Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Karen Ann is still kicking! :7

As the new owner, I am In Search Of (ISO) information, pictures, specs, etc., anything on the ex-Jon Davis' and ex-Kim DeMotte's '73 99 rally car nicknamed Karen Ann.

I also understand that a line dwg of this car in action was on the POR flyer for a while. I'd like to get a copy or scan of this if anyone's got a copy. :)

Here's a picture of her from Tim Winker's site while in Kim DeMotte's hands:
[http://www.winktimber.com/prorally/1980norlts/80norlts1.htm]

TIA for any and all information you can relate and/or forward!

The information I have so far (please correct if miswritten):
- the car was originally delivered to Glassman SAAB in Southfield, MI but (literally) dropped off the car carrier, damaging her (the marks are still there) and making her unsaleable.
- SAAB North America (SAAB NA) took possession of the car and built it into a balls-out plaything
- The car was taken to several drag races on 28th St(?)in Grand Rapids, MI
- Jon Davis talked SAAB NA into installing an SAAB OEM S&R gearbox letting him use the car for rallying
- "Karen Ann" never finished a race with Davis driving: twice due to electrical fire, several times due to engine failures (valve scuffing the pistons, etc)...any other reason?
- The nickname "Karen Ann" came from Karen Ann Quinlan, the '70s coma patient whom doctors would not allow to be taken off life support.
- the car was raced by Davis in ProRally Open Class (was it prepped to the '73 ProRally Open Class?)
- the original engine was prepared by Jack Lawerence @ MSS in Jamestown, NY, albeit w/ too close of tolerances
- When Kim DeMotte took possession of her, he had a local-to-him (MO) SAAB mechanic (who?) rebuild the engine per rally requirements
- There's a story about the title/ownership of the car that goes something like: SAAB NA held the title and, when Davis started racing another 99, came to collect the car several times at various locations in the MidWest. Unfortunately or fortunately, it never was at the location to which they had tracked it. ;-) When Kim Demotte finally tracked her down and took possession, SAAB NA gave the title to DeMotte. (I'd like to know the full story, off line, whatever, if someone knows the details. :) )

Again, TIA!

(Thanks to Tim Winker, Bruce Weinman, and Kurt Przybysz for the information to date.) :7

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

- the car was raced by Davis in ProRally Open Class (was it prepped to the '73 ProRally Open Class?)
In '73, there was no "Open" class. There were no classes. It was strictly "run what ya. brung". Classes began in '79 with the introduction of Production.

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts

As the new owner, I am In Search Of (ISO) information, pictures, specs, etc., anything on the ex-Jon Davis' and ex-Kim DeMotte's '73 99 rally car nicknamed Karen Ann.

- The car was taken to several drag races on 28th St(?)in Grand Rapids, MI
Dave Parps did do some work on K.A. while he was woking at the SAAB dealer in Kalamazoo. We did take a few " spirited" test drives around Kalamazoo. My first experience with straight cut gears. " No clutch-Really?" . At least Dave never had her while he lived in Grand Rapids. If it was raced in Grand Rapids, it was by John. By the time this car was built, the street racing in Gand Rapids had died.

- Jon Davis talked SAAB NA into installing an SAAB OEM S&R gearbox letting him use the car for rallying.
See above
- "Karen Ann" never finished a race with Davis driving: twice due to electrical fire, several times due to engine failures (valve scuffing the pistons, etc)...any other reason?
I think there were some transmission issues as well.
- The nickname "Karen Ann" came from Karen Ann Quinlan, the '70s coma patient whom doctors would not allow to be taken off life support.
More from the amount of time spent lying about waiting to be fixed.

Again, TIA!

(Thanks to Tim Winker, Bruce Weinman, and Kurt Przybysz for the information to date.) :7
I have phone numbers for both Jon and Dave. I find it had to believe that you haven't talked to Jon yet. He's probably one of the most approachable people I've ever met. Always happy to talk rallying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I saw the car a few years back. It was painted yellow with a bumble bee strip and had lexan that badly needed replacing, but other than that it looked intact!
Shame to have a car sit idle, somebody needs to get it out and on the stages!

www.saabrally.com

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sean,
Contact me off-list at [email protected], I'll be happy to fill in any details that I can remember about Karen-Ann.

And yes, if you shifted her at redline with the straight-cut gearbox you really didn't need the clutch- that was only needed for starting and stopping.

I don't know anything about drag racing her on 28th St. in G.R., I never did that- but I did stoplight drag a Mustang once on Westnedge Ave. in Kazoo and blew his doors off!

Anyhow, good luck with her, be good to her and like Kurt, when you get tired of her, I'd take her back too.
Dave Parps
Karen-Ann's caretaker 77-79 [ I think].

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
And yes, if you shifted her at redline with the straight-cut gearbox you really didn't need the clutch- that was only needed for starting and stopping.
I can attest to that since the hydraulic fluid in the annular slave cylinder kept boiling (seems no matter what grade we put in it!) and we had no choice but to race clutchless!

Incredibly powerful car...lsd (one of only two in the country at that time I was told). I had several good finishes in her....Somebody's got a great video of J Jon Wickens and I at the OLD Rally in Paris (Chisum Trail) that ran in the Weyerhauser land in Oklahoma. We were I'm told using ALL the road and part of the ditches on both sides.

But we've talked many times since your original post. C'mon Sean...bring 'er out and thrash 'er about!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts