Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Let me assure you, the Subaru Rim of the World Rally presented by Autosport Engineering is not going away. We'll have to wait and see how things pan out for working with the brand new Rally America championship. Regardless, Rim has big plans for the future as we head into our 22 consecutive running.

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Rim of the World Rally

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"They handed us a nine-page document this afternoon with a number of exceptions from the operations manual."

"There were also a number of exceptions in regards to timing and scoring. This, however, is a national championship and we?re trying to put together some consistent operations."

What are the exceptions that you are seeking? Could you comment please?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dan,

We asked for the same exemptions granted for our event last year. This seems like a normal step before committing our event to their calendar.

Beyond that, it's inappropriate for either party to discuss our negations here or with the press. Doing so is all about ego and one can quickly find themself painted into the corner.

Ray Hocker
Chairman,
Subaru Rim of the World Rally

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
"Further, Niday told me that there?s already a roadblock to resurrecting the 2004 ProRally schedule in 2005.

?The vast majority of the organizers are behind us, with one exception. It appears Rim of the World Rally (north of Los Angeles) will not be with us,? Niday told me. ?They handed us a nine-page document this afternoon with a number of exceptions from the operations manual. Certainly, we aren?t prepared to grant those exceptions, especially without an insurance carrier in place."

It seems a bit pre-emptive to declare they won't be with the series based on something that happened the same day.

JB and Doug, please tell us you're going to aim higher than the SCCA did. This type of quote in the press (blaming the other guy) does not seem very positive for the sport.

Glenn

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
The nadir of reformation is here, in these statements, right now.

Either everyone stops the pi*sing contest before it happens or we can all splinter off and try again in the U.S.A. in a few years/ decades.

"You can include my rally but" ... Fer Chrisakes! work the details out in private . Get the damn rally on the calender and stop being so provincial. Be happy you can still do it, with the support of the people who care to watch or enter, against all odds, in the U.S.A.

Just my .02, edit to remove statement made in fustration.

Bernie
NASA Member
SCCA Member, soon to be RA Member
Looks like I might need to be a CARS member soon.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ray,
You could educate us by specifically detailing the exceptions you've requested. Name calling about egos doesn't help us understand the issues of contention. There's even a chance that talking about other people's egos could diminish your own credibility. How about taking the high road and providing real facts? It might be something fun to try.
Dave

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dave,

I think we all need to check our egos at the door, mine included. There's no name calling going on so please don't read that into my statement. I already said it's fair to all concerned to keep our discussions private. You'd only be hearing my side of the story anyway.

We obviously have some different concerns than some of our fellow organizers. We are under no obligation to commit ours event until we are comfortable that we can live up to the commitment. If we can find common ground things will work out in time. If not, there's a lot more important things in the world to worry about. What about those Red Sox?

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Rim of the World Rally

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Let me add that Rim of the World will be an excellect event.

Doug and I have had numerous productive discussions with Ray. I consider Ray, Donna, Mike and Paula to be excellent organizers. We clearly have a difference of opinion on several issues.

I am sorry that Rim isn't on the Rally America schedule.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i agree that some things are not for the public eye.

that being said the differences of opionion that are keeping rim off the schedule are definately killing the curious cat in me.

however, i do not expect to find out what they are in a public forum on the internet.

hopefully the differences can be overcome in another 11th hour negotiation like in 01. but it doesnt look like it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm confused. Why would one sanctioning body (Rally America) purchase insurance from another sanctioning body (NASA)? Aren't insurance rates based on the profile of the sanctioning body? And if the events in question are Rally America events, how could NASA's insurance rates and conditions be applicable unless run under NASA rules and regulations?

Also, wouldn't it be more appropriate to get insurance settled months before Sno*Drift given that the organizers have to spend time and money putting together an event that could be cancelled if a last minute insurance deal is not put together?

I'm sure JB was misquoted in that piece, so I'm curious what was really said.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>Also, wouldn't it be more appropriate to get insurance
>settled months before Sno*Drift given that the organizers
>have to spend time and money putting together an event that
>could be cancelled if a last minute insurance deal is not
>put together?
>
Maybe because there weren't months between this all being initiated (SCCA dropping the ball) and the date for Sno*Drift? x(

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I was not goning to jump up and down about insurance prior to S*D comment, but I think its safe to say S*D will make a decision about Insurance sometime in December or earlier. I'd be more comfortable with outlines of our choices prior to Thanksgiving.

We absolutely plan to host the event and we will not wait until the day before the event to make such important decisions.

See ya all in the Sno!

Mike

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ray,

Maybe I was just reading between the lines because:
a) one party had spoken to the press
and
b)you said that doing so was all about ego.

I guess it's my fault for linking the two! Anyway, we should probably all assume best intentions by others involved in trying to keep our sport alive.

Thanks for putting on events and getting insurance. That's much more important than the Red Sox.

I'd still like to see the 9 pages posted here.

Dave

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
>I'm sure JB was misquoted in that piece, so I'm curious what
>was really said.

I talked to JB this weekend. He basically said he was misquoted and what he said was on the line of "If we don't have insurance lined up, the events can always discuss things with another sanctioning body such as NASA if they wish to."

Hopefully I have not misquoted him again. ;)

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
dano9988 said:
>What are the exceptions that you are seeking? Could you comment please?

Ray Hocker said:
>We asked for the same exemptions granted for our event last year.

DaveHintz said:
>How about taking the high road and providing real facts?

DaveHintz said:
>I'd still like to see the 9 pages posted here.

Um, hello everyone? Is this really so mysterious???

Ray already said it was the same as last year. Last years Supps for Rim of the World:
>http://rimoftheworldrally.com/SupRegs.htm
Was it really that hard to find?

Was everyone this curious last year when they read the Rim supps? It certainly doesn't seem that way. Take a look at the kind of exceptions granted: how evil do they look?

*rolls eyes*

Anders

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Who said anything about Supplemental Regulations? I think the document full of conditions is definitely NOT the supps, as some of the conditions would likely not be something that the competitor needs to know...but rather issues relating to organizers and sanctioning bodies alone.

Stop rolling your eyes, Anders. :)

I do wish and hope the differences can be worked out, but if they can't, they can't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts