Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info coming soon on Bais ?

Recce Schedule, Stage Notes or Not, Detailed Stage Schedule ?

Anyone know who I'd contact for this kind of info ?

Thanks All !

:)

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>>Any info coming soon on Bais ?
>
>Do you mean Baie as in Baie des Chaleurs?
>

Yeah, that Baie ....

·
Registered
62 Posts
RE: Info on Bais

Hi,

I contacted the organizers a while back to make my hotel booking soon. From what they said back then, the schedule will be quite similar to last year:

Thursday: All-day Recce
Friday: Reg, Scruteneering, night stages (Leg 1)
Saturday: Leg 2 and 3

Bye
Pou

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>
>Any info coming soon on Bais ?
>
>Recce Schedule, Stage Notes or Not, Detailed Stage Schedule ?
>
>
>Anyone know who I'd contact for this kind of info ?
>
>
> Thanks All !

Pou gave you the schedule. No stage notes, but two pass recce with enough time to do it if you don't have problems. You need a non-rally vehicle for recce.

Book hotels early.

Adrian

·
Registered
232 Posts

Just to emphasize Adrian's point: you have enough time for two pass recce if you don't have any problems. Last year we used (and needed) the full day to prepare our notes. (In addition, I spent a lot of time Thursday night and on Friday getting the notes in a more useable condition.) I recall that we entered our final stage 10 minutes before the close of recce. We did not have any problems. So start as soon as the stages open for recce and don't waste time.

Steve McKelvie

·
Registered
555 Posts

I will look up the hotel name that we boked when I get home Matt.

Can anyone speak to what people have been saying 'if you dont have problems'? What do you mean? This will be our first recce event so im concerned about having said problems!

·
Registered
232 Posts

John,
The potential problems that I was primarily thinking of were related to vehicle problems. We recced the route in the pickup truck that we used to tow the rally car. The extra ground clearance came in handy compared to running a rental car with stock suspension. One stage had a 70 - 100 metre portion made up entirely of cobbles about the size of your fist. Flat tires or losing the bead could be an problem.
I think that some of the stages would be hard on a standard vehicle. That said, Vittorio Bares recced the event in a Ford Focus station wagon provided by the local Ford dealer with a total of 4 people in it! So I guess anything is possible.

Dave and I did not not stop very often to discuss how to note a particular portion of the road. However we used some unique language (eg: "suck *ss right", a term that be borrowed from Sarah Grenier) as a mental reminder of a particular corner that we had discussed - things like that.

Steve McKelvie

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

As Steve said, I was thinking of vehicle problems.

We recced in a Neon with rally tires and didn't have problems, but the afternoon swing was getting tight on time.

Adrian

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
recce probs

Recce probs can include almost anything that can happen to vehicles and/or crew in remote situatiions where you're following a course with limited time. Truly the rally before the rally.

various issues, many of which I've actually seen on recce:

flat tires
outa gas
off road
holed oil pan (right, Marc?)
busted shocks (like the LF on my F-250)
blockages due to logging trucks
blockages due to rally crews
blockages due to trout fishermen
blockages due to private road gates being closed by landowners
getting lost
missing a turn (or 3)
brain farts
hypoglycemia

etc etc

bring a tow strap, extra spare, some food and drink. make sure recce vehicle is up to snuff with full gas, appropriate tires for route, etc. Tent, stove, utensils, winter sleeping bags, gaiters, snowshoes, dogsled...um, sorry -- forgot that Baie is in July!

cheers

Dave G
www.lastditchracing.net

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
77 Posts
RE: recce probs

gee thanks steve...

and to think, i learned most of my "unique" terminalogy from capt getchell and the lost boys...ie: L5R3 SPANK.... :+

but also to stay on topic, i used my toyota tacoma for recce last year and it was rough enough to cause one of the camber bolts to loosen and throw the whole alignment out of whack. to the point where driving it at all was scary. by the time we fixed it recce was closed and we only had 1 pass on several stages.

·
Registered
79 Posts

> That said, Vittorio Bares recced the event in a Ford
>Focus station wagon provided by the local Ford dealer with a
>total of 4 people in it! So I guess anything is possible.
>>Steve McKelvie

That car must have taken a beating and the best part about it was how the next day they got a call from the ford dealer that they needed the car back because they sold it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
RE: recce probs

>various issues, many of which I've actually seen on recce:

>flat tires
>blockages due to logging trucks

Add these 2 together and you have our situation at Bighorn last fall - got a flat in my Chev truck - couldn't get the crappy jack high enough to put the spare on - had a "picker" (thing that loads logs onto the trucks) stop by - grab my trailer hitch and lift the back of my truck 5 feet in the air. Didn't even have to bend down to put the tire on! :7

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RE: Contact info

>P.O. Box 4015
>New Richmond (QC) G0C 2B0
>Phone : (418) 392-3544
>Fax : (418) 392-5425
>E-mail : [email protected]

Nobody answers e-mail ... any other e-mail address for me to try ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts