Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a killer deal on a PGT Subie in Canada, but I would like to know if anyone has brought a car in from there & what types of things should I know before I jump?

Taxes? Emissions? Duties? Misc BS?

Help?

Thanx!

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Make sure you have the EPA tag on the underside of the hood and the DOT tag on the door jam. If these tags are not there saying that the car meets US specs for the year the car was produced you will be racing in Canada only. You will need to get paperwork from Subie of Canada and maybe SubieUSA saying that DOT and EPA are OK with the car.

If the car has been repainted the DOT tag may have been removed. Also if the hood has ever been swapped the tag might not be there. Ask me how I know this stuff...wait don't ask.

Jake "the guy who tried to pop his hood to show US Customs the EPA tag under the hood of the car he just bought but the hood latch release cable broke and came out like a 7 foot long piece of spaghetti" Himes

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jake, you ROCK.

Thanx.

ps- did you say "Voila!" when you pulled the cable out?

hehehe

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
789 Posts
Heed jake's advice about stickers under the hood.

Worse comes to worse (and you gotta have the car) register, license and insure it in Canada.

Actually, quite doable.

I have seen some tragic "import stories".

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. I dont wanna be one of those stories, that why I thought I should ask now.

It is a good deal, or I wouldnt bother. (although that's probly WHY it's a good deal).

I have requested photos to verify those tags.

wait- how could I tag & reg & ins it in Canada, if I live in MI? Do I need to have a relative living there?

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
ACP will probably chime in here because I think that he keeps his car(s) registered in Canada. Of course he's a Canadian who just happens to be living in New York so maybe that's a factor too. There has been discussion on the Ontario rally discussion board about the difficulty in obtaining rally car insurance. They use something called "facility insurance" which sounds pretty expensive to me. You might want to check into all of those things before making a decision to "stay Canadian".

Kent Gardam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts