Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the EDITORIALS section....
... and maybe it could be put to better use.

Sometimes the BBS format isn't the greatest for getting a complicated thought across un-interrupted, as we've seen it often degenerates into a flame war.

Assuming the Editorials section is OK for long opinion pieces, such as "How the SCCA/PRB/Whatever Could Be Improved", or "Suggestions on Classification Reorganization", or "History of Issue Such-and-Such Since the 80s" that may provide a better place to post ESSAY-type writings (ie more than 1000 words) so they can stand on their own merits. As it is they seem to get buried in really long threads surrounded by flames and one-liners, and eventually disappear off the BBS just to resurface months/years later. Then discuss it it the forums, but have it posted in a separate area. I think this is a useful and important distinction.

Admins, I dont see anything in the Editorials section that says how to submit one, might want to add something.

PS: Great editorial, Derek. Having come from an "eco-commie" family, I'd have to say that most of the rallyists I've met so far have had a pretty positive attitude towards the environment - more so than the average offroad enthusiast, or for that matter, rural "local". We have a lot of space here in the NW, compared to say Europe, and if anything they are more eco-defensive than here, so I'm sure we can work something out. Heck, even donate some money from each event to creek restoration projects. I'd be more than happy to swallow a $20 entry "tax" for something like that.

Skye "BC Boy" Poier
Seattle, WA

--
Team Irrational Racing
Coming soon to a forest near you!
http://www.irrationalracing.com/

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Just noticed the EDITORIALS section....
>... and maybe it could be put to better use.

We'd be happy to post/publish constructive pieces that are sent to us.

>Assuming the Editorials section is OK for long opinion
>pieces, such as "How the SCCA/PRB/Whatever Could Be
>Improved", or "Suggestions on Classification
>Reorganization", or "History of Issue Such-and-Such Since
>the 80s" that may provide a better place to post ESSAY-type
>writings (ie more than 1000 words) so they can stand on
>their own merits. As it is they seem to get buried in really

That is what it is there for.

>Admins, I dont see anything in the Editorials section that
>says how to submit one, might want to add something.

I suppose that would be a helpful piece of information to have... Feel free to mail submissions to me at [email protected].

I know Derek is working on another piece, and I would like to see more if anybody feels like submitting a well-thought-out / researched opinion piece, rather than just a destructive rant.

>Skye "BC Boy" Poier
>Seattle, WA

Ben "Also BC Boy*" Bradley
Portland, OR

*it has been a while...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, "well-thought-out & researched opinion piece, rather than just a destructive rant" was what I was trying to express in my post above :)

Its a give and take; you give the SS review board (is that just you, Ben?) some discretion about what is posted and what isn't, but on the other hand, if it gets into the editorial section it carries a little more weight than if it was just a post in the Forums.

Hopefully well thought-out & researched editorials would not be rejected solely because their opinions were contrary to the SS staff's opinions, so a clear set of rules about what is acceptable and what isn't would be good (ie profanity, spelling, personal attacks), as well as who is responsible for doing the reviews, to head off any complaints of unfairness down the road (hehe this sounds familiar)

Skye

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Its a give and take; you give the SS review board (is that
>just you, Ben?) some discretion about what is posted and

The "review board" is rather loosely defined at this time, but yeah, in this context it would probably be me.

>Hopefully well thought-out & researched editorials would not
>be rejected solely because their opinions were contrary to
>the SS staff's opinions, so a clear set of rules about what

Definitely not. We'll take the usual "opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of specialstage.com" route, but we are not about to censor a well-written piece if we don't necessarily agree with it.

If it can get us sued for libel/slander, we probably won't print it.

We want people contributing to the page. That's what it is here for.

Ben

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
I also just found the editorials section. Derek's article was extremely well done.

Doug Woods

1 - 5 of 5 Posts