Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rally-Live reported that Loeb was given a 5 minute penalty for not finishing SS6 yesterday after a crash. Hello WRC? Did you ever hear of DNF?

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Loeb is now in fourth place and will likely end up in second. While it is a fine display of driving, it has absolutely nothing to do with rallying, as I know it.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Rally-Live reported that Loeb was given a 5 minute penalty
>for not finishing SS6 yesterday after a crash. Hello WRC? Did
>you ever hear of DNF?

Well, Don, your subject line got my attention.

It is such a shame that rally is continually being degraded into a manufacturer popularity contest rather than real rallying.

More and more I cherish my rally memories from the 70's.

Mark my words everyone in the U.S.: If you stay on the current path of FIA alignment you will eventually end up racing in stadiums.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We now have the motorsports equivilent to a golf mulligan...such progress.

On the brightside, folks like Galli and Duval are able to use the "Super"Rally system to keep their jobs .

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Scott Molvar #899
'93 Nissan Sentra
(sexy primer grey)

Rally News and Info - http://rallydirt.com

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good system for better show

- Like it or not it made the rally more exciting!
- If you were spectating, and paying up to $ 50 a day for tix, you too may like the new system...
- I know I do and look forward to 3rd day now. Before it was a dull day everyone limbing home.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: Good system for better show

I have nothing against them getting back in the rally for seat time, exposure (TV, spectators),testing, or whatever. But to get back into competition for points and the podium is not right. What if he had crashed on stage 5 and not finished 5 or 6? Would he have gotten a 10 minuute penalty and still been able to continue? It's absolutely not right IMHO and many other I feel. Run again, certainly. Compete for points, certainly not.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts

>I have nothing against them getting back in the rally for
>seat time, exposure (TV, spectators),testing, or whatever. But
>to get back into competition for points and the podium is not
>right. What if he had crashed on stage 5 and not finished 5 or
>6? Would he have gotten a 10 minuute penalty and still been
>able to continue? It's absolutely not right IMHO and many
>other I feel. Run again, certainly. Compete for points,
>certainly not.

Its something like fastest time in class plus 5 minutes (how fair is that when teams are running 2 minutes back and staying on the road?)...

I say if they are going to let them back into the competition they keep the clock running. Takes 5 hours to retrieve the car? Thats a 5 hour penalty! Also means that the team only can recieve makes points and not drivers points, unless everyone bins it....

Don't forget that there were drivers in WRCars that recieved a substantial handicap on the first two stages through no fault of their own. The cars that didn't make it to the first stage due to inpassable transit roads recieved the time of Solberg, a total penalty of almost 4 minutes compared to the front runners for teams with more appropriate tire choice...

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts

It should be just a 5 minute penelty the way it worked out, he entered at 8, so if it was slowest plus 5 he would have been last. I can see the fans being super excieted to see someone who was out fighting to get back in it, but I can see the competitiors ticked that he went out, but still beat them.

What about alowing them back in, but what ever points they earn can only be applied if there is a tie at the end of the season? They'd still be in fighting, but they wouldn't really get anything for that event, unless the season is that close.

·
Shifting and drifting
502 Posts
>>
>
>>
>More and more I cherish my rally memories from the 70's.
>
>
>
>
JENS, I absolutely flat-out in the NIGHT, in Snow and fog without pace notes with the toolbox to the floor AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY!!!

YYYYAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOO!

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

>Don't forget that there were drivers in WRCars that recieved a
>substantial handicap on the first two stages through no fault
>of their own. The cars that didn't make it to the first stage
>due to inpassable transit roads recieved the time of Solberg,
>a total penalty of almost 4 minutes compared to the front
>runners for teams with more appropriate tire choice...

Yes, but they weren't French.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts

<<<< I say if they are going to let them back into the competition they keep the clock running. Takes 5 hours to retrieve the car? Thats a 5 hour penalty! >>>>

Good luck with that one! I tried it one year at Laughlin when someone instituted "force majeure".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts