Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VERY simplified...

RNY this fall the co-driver was on the ground and the car all balled up, its on a sharp corner not easy to see what is going on up ahead an ambulance on the course, the course is blocked red cross thrown & the competitors come to a screeching halt. The competitors move the car. We transited to the finish, a solution was worked out via radio by the time I ran up to the control as co-driver (we were 14th in line on the transit) & times where given The teams behind us allowed to go hot on one of the longest stages with spectators and everyone could deal with one of those things that happens in rally.

Memory refreshment can be found here...

http://www.specialstage.com/dc/dcbo...ic_id=31991&mesg_id=31991&listing_type=search

Now Sno*Drift, Competitor comes upon a balled up car, driver with blood on his face, its on a sharp corner not easy to see what is going on up ahead a truck on the course shortly thereafter, the course is blocked a red cross is not thrown & the competitors come to a screeching halt. The competitors move the car. The transit to the finish is not very polite and for 4 days there is a festival of fingerpointing that must have Steve Johnson smiling in his car on the way home everyday.

Whch was the better way of dealing with the problem?

Bernie

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Too much speculation as usual

It was not a red cross situation.

If you want more info, PM me.

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: No speculation

I'm not speculating. I am proding for a more constructive discussion in the vacuum of the statement in waiting.

I stated plainly that I was over simplifying.

Based on what_has_ been stated the 2 are not all that disimmilar.

I am not attacking nor promoting either result, or any competitors actions. I want something more constructive than the defensive onliners that have been put forth so that I (will not speak for anyone else) can learn something for the moment I have to work with my driver and decide what to do in 5 or less seconds. I want to know what made you and Matt, and the next team, and so on; make the decisions you did. Jeff Field very well spelled out in the link above what his process was.

From Matt we have "When Seamus nodded that it was not a red cross, I shouldn't have questioned the blood on his cheek." I personally would want him to question someone who just had an obvious major deceleration and was obviously bleeding. Was Seamus the best judge of his condition @ that moment?

And maybe, lastly, I wanted to point out that this happens obviously all the time in some form. There are alternatives to throwing a stage and instead of getting all wrapped up in a process that looks a bit like the Politburo there could, should, be a process, plainly put, within the rules that can be taught to all. A 3-5 point checklist for competitors and workers. No matter the sanctioning body.

Bernie

PS I am well aware we benefited from the way RNY was scored for that stage.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Replying late to this, but the reason we showed the red cross at RNY was:

1) We encountered a non-competition vehicle on course (the ambulance). It is my understanding that the moment one encounters a non-competitor vehicle on course, that the racing is over, the stage is thrown, etc., and it is our immediate obligation to stop the approaching vehicles. It was not a force majeure situation.

2) The co-driver was lying on the ground in the fetal position when we approached.

3) The road was physically blocked by an ambulance.

4) It was a steep downhill, blind, off-camber, dip, into a corner. Even had there not been an ambulance in the way, the car was in a dangerous position. Anyone remember Sunriser's Thunder Road stage, and that impossible downhill left from dirt onto pavement? Similar kind of corner...

5) It was a WAY fast stage, on a WAY fast rally (those who ran RNY know what I mean), and waving doesn't stop rally cars, nor do triangles, and the only method provided by the organizers to actually stop the cars is the red cross. We discussed it for 10 seconds, and made the decision. (most cars just flew by us anyway, BTW).

·
Banned
2,738 Posts

<<< and made the decision. (most cars just flew by us anyway, BTW). >>>

Pray tell us what disciplinary action was taken by the Organisers against those competitors? If none was taken, why not?

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is just speculation on my part but, maybe it was judged there was no willfull disregard of the rules, (including unwritten rules of sportsmanship).

The thread referenced above rehashes the particulars of who saw and did not see Jeff and the others (by the time we got there) in the middle of the road.

Jeff's number 5 above is in the spirit of what I was driving at.

Bernie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts