Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
im not sure about an entire rally... but i do know that there are stages in some rallys that are tarmac.. LSPR's brockway mountain stage is tarmak/pavement

·
So long & thx for all the fish
362 Posts
There are the Baldy Run I & II Rally Sprints in SoCal, but I don't know of a full Rally.

Jonathan

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
There is an all tarmac rally in Canada called the Rallye Sanair which is held just east of Montreal, Quebec. It is approximately 125 km in length with 105 km of stages. Unfortunately, you just missed it as it was held in April.

I spectated at it this year and I would highly recommend this event to anyone who wants to try a tarmac rally.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doug,

Thanks for the info. I may look into making that event next year. Before I start poking around and searching, do you know of a website, or who to contact for more information?

Thanks!
Costas

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Thanks for the info. I may look into making that event next
>year. Before I start poking around and searching, do you
>know of a website, or who to contact for more information?

Costas:

Here is the website:

http://www.rallyesanair.ca/

Doug Woods

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
The Cherokee Trails guys ran Tarmac Express a couple times and I thought the best parts of it were the gravel turns.
Pavement is fast and boring and the trees don't get softer because they line a paved road.
I would say that there are plenty of road racing tracks in NA, why don't you look into that.
rz

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Pavement is fast and boring and the trees don't get softer
>because they line a paved road.
>I would say that there are plenty of road racing tracks in
>NA, why don't you look into that.

Randy:

Rallye Sanair is quite different from the traditional idea of what a tarmac rally is or should be.

At Sanair, there are two race tracks. On one side of the complex is a sort of tri-oval for stock cars with an infield track for road racing. These tracks are used for two special stages. The other race track is a drag racing strip with a multitude of access roads which is used for four special stages.

From a spectator's point of view, you can watch all six stages in grandstands and never have to walk more than a few hundred yards between stages.

From a driver's point of view, you will have six action packed stages and almost no transit time. On most of the stages, at least half of the entire field in the rally will be on the stage, at the same time.

At this year's event, Sylvain Erickson in his EVO 4 was just incredible. He drove the tarmac stages just like he did on the ice and snow stages at the Perce-Neige. Absolutely full-throttle sideways slides through every corner.

I was spectating with two of Canada's better rally drivers, Antoine Lestage and Rejean Losier, and the three of us were giggling every time Sylvain went past.

Anyone, who wants to try a different type of rally, should consider this event next year.

Doug Woods

·
don't cut
4,073 Posts
Paul,
Bryan Whitehead works at Motor Sport Ranch and wants to put on a tarmac rally around Granbury. Contact him and see what you can do to help. We already told him we will help with the paperwork.
Richard

·
don't cut
4,073 Posts
>The Cherokee Trails guys ran Tarmac Express a couple times
>and I thought the best parts of it were the gravel turns.
>Pavement is fast and boring and the trees don't get softer
>because they line a paved road.
>I would say that there are plenty of road racing tracks in
>NA, why don't you look into that.
>rz
Randy,
Paul already has a race car or three that he drives.
Richard

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The "stages" on one lap of america are standing start to flying finish around road courses, with no practice.

Effectively, it's a tarmac rally with about 100 stage miles and 5,000 transit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
randy, yes the chattanooga region scca did run a couple of tarmac rallies, but we are in no way affiliated with the group who puts on ct. our region was free labor for the "for profit" group that runs ct, though. wonder if they still seek volunteer help for their "for profit" llc? didn't mean to threadjack, its just a little hard for me to stomach a group that wants to make money off the backs of volunteers. just doing what i think is right for rally in the southeast.

dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm heading to Ely, Nv this weekend for the Nevada Open Road Challenge. One 90-mile tarmac stage on Highway 318 in a Sean Hyland prepared Mustang with a dynoed 488 horsepower at the rear wheels. You can go as fast as you want. Pick your class - make your average speed. As event rookies we're limited to the 130 mph class.

Steve McKelvie

·
2,953 Posts
RE: help!

So YOUR region pays corner workers?
Mine doesn't and it also looks to turn a profit with every event it puts on.
So how's the SE SCCA rally program doing these days?
rz

·
2,953 Posts
RE: questions...

Doug, I knew about Sanair and it is held on-site with tirewalls and runoff. Targa Newfoundland has a tire rule and some time limits for stages (to make speed over a point, useless). One Lap has a tire rule and is run on tracks (see Sanair).
---
About a year ago there was much teeth grinding and handwringing over newbies in 4wd turbos and how the sport is one crash away from being extinct. A Justy on forest tarmac is a weapon, without even considering a 500 hp turbo car. On pavement, anything, even with one-wheel-peal has traction to burn. At Defi, we had a Talon clean off a power pole canceling a stage and at RNY, an airlift for our pal, Mr. Fox. I'm not really sure anyone NEEDS pavement rallys to have fun. I've done 'em, I've won them (check the results) but I don't need them. The Mille Miglia and Targa Florio had to go. I don't think the future of the whole sport in the US needs to be in the hands of a pavement event.
---
The quick way on pavement isn't a drifting contest.
---
Do what you want and have fun, but I think it is essentially boring to hold down the pedal and steer.
rz

1 - 20 of 34 Posts