His most recent conquest was Targa Newfoundland where he and Jim Kenzie (www.thestar.com/wheels/) finished 4th.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts

A couple more recent Volvo 142s (glad somebody mentioned Jan Jolles, he was quick in his 142).

Jeff Griffin ran a heavily-modified 142 in the California Rally Series for a number of years with great success.

In the NW, Erik Thompson ran a 142 for about four years, with yours truly co-driving for three of the seasons (my first ride in stage rallying!). We had some top three finishes (alas, never a win), admittedly this was before AWD was all the rage (although there were a few GTXs out there at that point). It can be a competitive Gp 2 car.

http://www.bensrallypage.com/beninfo/erik1.jpg

This is a shot of Erik's first 142 (of three), circa 1990. He says he'll be back out there with another 142 one of these days (he has all the parts he needs...).

Ben

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Matt
-1973 volvo 142E
To the last reply...
Do you know the guys email address? The one who says he wants another 142 rally car. And he has all the parts he needs? If so that would be great. Thanks

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts

>Do you know the guys email address? The one who says he
>wants another 142 rally car. And he has all the parts he
>needs? If so that would be great. Thanks

E-mail me at [email protected] -- I'll send you his e-mail address. I don't want to post it publicly (I doubt he'd have a problem with it, but you never can be sure...). I don't think he's quite ready to go rallying yet, but hopefully it won't be too far off.

Ben

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

This can't be a real rally car ;) There's no stickers on it }> I had a 142 that I ran in our 'brisk' TSD NEPRO series in the early 80's. When I told some people that I was putting together a stage car they assumed it would be a Volvo. I think it would be a fun RWD car to compete in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Matt
-1973 volvo 142E
Maybe its being used as a sweep car? It looks like it has o roll cage!

·
Registered
245 Posts

"I think it would be a fun RWD car to compete in."

Don, wanna help with my 145 I plan on putting togther next year? (time/money willing) :eek: Well, somethings got to replace my 142 I rolled in Maine '99... its either the wagon or a 4 door I just found, lol! Though the 4dr shell is absolutly perfect, would be almost a shame to rally it. Anybody want it? No, a cage wont be going in my street car. :) Oh, if anyone is interested, I have FIA Rally homologation papers for 122's/142's, and lists of mods/stuph volvo offered back then.

Nick Polimeni
'71 Volvo 142E (daily driver/RallyCross)
Editor, Blue Mountain Region, SCCA
[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Matt
-1973 volvo 142E
So r u going to rally a 145? You should use the 144!

·
Registered
245 Posts

The curb wieght on the 5 door is only 150lbs more than the 2dr. At least on the '68 thru '72 cars. And that weight can be stripped out of it. Besides, I just like being obtuse. And what could possibly get more attention than a 22yr old in a 30 year old Volvo than a 22 year old in a 30yr old Volvo WAGON! :+ Yes I know I need to see a shrink...

Nick Polimeni
'71 Volvo 142E (daily driver/RallyCross)
Editor, Blue Mountain Region, SCCA
[email protected]

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts

>This can't be a real rally car ;) There's no stickers on it
>}> I had a 142 that I ran in our 'brisk' TSD NEPRO series
>in the early 80's. When I told some people that I was
>putting together a stage car they assumed it would be a
>Volvo. I think it would be a fun RWD car to compete in.

It definitely was a stage rally, and was one of the 1990 Doo *** rally series. Yeah, it must be 1990, because we had that green '72. The following year we had a white '73, following the demise of the '72 in a rollover.

This photo was, of course, taken before the recent proliferation of required decals. Rather than spend money on the big fancy numbers, the event organizer just used numbers like you see on used car lots for the prices, and we only put them on the right side of the cars for the benefit of the control crews.

If this is the event I think it was, we finished 17th, having spent some time nosed down a bank.

Ben

P.S. If you want to see more photos of our 142s in action, I can probably oblige. This is the one shot I happened to have scanned and on my web page.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I would love to see more photos of 142's in rally! Can u post them here? I got sponsered today for just 20.00 bucks a rally for having 1 sticker on the car! Is that a good or bad price for me? Whats the norm? It is not a car company or nothing so i assume thats pretty cheap.
Matt

·
Banned
2,738 Posts

Back in the mid '80's, when I rallied in Belgium in the Liege International Police Rally, my navigator, Fred, told me of the time that a Finn by the name of Reuben Borjesson, rallied a Volvo (Topi knows him). For some reason he could not get the lights on his car to work. The only light that worked on his car was a roof mounted one. He had no time to get the others fixed. This was back in the days of real rallies, 450 miles of them! Anyway, Reuben was one hell of a driver and guess what? With only the one light working, he won the rally! All this on a rally which didn't start until 1900hrs and ran until 0500-0600hrs.

·
Registered
4 Posts

> Oh, if anyone is interested, I have FIA Rally
>homologation papers for 122's/142's, and lists of mods/stuph
>volvo offered back then.
>

What years do the papers cover? I would be interested in seeing them. I have a 1966 122s and a 1960 544. My plan right now is to make the 122 a rallycross car by summer. If I can get my wife to let me really play with them, I would love to turn one into a rally car for the historic class.

shane

·
Registered
768 Posts

- While in WA "North Bend Rally", going 100MPH, my local navi said:" Look at that big hole in the forest - that's were Eric stuffed his Volvo 142!" Sure enough, there were a Volvo size "clearing" at the end of the long straight... Ben, were you there?

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts

>- While in WA "North Bend Rally", going 100MPH, my local
>navi said:" Look at that big hole in the forest - that's
>were Eric stuffed his Volvo 142!" Sure enough, there were a
>Volvo size "clearing" at the end of the long straight...
>Ben, were you there?

I think that was the year after I stopped running with Erik (or maybe the year after that) when Cam Jackson was co-driving for him. Was that the year Erik lost his fiberglass hood in the middle of the stage and everybody ran over it? It survived, and he ran it for the rest of the year with tire tracks on it and all.

Or was it the year Erik and I rolled the white 142 but still finished? That was at the end of a straight, but around a blind, off camber, decreasing radius, narrows, road drops corner that wasn't in the route book (but was the following year).

I sure enjoyed that rally, pity Weyerhaeuser won't let us back on those roads.

Ben

1 - 20 of 79 Posts