Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago, when I was still working on my undergraduate degree, I noticed a link to a BIG rally being planned in the Pacific Northwest. I found out that John Nagel was working on the dream of bringing back world championship level rallying to the United States. I emailed John to get more info, and he'd mentioned the rally he was working on would be sponsored in large part by Microsoft and that teams like SEAT, TOYOTA and possibly SUBARU were interested in competing. With a base in Seattle, he'd planned on using Mt. Baker on the US/Canadian border as a full tarmac hillclimb, which seemed really cool!!!!

Of course, this never materialized. How close were we? It seemed that it was a comparable effort to CORONA Rally Mexico. If anybody has info, it would be great to find out more.

Also, what was RallyWeek Northwest? I know that John was the chief organizor for the Olympus, but I've never heard of RallyWeek Northwest? In the previous threads, it seemed that many of You had fond memories of this event/s.

Last but not least, I remember reading a story about Waldegaard and L-E Torph driving their Celica's from Aberdeen to the coast in the run up to the Toyota Olympus Rally. Is there anyway to retrieve that article?

Best Wishes in the Coming Year for Everyone! Also, thanks in advance for any info!

Simon
Fruitland, ID

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
>Last but not least, I remember reading a story about
>Waldegaard and L-E Torph driving their Celica's from Aberdeen
>to the coast in the run up to the Toyota Olympus Rally. Is
>there anyway to retrieve that article?

Is this it?

[a href="http://www.specialstage.com/archives/events/world/olympus1986.shtml"]Link[/a]

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Excellent article.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
WOW.

I remember some of that story. And we (Guy Light and I) were just privateers in that event.

GodSpeed John.

And I'll bet he will have the best d*mn rally arranged when the rest of us get there.

press on,

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>>Last but not least, I remember reading a story about
>>Waldegaard and L-E Torph driving their Celica's from
>Aberdeen
>>to the coast in the run up to the Toyota Olympus Rally. Is
>>there anyway to retrieve that article?
>
>Is this it?
>
>[a
>href="http://www.specialstage.com/archives/events/world/olympus1986.shtml"]Link[/a]

Yes, thanks a lot.

Simon

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rally program in the Northwest has seen many events come and go. Two of the earliest events were the Olympus and Nor'Wester. Both were Nationals and organized by different clubs; Olympus was with the Puget Sound Sports Car Club while Nor'Wester was done by Rainier Auto Sports Club.

John realized that if the "splash" were large enough, people and sponsors would be attracted to it. With that in mind, he looked for ways to create the "big splash."

It was the melding of the Nor'Wester and Olympus rallies that became Rally Week Northwest. When that happened, there was also a major shift, geographically, in the venues for those events from the "Seattle" area to the "Olympia" area. Olympia, the state capital, provided local access to state officials who would, in time, become vital in the organizing of a world event.

I believe the two Rally Week events originaly had a gap of two weeks between runnings which eventually became a single week. (The one week schedule was a bit tough on some of us that may have suffered damage on the first event.)

When the run was made to create a world event, Rally Week, as we knew it, died. Rainier continued to organize events (and still does) but the dates for those rallies were moved away from the Olympus event.

I hope that answers your question.

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts