Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Rally-Live.com

"Richard, with Ian McCurdy, of Whistler, B.C., as navigator, stretched the gap to six minutes, 34 seconds, by the end. He completed 158.36 kms. of special stages in one hour, 27 minutes, 32 seconds, at an average speed of 108.55 kph."

From Rally-live.com's live results for NewZealand Rally SS1

Average speed for Richard Burns on SS1 was 108.9 km/h

so is Pat as fast as Burns ?

Now, don't go telling me that the two rallies are different etc etc. Its just an observation that I found interesting...thats all.

- Sumit

edit : added my explantion before i got flamed :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
But it is interesting, I mean lets take both guys, put them in two fast but same rally cars, let them drive the same stage to compare.

Think of it this way, would Ralph S. be fast without ferrari? NO. Montoya said himself "if team Arrows was running 15th, then put Ralphy in the car he would maybe run 13th." Im not saying that car is the only thing that matters, but think of all the variables there are in rally.

So if we take burns and richard and controlled all the variables that we can, who would be faster?

Ok now flame away, but you have to admit, who wouldnt want to know the results hmmmmmm?
}> :7

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Guys before you make uh, amusing comparisons, think a bit, and look
at the average MPH or km/hr for the last approx 10 yrs.for the WRC as a whole. It is around 90 km/hr, Corsica brings the average down with its approx 70-75km/hr average and Sweden and finland brinbg the average up with their 114 or so.

Now what you get to see, because it is on film, it has to be more open so there is something to film but GO LOOK and the thing that is most striking is not the sheer speed, as you can see here, that's similar or same, but how narrow the roads are. Hell, i lived in Sweden for years and drove down roads which were used as stages hundreds of times, and didn't give them any thought cause I was driving down them at 60-75 km/hr just to get to a gravel pit or someplace to ride my moto-cross bike and wasn't attuned to the whole picture. When have been back to those same roads in the 80s and 90s now that I have done rallies, I am SHOCKED!!! how narrow they are, how close the stumps and rocks and big piles of logs are to the road and how generally twisty the roads are.

We all are on a big Continent,you Canajians as well as us ****** Yanquis and we have big trees here relative to the trees I have seen in the UK, Sweden, France, Germany, etc that I have seen.

I have been pointing this out for years and posing the question: are we big heros since we average nearly the same speed as the winning average on the WRC and all the team managers OUGHT TO BE WAITING at the end of the events with multi year contracts for all of us, or maybe we, with our wimpy amaturish built cars with almost no experience compete and much bigger roads which are much straighter?

BTW, The reason I push Legacy, Galant, Sierra, and 240 Volvo is that for US and even moreso Canada, the longer cars arean aid in stability for us amatures on these fast roads we use.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
665 Posts
>I guess we have to wait for a WRC event in Canada or USA to
>find out then, LOL:p

Or look at the Corona results from this year where Rovanpera tore the other competitors a new one...

We ran Voyageurs, it has great roads, very fast. My co-driver claims we hit 160kph on Pickeral 2 - in a P3 car. ACP said something about hitting 180 kph+

The first 5 cars on Blackwater 3 exceeded an avg. speed of 120kph

Robin

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>ACP said something about hitting 180 kph+
>Robin

Blackwater 3 (A7): ACP ran an average speed 123.6 kph, and top speed of 186 kph.

Coralbally yours,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
Co-Driver
Timefactors.com Rally Team
Gingras Rally Sport (SCCA)
Musketeer Racing (CARS)

·
Registered
199 Posts
With that said, dont forget how much seat time some of the top driver have had, especialy the WRC guys. Richard only having 4 years in rally, and look at all the thing he has done in just that time. So does that mean he could be "World Class" maybe not yet, but one day?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
No offense to Patrick but my money is on Ramana, he has been at it for less time than Patrick and he already has his foot in the door with a European based team.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Only because he started in the USA, where the series has more money, more competitors, more spectators, and more factory backed teams. I am not saying he is better or worse, but I think it would be a good race.

.....Go Pat Go.... LOL:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts