Special Stage Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
my brother tried using the Red Ranger jack to lift the E350 to change a tire.

2 ton limit means "Don't try to lift your service van or stuff will bend, crack and be generally unhappy".....

I don't think there is anyway the thing actually weighs 110lbs. I just grab the base of the handle and the side and toss it in/out of the van.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
yes, but you are a burly he man from Iowa.

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehe....

ouch, my sides hurt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Weight

If you're talking about the AC jacks weights, it's not 110 lbs but 80 lbs.
Still heavy but it doesn't get throne over a pit lane wall.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
PRT said:
If you're talking about the AC jacks weights, it's not 110 lbs but 80 lbs.
Still heavy but it doesn't get throne over a pit lane wall.
How much do those jacks cost? PM me if you can't post it.

DEM

·
Registered
134 Posts
No no no no.... I was looking for a high lift floor jack, single pump to car. I looked at the prodrive 35" jack which was 1800.00......... Just before I bought it, I happened to go into Harbor freight tools... They had a 34" lift single pump to car jack for 169.99... It is actually called a 2.5 ton farm jack. I bought 4 of them. 2 for the rally car, and 2 for my shop. I use them every day, and have never had a problem.
They have a foot pump and hand pump... www.harborfreighttools.com

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Holy necrobump!!

The link you posted is from a secure session, but I removed the 's' and all I saw was some heavy, expensive jacks ... weight may not be an issue if the jack never leaves the garage, but for rally service where the jack is often in and out of the service vehicle a lot, a lightweight jack is definitely preferable.

Harbor Freight now stock a 2-ton capacity, lightweight, low profile, aluminum racing jack for $190:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92782

I picked up one of these a couple of months ago when it was on sale for $160, and have used it for several track weekends and general use without any issues so far.

·
Jason McDaniel
308 Posts
The Matco weighs 85 lbs. That's less than a tire-wheel on a Baja truck. Being able to wing it around isn't much of a problem if you also plan on changing large components, and it lifts fairly high.

·
Open AWD Extraordinaire!
1,216 Posts
I'll bump this dead thread again.

Anyone been jack shopping recently? The AC stuff, while awesome, is only available from one vendor in the US right now and is craaaazy expensive @ $540 for the small 20" unit.

Anyone found any new hotness? Those harbor freight units look like toothpicks. Plus I imagine, that while they are cheap, can't handle dirty/grime/rain like other more professional units can handle.

·
Open AWD Extraordinaire!
1,216 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation... I have no doubt that they will stand up to track-day type abuse with people hoisting their pristine M3s... but how well do those things work in our world with snow, sand, mud, muck, and throwing it around when you have to pick up and get out of Dodge quickly?

I'm all for having a heavier pocketbook - but if it's going to mean I have to replace the thing every year, it kind of becomes a pain. Now, the scale certainly leans towards the HF jack, even with this pain - but it needs to be mentioned.

I have *never* heard of a problem with an AC jack. I've heard of problems from every other jack on the planet it seems.

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
How much does it weigh?
I'd estimate 80 lbs.

In practice, I drag it out of the van and slide it over the step at the back of the van, letting it drop to the ground.

It's not light, but will lift the car up much higher than most any "cheap" racing jack. It's like having a lift...

·
Open AWD Extraordinaire!
1,216 Posts
21 - 40 of 58 Posts