Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's some interesting news on what the Aussies are working on,
not advocating anything here and I really don't much about the number of people doing their club, State, and National series, but I know its a big country with big distances, sorta like the US or Canada.
It seems they were able to do a survey of their membership.
What an amazing concept.

RallyForum.com ?Rallying ? Asia-Pacific, African & Middle Eastern ? Australian Cost Review Survey Report

Last Thread Next Thread
Author
Thread

Livewireshock

Australian Cost Review Survey Report (post #1)

The following is the outcome of a widespread national survey in Australia on the cost of competing.

quote:
2004 COST REVIEW SUMMARY

The following summary is taken from the 2004 Cost Review Report. The Report was based on feedback received from the cost review survey posted on the CAMS website and further independent submissions. Comments and recommendations were submitted anonymously and tabled without bias.

Feedback and additional comments, in response to the Cost Review Summary, are encouraged to ensure all feasible options for cost saving for rallying at all levels are exhausted.

Please forward your constructive comment to [email protected] prior to 10 September 2004.

The findings are based on confidential feedback provided by competitors, officials, organisers, sponsors and support crews.

Cost Saving At Club Level

The following are suggestions only and have been provided by rally participants, in an effort to
reduce the cost of competition and encourage ongoing growth of rallying at the grass roots
level.

Suggestion to reduce entry in Club level events to 2WD vehicles only.

Cost Saving At State Level

The following are suggestions only and have been provided by rally participants, in an effort to reduce the cost of competition and encourage ongoing growth of rallying at state level competition.

Sharing Resources ?Consider employing the resources of one common State representative of all rally dedicated Car Clubs. Representative would be experienced in all aspects of sporting regulations, event management, operations, sponsor sourcing and communication to assist with the planning of State Level events. Suggested that part-time appointment would reduce the overall time, financial and personal commitment required to run each of the individual State Championship events.

Adjust vehicle requirements to reduce the cost of vehicle preparation and maintenance and still encourage a competitive field. Consideration to be given to removal of restrictors, no change to computers, exhaust, brakes or gearboxes, no cold air intakes. Consider use of unleaded fuel only. Adjustments to suspension should be allowed and all necessary safety equipment.

Consider limiting tyre useage.

Cost Saving At National Level

The following are suggestions only and have been provided by rally participants, in an effort to reduce the cost of competition and encourage ongoing growth of rallying at a national level.

Entry Fees were identified as the main area for cost saving by survey respondents and the most significant cost factor when considering the transition from State to National level competition. Various marketing and operational initiatives to be explored by CAMS, ARCom and IMG, with the intention of reducing entry fees by the
commencement of the 2005 season.

Allow choice of entry fee payment by cheque, money order or credit card, with early bird fees introduced to encourage payment before close of entries. Compulsory on-line entry has attracted additional credit card fees of up to $600 per season.

Removal of official event activities such as Scrutiny and Drivers Briefing. Onus of scrutineering standard and vehicle eligibility to be placed back on competitors. Generic drivers briefing to be held once at the commencement of the season, specific event based updates to be provided by bulletin. Removal of both official event activities may reduce the time required at event and the number of team members required prior to competition.

Use rally cars for recce cars, removing the need for an additional vehicle. Reduce cost transportation cost/hire or preparation cost for additional vehicle. Rally car is prepared and best suited to road conditions during recce.

Combine official trophy presentation with podium finish, immediately after the final stages of Heat 2. This allows crews the freedom to leave event on Sunday, saving cost on additional accommodation and Post Event Dinner tickets. Post Event rally function
still an option, but not a compulsory team activity.

Limit Service Crew numbers, reducing travel & accommodation costs for larger teams.

Introduce Travel Assistance Package for all interstate competitors to encourage
interstate entries in each event, visibly reduce costs to competitors and involve support from State & Federal Government and Tourism authorities. Initiatives for Travel Assistance Package to be explored by IMG and ARCom.

Organisers to provide information/contact details for alternative, local, low rent accommodation, including local houses, units, etc. Rally HQ promotes a professional environment for the event itself but significant cost savings could be introduced if teams sourced cheaper housing alternatives.

ARCom should be thanked for considering everyone in the sport on this issue and not just the major players. Without grass roots we will be nothing.

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
"Wait till I check my pants, I didn't know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!"

You're either for Fleadom, or for the Terra-trips.

And I promise to create 2,300,000 new jobs and do it again the next month when its shown there were only 16,000 created....

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
OK, since you didn't, I'll ask. Why don't the PRB or PTB have a similar committee????? Our issues are somewhat different, but we still need to reduce costs, especially on the ClubRally end.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>OK, since you didn't, I'll ask. Why don't the PRB or PTB
>have a similar committee????? Our issues are somewhat
>different, but we still need to reduce costs, especially on
>the ClubRally end.

Well you might well ask why I didn't ask.

Well I often do pose things as questions but it seems that many of the readers here seem to think questioning something is some sort of negative criticism, rathewr than part of a building process.
It makes one wonder how they do self assesments in their liesure endevours such as what we are all here for: Rally
I always thought that if one wants to improve or refine something first yopu must examine it particularly in its fundementals or basics:
What's the purpose of this?
How does that work?
Why is this thing done that way?
What happens if I floor it NOW!?? YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

And after 20 years of seeing this Sport sputter and cough and spit and stall repeatedly, and 20 yearts of saying
"Next year in Jerusalem!" (hey Comrade Rich, help me out with that on its meaning to ****** Americanos, eh!)
I have tried to help in the two ways I can to help this sport get on more solid ground.
One way is question assumptions, especially foundational ones
The second is to build and help build strong, affordable cars so that guys don't wipe themselves out in one year and drop out.

But the constant complaints of some younger guys, guys it seems who have either 1 or 2 events or maybe none get tiresome so sometimes I don't ask the bleeding obvious,

but you're right, why not?

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
583 Posts
RE: Interesting Down Under in Cost Savings

>"Next year in Jerusalem!" (hey Comrade Rich, help me out
>with that on its meaning to ****** Americanos, eh!)

Comrade JVL,

Most people do understand that phrase. But here's a few other hopeful phrases of similar meaning:

- Hope springs eternal!
- Well, maybe next year!
- There's a new day coming!
- There's always tomorrow!

Separately, I understand the Aussie's have some pretty good online licensing exam's too. With particular emphasis on Base Requirements, Safety and Procedures.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Interesting Down Under in Cost Savings

>>"Next year in Jerusalem!" (hey Comrade Rich, help me out
>>with that on its meaning to ****** Americanos, eh!)
>
>Comrade JVL,
>
>Most people do understand that phrase.

They do???
Then how do they not understand that I am the most optimistic guy (maybe aside from you) in NorthAmerican rallying?

But here's a few
>other hopeful phrases of similar meaning:
>
>- Hope springs eternal!
>- Well, maybe next year!
>- There's a new day coming!
>- There's always tomorrow!

What about "Today is the first day of the rest of your life" (well we used to say "This is the Last day of your life.....so far)
>
>Separately, I understand the Aussie's have some pretty good
>online licensing exam's too. With particular emphasis on
>Base Requirements, Safety and Procedures.

really?
The Uncle Joe's question becomes meven more important.
If a bunch of beer swilling sun burnt-brain lager-lout Aussie Yabbos and hooligans can do that why can't we?
>
>Rich Smith
>
>Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts