Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tightens!
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ivan O. rightly points out some of the qualities that make short track racing so viable for teams, drivers, spectators, local sponsors, and tracks. That's why I'm going to share a concept that I've had on paper for a few years...

Many circle tracks run a "ministock" or "foreign stock" class. My scheme takes an existing set of these rules and builds a European-style rallycross series around it. All that's necessary is to convince a local track promotor to create a Winter Rally Series, using the same exact rules.

The track would use some portion of the oval, and adjoining fields, parking lots, paddock or whatever, to build a course somewhere in the 3/4-mile range. It would have mixed surfaces, right and left corners, and maybe even some "vertical features," like where cars leave or enter a banked corner.

The season would run, depending on local climates, during the whatever portions of the stock car off-season are tolerable. It could be two short seasons - fall and spring - leaving the dead of winter out. In more temperate areas, like here in NC, you could run all winter.

Most of these ministock classes are based on very restricted, 4-cylinder, 2wd sh!tboxes. Most use a control tire - typically a treaded, hard specialty tire or a budget street tire. They usually already have dents so the most common argument against wheel-to-wheel racing with rally cars would be moot.

Done properly, there would be next to nothing different between the oval-track and rallycross versions of the cars, allowing easy cross-polination. I could drive Duane's car once he's won the the summer series, or buy a used car - increasing the market for parts, cars, etc. The knowledge base would be in place as well, although there would be some new learnin' necessary to hook them up going both directions on mixed surfaces.

It seems like any track promoter worth his corndogs would recognize that putting his investment to work more than half of the weekends each year would be a good thing. Races would be visible to people in the stands (some lights might be required for new sections of track), and the races would follow the typical multi-heat format familiar to both stockers and rallycrossers.

The quickest way to screw it up would be to let people rallify the rules. Set free all notions you have about multiple classes, turbos, AWD, and all that crap. You won't be able to keep a track in shape long enough to entertain spectators with real power or traction.

Make the cars cheap, tough, and hard to drive so talent makes a difference, and you got a winner. Admit it - it sounds fun, don't it?

Kirk

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pretty soon I hope. Casey and I had a blast!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Feeling like an "old timer."
581 Posts
>Ah, but you weren't racing head-to-head. When I say
>"rallycross" I mean RALLYCROSS.

NO, you mean what SCCA decided to replace Pro/Club Rally with: [a href="http://www.scca.org/Rally"]CircusRally[/a] (after they apparently told RA they wouldn't compete against them, but that's a whole other thread ;-) ;-) ).

You'll have to go to that page and click on "CircuitRally" (as it's really called) on the left because the way the site /code is set up you can't do a direct link that'll include the individual (content) frames x( .

Matt Kennedy
www.RockyRoadRacing.com

edit: fix wording

·
Tightens!
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bah. I dismissed SCCA CircuitRally as "never going to happen" about 3 minutes after I read about it. There's no strategic thinking involved there - just a very short discussion before the decision to force rally cars into the accepted SCCA Club Racing paradigm.

K

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Having done a few races like this with the local track, in winter they do not get the number of spectators to make a profit, something about not wishing to sit in the rain and cold to watch us...

Derek

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>Make the cars cheap, tough, and hard to drive so talent makes
>a difference, and you got a winner. Admit it - it sounds fun,
>don't it?
>
>Kirk

Kirk you just reminded me so fondly of Group F except our cars aren't that tough to drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts