Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California law says:
- If there's more than 5 cars following you MUST pull over
He didn't do this and caused Randy to brake the law. The sheriff saw this too and gave Kurt warning signal which he ignored and kept dragging his ash at low speed and causing a major jam.
- Kurt should have been exluded for braking the law. HE broke it BEFORE Randy did...

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
>That's:
>"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do."

Actually, no, I was quoting from a National Lampoon album (you may not remember these, round black vinyl discs with grooves on 'em that made noise when played on a turntable, you youngster :D), from a farce on "Desiderata". They were speaking in a more cosmic sense, not an automobile sense.

-Doug

"Fall not in love therefore, it will stick to your face."

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thats interesting. Can you find where this is printed so us East-coast types can trust this?

Ed

Edit: Not that I don't trust you, but this is a state
where U-turns are normal and splitting the lane lines
is legal on a motorcycle. Who knows what other weirdness
they have.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, I was a CHiPs fan, so it figures I would find this...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21656.htm

Which says:
Turning Out of Slow-Moving Vehicles

21656. On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow-moving vehicle, including a passenger vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed. As used in this section a slow-moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

Amended Ch. 448, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I hardly think that allows for five people who wish to speed to be cause for a law abiding driver to turn out for the other five to pass....

Then again, as Ed Wahl points out, its california where you can get a ticket for not going as fast as thjbe rest of the traffic, even if the rest of the traffic is doing 80 in a 65 zone.

jblewis

·
Registered
408 Posts
I seriously doubt they write many tickets for this. Probably only used in the case where grandpa is going 20 under and blocking traffic.

Just quoting the law, not interpreting it here.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
That's your mid-american train of thought JB, in the east, no one thinks anyone has the right to go faster than you are, maybe there's some good things about CA after all.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Speed limits are an east coast thing, the law in Washington and Oregon also says slower traffic MUST pull over when delaying five or more vehicles. As far as tickets go, a guy was pulling a trailer through the Oregon Coast Range last April, when suddenly a flock of fast moving rally workers appeared from out of the woods. The camper was close to the posted limit, so he ignored that first turn out. The sherriff made sure he was out of our way at the second one.

So if you're bringing that mini-winnie out west, you might want to mind the signs, slower traffic could be you.

Jim Culp
prorallypix.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts