Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... I've found a car I might be interested in buying in Canada, but I was curious about the ordeals involved in importing a rallycar from Canada into the United States. Does anyone have any experience in this area and can lend some pointers?
Thanks!
-s

·
Registered
789 Posts
Be very careful...before you buy it.

Even if it is a model sold on both sides of the border, it still needs the appropriate underhood stickers. Check carefully the EPA, NTSB and DOT sites.

Start by searhing on google "importing a car from Canada"

Good luck and get the seller involved in the process too!

·
Registered
232 Posts
About 10 years ago when I moved to the USA from Central Canuckstan, I had a 1986 Chev Celebrity (POS) and a 1990 T-Bird. I was permitted to bring the Chev in fairly easily but the T-Bird was not permitted to enter the USA. The T-Bird only had seat belts (as did the Chev) but the USA requirements changed sometime between 1986 and 1990 requiring either an air bag or an active seat belt system. (Remember those things on a slide system that attacked your neck everytime you started the car.) I liked the T-Bird but the local Ford dealer was going to charge me $2700 to add the air bag (and then not guarantee it in the event of an accident). I sold the T-Bird in Canada.

Good luck,
Steve

·
Jct Motorsports &Collision
374 Posts
I Live in northern Vermont and with theDOLLAR so strong in CANADA We cross the border to buy ATV and SLEDS The dealer brings it Over the border and no sales tax . Have the person who owns it. Bring it into the U.S. and do the deal in the states Now it is in . I bought a Alfa 20 yrs ago took it a part told them it was for parts paid a little duty on it and in it was. CHRIS PUTZIER:) :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was always wondering about this.

i spoke to the EPA and the DOT and it seems that some paperwork needs to be filed with the government before you cross the car over.

the bill of sale is also very important. you have to pay 2.5% duty fee when you cross it over.

Has anyone here ever done this though? is there special consideration taken when it is just a rally car and not a car made for street legal purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts