Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I didn't compete in this year's event, I noticed that the traditional final two-stage leg back from the second Germania service was cut out of the event. What were people's views on this? While it allowed the event to end earlier, my guess is this was done to release some of the volunteers earlier. But for spectators this change probably cost them one of four spectating opportunities.

I liked spectating this event when there were up to 15 stages and a well-timed effort (and accumulated local road knowledge) might permit six (or even 7) viewing opportunities. Now, you can probably only get three in. The timing improvements seem to adversely affect the spectators only. Perhaps this event should start earlier. Just wondering what people were thinking about this.

Bill Rhodes

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't speak for the average spectator since I work the event as a photographer, but I enjoyed the early finish and didn't miss the long drive back to Wellsboro at all. There was still plenty of opportunities to spectate and as it is, I still didn't get to bed until 3:00.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Competitors I talked to all liked the elimination of the final leg. As it was, the final MTC didn't close until after 2 AM.

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
>Although I didn't compete in this year's event, I noticed
>that the traditional final two-stage leg back from the
>second Germania service was cut out of the event. What were
>people's views on this? While it allowed the event to end
>earlier, my guess is this was done to release some of the
>volunteers earlier. But for spectators this change probably
>cost them one of four spectating opportunities.
>
>I liked spectating this event when there were up to 15
>stages and a well-timed effort (and accumulated local road
>knowledge) might permit six (or even 7) viewing
>opportunities. Now, you can probably only get three in.
>The timing improvements seem to adversely affect the
>spectators only. Perhaps this event should start earlier.
>Just wondering what people were thinking about this.
>
>
>Bill Rhodes

When the rally field is 90 cars and you have 2 minute intervals for dust, there isn't time for more stages in the day (and night). Most workers had to report before 8:00 AM and didn't finish until well after midnight. That is only the workload on rally day. The stages all must be prerun, arrowed and bannered. This is done on Thursday and Friday. After the stages are run, all the banners and arrows must be taken back down. I had to be at a stage captain's meeting at 7:30 AM on Friday, then rounded up workers at registration from 10:30 to 11:30 go out and set up the practice stage. We timed cars from 1:00 to 6:00 PM in the rain and hail. Then we had to tear down the stage. Do you think we got to spectate much? Anymore its getting very dangerous to get between work assignments because of fools trying to see 5 or 6 stages and racing down the one lane roads between stages. I had several close encounters with spectators on closed roads, even though they assured me they wouldn't be moving after we visited them when we set up the stage.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
92 Posts
STPR shorter thanks to a rule in the rule book

The reason I heard for the shorter course this year, and apparently it was a disappointment for the organizers, was that a rule in the rule book states that there can be no more than 60 stage miles between gas stops. They were unable to find a suitable place for a gas stop when they created the long (almost 22 miles) stage in the evening loop.

Perhaps it's time to take a poll of the active competitors, maybe make it part of the competitor evaluations (if it isn't already there), asking if there were any times during the day when they were low on fuel after starting the section with a full tank (if you chose to start with less than a full tank it's your own fault if you run out because you should know how much fuel your car uses and you know how far it is to the next service based on the route book).

Thoughts?

George Thompson
1982 Volvo 242 Performance Rally Toy

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RE: STPR shorter thanks to a rule in the rule book

Many of the workers had a 19-hour day as it was. Last year, my day as a control worker started at 5 AM and ended at 4 AM.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

>The reason I heard for the shorter course this year, and
>apparently it was a disappointment for the organizers, was
>that a rule in the rule book states that there can be no
>more than 60 stage miles between gas stops. They were
>unable to find a suitable place for a gas stop when they
>created the long (almost 22 miles) stage in the evening
>loop.
>

The 65-miles-between-gas-stops rule is not new...putting together a course can be a challenge. And - BTW - COMPETITORS asked for the mileage to be reduced the last time the rule was changed.

BW

>

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

As a spectator, I was up for some late night stages, but thinking back on it now, getting back after a long and busy day at 4AM left me feeling not so well when I had to go back to school the next day. This year, however, I felt quite good the next day, so overall a more pleasant experience, but I'll never turn down more rallying :)

What mostly upset me about it though is that I only got 3 stages on video, and part of the end of the practice stage, though much of it is just my dad filming me running down the hill looking for rides, heh.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts

My vote would be less time in the 2nd Parc, or skip it. The day is long for everyone but that break doesn't shorten it any. It does allow limping, wounded cars to get a second wind they may not deserve?
I missed the POR and events like that that rewarded reliability over speed by starting rally too late but they sound like they were tough but respected by all.
rz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts