Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share something I have done recentaly for the rally car. My rally car is a 1985 VW Golf and if it were to be stollen or catch fire my insureance company would replace it with another 1985 VW golf or give me a check for say $500 as that is what the car might blue book for.

Well given that it as $2700 suspinsion, $5000 gear box, $1400 Limited Slip, $7000 motor... I would be out a lot of money. So I called up Safeco and we agreed on a value for the car of $15,000. This added a wopping $40 a year to my insurance cost. Now if the car gets stollen I will get $15,000 not $500. I recomend everyone think about doing the same in light of the Canadian's car getting stollen recently.

Derek

·
Registered
40 Posts
Earlier this year I called around to the "classic car insurers" and the "insure your race car here" places , (some advertised in GRM Magazine)

, my car was not old enought for the Classic Car insurance, and the "Insure your Race Car Places" only cover PIT-TRAILER-PADDOCK, like as in not while your car is racing, and I explained rally to them and they said even the Transits are part of a motorsport event which would not be covered, according to this company.

let us know if your insurance co. knows that the car is used in competition.

If you hit a deer...run off the road and total the car on a STAGE......are they paying?

and if for example you are breaking in your motor and driving the car to work and you hit a deer...run off the road and total the car on your way to work......are they paying?

$40/ year sounds like a good value,

David E.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My insurance company knows it is a rally car, I do not have collision ie I crash the car my problem, the car is not covered on stage ie deer hunting will cost me when on stage, on the road it should be covered. There is no point in not discolsing everything it is what it is.

If the car is stollen, catches fire in my driveway, has a tree fall on it etc it is covered.

Transits are a grey area, I do however have a personal libility coverage called Umbrella covrage, that covers me personaly everywhere and they too know I have a race car. Even my life insurance knows I race boats and cars.

Derek

·
Registered
186 Posts
We're insured by Haggerty and have been around this issue (as well as the liability issue) in detail with our agent as well as the company itself.
- on the trailer, on transits, on display at a show, general road use, etc. etc. etc. (everything but a stage), the car is insured just as any "normal" (i.e. a Buick on the way to Bob Evans') automobile would be. Same with our liability coverage.
- on a timed stage (during the actual racing) we have zero coverage. No collision, no comp, no medical, no liability, nothing. This is where the SCCA even insurance (liability and medical) fills the gap.
- we also have an agreed value; it is not expensive as has been noted. But it only covers occurances not during an actual racing stage.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way many policies are written, but it costs essentially nothing to call your agent and ask.

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Any driver who does not have umbrella coverage is foolish. Even I as a co-driver will be getting it soon.

In fact, umbrella coverage is so cheap that everyone should get it (the recommendation of my financial planner). Something like $100/yr for $1,000,000 coverage, I think.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
926 Posts
I too a look at the Hagerty web site http://www.hagerty.com/ and found this:

"We do not offer an insurance product for the following types of vehicles:
Vehicles customized for "off-road" usage

Pro-street vehicles ? Vehicles modified exclusively for racing with features such as roll cages, wheelie castors, nitrous systems, parachutes, etc.
Inexpensive 4 door sedans from the mid-1970s and newer "

Is the the same company?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts