Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I have really enjoyed the forums so far and I have learned a ton. Maybe I missed some opinons or posts about this but thought I would ask anyway.

I have to build my own car because the scene in Idaho is somewhat slim and from what I have found from looking around no-one is selling a rally ready car. Here is my idea of how I should approach this season, let me know what you think.

Car: FWD Mk2 VW or Neon. Add cage my self with the help of my friend who is a metal fabricator. Throughout the winter add suspension, seats, harnesses, helmets, maybe a HANS, weld holes and seams, skid plate, gas tank guard, and buy flattest brimmed hat :cool:. Probably add after-market air intake, but whats important to me is making sure my car will pass Tech and get logbooked. Making sure the car is ready for one event is my biggest priority. I don't care if I'm last or 8th I just want to drive

Stay Warm and thanks for all the help and advice, I really do appreciate all feedback and criticism.

-Alex

After talking to some people I really was overthinking to much. Hope to see everyone at the rally June 9th here in Idaho!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Kris marciniak has a great starter car for sale for someone like you :)

http://rallynotes.com/contact/

friends with private land is the best (nearly the only option) for practice. you can also find actual practing / testing facilities. like CORE out in colorado.

Exit 28 motorsports in Reno,NV , etc, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I purchased an 83 VW Rabbit with a 1.8l 5spd. I'll start a build thread this weekend if anyone is interested in seeing one being built.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Good luck with the build! The great advice I got when I started my build: When you are fabricating or working on the car, ask yourself a few questions, will it make the car stronger, will it make it easier to work on, will it make the car more reliable? Those are the things to be concerned about, not performance.

Keep it simple, don't worry about power. Focus on strength and reliability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts