Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by expressing my grief over this weekend's tragedy...

this was our 2nd or trail rally, we were finally starting to get how the madness works. when the ambulance sped by us, we knew we would have to learn another aspect of racing.
I had an idea on saturday night for a tribute idea that i ran by my team, and i would like to know if it is something that could be feasable.

could a moment of silence be followed by a moment of sound?
after honoring their passing, honor the future.

at some point at parc expose, could all the cars start their engines and give 'em a good revving for 20 seconds or so?
an amazing event with 80 cars proclaming the endurance of our sport, no matter what the adversity.
maybe at Maine, this being what would be their next event, also enough time to come to grips with the situation.

is this a worthy idea? any feedback would be appreciated.

J. Weld
#294 Subaru Legacy PGT

Lovell/Freeman
You inspire me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe, but most organizers have PA's and i would think
we all have stopwatches. be given a minute, we're used to that...
just trying to find a participatory event to honor them.

like i said, just an idea...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I like this idea, plus I'll add something of my own:

Let's set aside the "first car" on the road and reserve it to honor Lovell/Freeman. So, the actual first car on the road would start at XX:02, instead of XX:01. Maybe do this at nationals?

Mark Tabor
www.taborrallyteam.com

·
Registered
158 Posts
Absolutely! I had thought of this myself last weekend. The first minute should be left open at all remaining events; our small way of honoring these fallen heroes; our "missing man formation".

Kathryn Hansen
#226 Honda Civic

·
Registered
483 Posts
I love this idea. I can't think of a better "missing man formation" for Rally.

Organizers, please institute this. As a club rally competitor, I would like to also see this a club (or "other than SCCA") events.

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
447 Posts
This has been done before, at the Prescott Forest Rally when we lost Carl Merrill. We all stood silent as the minute came and went. Rob Cherry, who was organizer, said that all future Prescott events would honor Carl in that way. With the change of organizers I am not sure if that tradition continued.

John Elkin

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: is this a fitting tribute? Should be a tribute to everyone?

This is not a bad idea. But it should be a tribute to ALL those that have been killed or severely injured while involved with our sport!

·
Registered
158 Posts
RE: is this a fitting tribute? Should be a tribute to everyone?

Yep, that certainly seems appropriate.

Kathryn Hansen
#226 Honda Civic

·
Registered
95 Posts
We also did the same thing for a driver here who passed away suddenly. He would of been seeded in the #4 car for the international rally here. What they also did was put up the door stickers at the drivers brief and had the competitors sign it, it was then passed onto his widow.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The loud idea is a neat concept, but lets remember that HQ and Parc Expose at our rallies is nearly always held at a public place like a park, Main St., a hotel, etc. and that not everyone in the vicinity...in fact probably a minority of those in the vicinity are associated with the rally. Although your intentions are noble and you know why you are making noise, to these people (who are often in control of whether we return or not) we are just making noise and smoke and being a general nuisance. I think we would be putting the event in jeopardy. We don't want to disrespect the locals who we are visitors to by our method of paying respect to those who have left us. The locals just won't understand.

Stay with reserving a minute for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts