Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Biggest spectator applause/chaos: Eric B on the final stage, final speccie point. (I was 1/4 mile up the stage, so I dont know what you did Lurch, but they screamed louder and longer for you than for Paul, Tom & Pat combined). Eric drives the pee out of that car.

-The BBQ pulled pork sandwich at the brewery. 3 words: DEE LISH SHUSH!

-The absolutely cool & pretty Darlena, who, even though some of the speccies at that last spot were TOTALLY RUDE & crappy to her, she kept filming like a trooper. **Y'know, if any of you speccies that were there read this- I know you werent ALL being stupid. But the ones throwing stuff at & taunting a girl cuz YOU cant go sit in the woods where YOU wanted to & she had credentials? Pretty crappy. Shame on the ones that did that. The speccies there had better seats at that spot than us, I can assure you. Yes, that WAS poison ivy she sat in to film out of your way. I would have stood right in front of you for acting like that.

-Pat R. He is not only a great driver(which I finally got to see first hand), but a very professional representative to the sport. Great at interviews, always understands the vaule of the fans. Was very nice to several fans in service even though he was covered in dirt & very busy. Natalie was nice too. They are a class act. Bonus points for driving to SUnday River with no windshield after the event. :p

-Bill Bacon. He SOOO rocked & should've won GN had he not been behind Seamus on the last stage & in his dust. What a bite. GREAT RUN BILL!

-Doug H's bad luck is just awful. First he tears off the suspension on SS2, than starts the Club rally on Day 2 just to break a drive shaft on his LAUNCH on the first SS? ARG!! It just doesnt get any worse...

-Pete K & Rob P are worth their weight in gold to the rally community. I hope all the competitors support them. They not only take great photos, but do us a great service. Thanx guys.

-Randy Zimmer can drive. Who woulda thunkit? I am kidding RZ. He is hella fast on a pretty stock NA motor. Needs to buy new tires for the tow rig though...

-Does anyone know who the Speed TV blonde haired camera guy is? He was a little impolite & I would like to email/contact him regarding it. In retrospect, I am not sure he meant to be. Russ, a little help here?

-Matt Johnson(master VW driver) who drove all the way up to work the event as a marshal. Supporting the sport.

ANywho, thanx to all for the help filming. Hope to have the teaser/trailer on the website in a little over a week, and the DVD within a month. Preorders will be accepted in about a week also.

Thanx everybody for not running me over! (I am sure SOME may have been tempted- you know who you are)... :)

JC
www.rally-tv.com
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>-Biggest spectator applause/chaos: Eric B on the final
>stage, final speccie point. (I was 1/4 mile up the stage, so
>I dont know what you did Lurch, but they screamed louder and
>longer for you than for Paul, Tom & Pat combined). Eric
>drives the pee out of that car.

That was a little piece of scripted entertainment. I love that last series of turns...one of my favorite .25 miles in american rallying. I remember about 5 years ago standing on that spectator point with my dad and watching Jon Nichols, one of my 2wd heroes, throw a G2 Golf around that series of turns in a manner that made the Open guys look like they were on their way to a Tupperware party. I have that little piece of road memorized and so I know that when you come over that crest and see the wall of spectators, it is a G-out Left4 and it looks spectacular sideways, so I downshifted, nailed 8000 revs, put it at full lock and gave em a show. I only wish my dad was there instead of Oquossoc to see it.

Cheers,
Eric

PS...in the course of reading the notes, Cindy never had a chance to pause long enough for me to warn her of my intended antics. So I received a few punches as I was giggling into the timing control. :)

Great rally. Thanks Ted and John and all the workers!

--edit--btw...did anyone get video? :)

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ACtually... That was one of the only 3 "bummers" for Rally TV at the event, as Darlena decided to get a crowd reaction shot at(you guessed it) when YOU went thru Lurch. Total coincidence. She had no idea who was next up. So if ANY speccies have video of it- I'd LOVE to get it for the DVD- FULL CREDITS of course!

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
R6 L6 R6< 800
200 Posts
>-Bill Bacon. He SOOO rocked & should've won GN had he not
>been behind Seamus on the last stage & in his dust. What a
>bite. GREAT RUN BILL!

I can echo that praise. I had the opportunity to see his driving throughout the event, and he set stunning times considering it was his first run in the new car, second time out in Group N. Seamus's dust cost Bill at least 3:50 on the last stage, likely more since he followed for over 12 miles.
The 10 minute penalty, while deserved, was not a performance enhancing tactic. It was "take the 10 minutes or DNF, possibly burning the car to the ground."
The results show Bill in 20th. The stage times indicate a much better performance.
Thanks, Bill, for a great ride.
PW

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>-Biggest spectator applause/chaos: Eric B on the final
>stage, final speccie point. (I was 1/4 mile up the stage, so
>I dont know what you did Lurch, but they screamed louder and
>longer for you than for Paul, Tom & Pat combined). Eric
>drives the pee out of that car.

I spectated on four stages at Maine. My "main" impression was that I have never heard such quiet spectators. When we spectate in Quebec, the crowd is usually in an uproar when the cars are not even in view. On SS1 at Mexico, my wife gave a hearty cheer for a back-marker who was putting on a good show, and everyone around us looked at us like we were from another planet (does Canada qualify for that?).

At any rate, the biggest cheer we heard was on SS5. A frog started to cross the road about 15 second before ACP arrived. The frog was in the middle of the road as ACP went through sideways, taking up most of the road. When the dust settled, the frog continued his journey to the other side of the road.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
374 Posts
>At any rate, the biggest cheer we heard was on SS5. A frog
>started to cross the road about 15 second before ACP
>arrived. The frog was in the middle of the road as ACP went
>through sideways, taking up most of the road. When the dust
>settled, the frog continued his journey to the other side of
>the road.
>
>Doug Woods

anyone get this on film?

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi JC, I am sorry I have not yet met you yet, but I am the only "blond haired Speed camera guy" and also the producer of the series for the past ten years. I am sorry if I have somehow offended you and that you feel the need to bring it up as "notable" on Special stage. I will be happy to discuss any problems you might have off list. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
106 Posts
>-Pete K & Rob P are worth their weight in gold to the rally
>community. I hope all the competitors support them. They not
>only take great photos, but do us a great service. Thanx
>guys.

Thanks JC! It was a pleasure to work with all the Rally TV crew, I hope to work together again! Thanks for the kind words!

(and, in my case, thats a fair amount of gold! }> :D )

Robert Plafta
Plaftaphoto.com

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>Hi JC, I am sorry I have not yet met you yet, but I am the
>only "blond haired Speed camera guy" and also the producer
>of the series for the past ten years. I am sorry if I have
>somehow offended you and that you feel the need to bring it
>up as "notable" on Special stage. I will be happy to discuss
>any problems you might have off list. Feel free to contact
>me at [email protected]

JC, I've meet Doug a number of times, and he's always been very personable. I'm sure you just caught him at a bad moment. Keep in mind, that just like a driver or crew chief, if you bug a cameraman when he's trying to work or in a hurry to get somewhere, you may not always get the most enthusiastic response. But just like you he's a 100% rally nut and really enjoys the sport. Reintroduce yourself at the next rally, he's a good guy to know.

BTW, is RallyTV gonna be at OFPR? I wanna play with some funky incar/oncar camera angles and shots.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ummm... as I stated in my post, in retrospect, I am pretty sure you didnt mean to be rude. It was hot out, we both had been filming all morning, and we both wanted the same shot. Looking back, I completely understand, it just felt like crap at the time.

I emailed ya. Thanx for contacting me directly! I am sure we can easily work this misunderstanding out.

JC
www.rally-tv.com
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dennis-
Play with your funkyness. :+ We can use cool footage in other ways.

Currently no plans for RTV to film OFPR. *MAYBE* LSPR if the MFR release hops off the "shelves" in the next 3 weeks, but most likely be gearing up for a bad-assed 05 season.
Thanx for asking-

hey, I thought you were selling the car...?

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>Dennis-
>Play with your funkyness. :+ We can use cool footage in
>other ways.
>

Are you gonna be there? Maybe you can bring some cameras along and we can do some "testing" to see which shots are cool and which aren't. Honestly, I'm just trying to help out.

>
>hey, I thought you were selling the car...?
>
>JC
>#595
>www.gnimotorsports.com

The car is for sale, but I feel it's necessary to "demonstrate" it to potential buyers. :)

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
234 Posts
It was hard to tell he was blond with all the dust flying. The crowd on SS3 got quite a chuckle when Pat went through and covered him with dust. That was until the wind changed. :eek:

Numerous people questioned if he was paid enough by SpeedTV to go through that torture.

Gary #893
PGT Talon for sale but I'm jonesing to race

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You should've seen Doug standing in the water at the creek crossing at STPR. The rocks are slippery, the water icy cold, and every car is a new shower, but the resulting tape was worth it.

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just so everyone understands-
:)

It was a small misunderstanding that is corrected. One part of identity confusion, two parts of rally enthusiasts trying to get the exact same footage.

Please dont anyone think this is anything more. Thanx/props to Doug for replying to me quickly & fairly to clear it up.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wasnt planning on it, BUT, if I can find a place to sleep free/cheap... Matt B is gonna make it his very first drive in his Jetta and needs crew, so I am considering it. I halfta check schedule.

Yes, I would be happy to try some things with you WRT cameras(if I go), cuz I need to figure out how to mount & run a couple cameras at once in my WRX as soon as it's done(probly S*D 05, unless some outside funding falls my way-HA!). I really cant wait to run against Matt Johnson in PGT. Who, by the way, is a super nice guy.

Bumper cam in rear is reeeeeeeeeaallly cool. Gravel everywhere!!!

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts