Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there with FIA experience who can shed some light on this?

I'm starting to think about getting my international license, but I'm a bit concerned about this clause in the International Sporting Code:

[font color="blue"]Chapter VIII - Competitors and Drivers

125. Entries in international events

Competitors are reminded that only those events appearing
on the International Sporting Calendar published in the FIA Year
Book or in FIA Bulletins are officially recognised.
Any competitor participating in a non-officially recognised
event will be subject to the sanctions provided for in the present
Code.[/font]

I take this to mean that if I hold an international license, I can be penalized for competing in a national or regional rally. Is this actually the case?

Jeff

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is how I understand the process, which may or not be fully accurate:
If you hold an FIA international license it allows you to enter FIA International LISTED events. This is not the same as FIA sanctioned national events. Thus you could enter WRC events or the Asia-Pacific Series events on a FIA international license. However, you could not enter the national events (not listed on the calendar) on the international license.

If you want to enter those events, then you need to get released from your ASN to compete in those events, and permission from the host country to complete on their ASN's license. Yes, it gets confusing. If you didn't follow the process, I suppose you could be prohibited from competing in FIA events. But in the US, most events are SCCA so not much of a penalty.

Also contact the event organizer for what is required. I have heard some are more willing to bend, ignore, or interpet the rules differently for international competitors.

I recommend you contact Christain Edstrom for more details.

Paul Nelson

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> If you want to enter those events, then you need to get released from your ASN to compete in those events, and permission from the host country to complete on their ASN's license.

Getting permission to compete is only if the national event is outside your home country I believe. If it is in your home country you would use your national license, I assume. (e.g. SCCA)

You also have to ask your "home" ASN for permission to get an international license if you don't live there. e.g. I'm an Australian citizen but live in the US, I must ask CAMS (in AU) for permission to get an FIA license from ACCUS.

PatR probably knows this stuff too.

Glenn "license whore"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts