Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've bought a prepped rally car, and I want to start doing rallysprints and TSD races this year (performance rallies next year maybe). My daily driver is insured through TD insurance but they won't insure the rally car because it's been prepped for racing. What do you guys to insure your cars? I realize that performance rallies have event insurance, but you still need valid insurance for between the stages AFAIK. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes you do need insurance, full coverage for performance events.

But how did they know that it was a rally car? I just buy day permits for a couple days when I go to events. If you don't tell them its for competition, they won't ask (for day permits anyway) In closed stages, your normal insurance is void anyway.

If its not your daily driver, just get day permits.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, sorry, TSD "event". The issue is that my insurance company requires photos to be taken of the car. Since the car is a prepped rally car with a roll cage, stripped interior, etc., and since they've seen that it's a rally car they won't insure it, even for daily driving.

·
Registered
497 Posts
But is it going to be your daily driver? If not, just get day permits. I highly doubt they will ask you for photos for that.

If not, try another insurance company, I don't think ICBC does that here in BC. But that doesn't help you,

Cheers,

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure how much they are in Ontario, but here in BC with collision and comprehensive, they are $35 a day, $50 for two, and like $70 for three. So its cheaper if you "buy in bulk". Its $25 a day and so on for just basic.

Cheers,

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Gordie (AKA johhyfantastic),
If you insurance company requires a photo, how do they know that it is you car? Take a photo of a car that is the same make, model, year and color. If at some later time they find out the car is prepped, tell them this was done after the photo was taken and ins. issued.

Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I could... the insurance company forces you to bring the car down to their location and they inspect and photograph it. Maybe this means it's time to find a new insurance company :)
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
61 Posts
How old is the car? Depending on the insurance company they will/won't need a photo based on age. In Ontario, as I understand it, any car 10 years newer will require a photo for almost _all_ insurance companies.

Either find a company that doesn't require a photo...or find a good broker.

-Dave

-----------------------
'89 Audi 90 quattro
Rally Conversion
Perpetually In-Progress

1 - 15 of 15 Posts