Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANy advice for runing a open cone intake, or close it off? Other than water, is there any danger? I was planing on making some kinda of casing for the filter and have a hose coming into the casing to feed some air to the cone filter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
One of these companies that makes air intakes for hondas and the like makes a cool little valve that opens when the filter gets submerged in water etc letting air from the engine compartment enter instead of water from the filter. I forget who makes it but I think they're called AEM or they make a product called Iceman or something like that. Sounds right. They did a article with it in sports compact car and they had the intake submerged in a fish tank full of water and they ran the car on a dyno.

·
Registered
442 Posts
RE: Intake open or closed? Why?

I made a intake out of 2.5 or 3" mandrel bent exaust pipe and sprayed it with ceramic paint just for kicks and it didnt do anything except make whistling noises and make my car louder :) I had the filter down in the wheel well to gather cold air (the major selling point of various 250+$ honda intakes) and it didnt do a damn thing :) sooo maybe if you have a car that demands more air you could free up some extra hp but its pointless on a stock car IMHO. Looks nicer than a stock airbox I guess.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

Tee heee! That's what I thought!

Carve up the stock air box and eliminate all the 'french exciter' things hung on to stock induction tracts.

Save your money, get some compression and a cam!

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
122 Posts

Don't do anything, what the hell are you talking about. For the dollar amount invested, an intake is will provide the biggest proformance enhancement. Car makers made there air filters perposfully restrictive to reduce noise. That is why your car sounds so much louder with an aftermarket intake. The intake doesn't really make power, but just frees up some that was bottled up at the factory.

It is AEM that makes a bypass valve. You might want to reconsider it thought. Lots of them have been recalled because the valve element would become loose, and be sucked into the engine. Plus when is your intake going to be fully emerged in water anyway?

Robin

·
Registered
442 Posts

I dunno all the dyno tests ive ever seen in sports compact car show little gain (2-3hp) with those intakes and that doesnt seem to be worth 200+ dollars or whatever they are asking. I know the makers of the intakes say they will increase hp by 10 or what not but I dont believe it. I just saw a new intake in a car mag that takes cold air to the next level. I cant find it on the net but its a cold air intake which basically works like the rest but it has a intercooler like airfilter that you mount behind the grill to give your car that turbo look. They make those things out of carbon fiber too. I saw one that was 500$! In my most humble (and this time I have to be right btw) opinion anyone that buys one of these intakes and expects a 20% increase in hp is getting cheated. check this out http://www.streetracing.org/article/products/weapon-r/coldair/ramairkit.jpg
I would love to see a dyno result that proved those claims!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts