Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you know facts for this years event, okay. If not tell me about last year. Basic schedule, event itself and/or recee. Stage notes or recee or nothing. Whatever else you deem important to someone that's never run the event before. Thanks.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Don- Great event!
stage notes, winter roads/summer ditches (ie: don't fall off)
Reg on friday, rally on sat.
Healey Monster can tell you more too

·
Registered
555 Posts
No recce, at least for this year. The organizers did not want to add another day given the limited daylight at that time of year. The same great notes will be available this year.

Great roads (one new ~14km stage this year as well)

Great crowds

Cheap entry fees compared to most US events (~550 last year plus ~150 for the stage notes)

You gotta come check it out for yourself!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Great Rally

Bring every tire you have. Last year it was 60 degrees F at 10 pm. Three years ago there was ice and snow. A number of years ago SNOW BANKS.

Like Jeff said, Winter Roads and Summer Ditches.

Jeffy, is Mark bringing the Subie or you bringing the black Golf you had (if you still have it?)? BTW, I will pick you up a dozen of Timmies Finest for a ride on Shakedown! :7

Dave C

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Sold the golf :-(
and "timbits are evil and disgusting" - that's part of my new mantra.
(dang it !)
- I'll be w/ Joan Hoskinson in the 2.5RS

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>If you know facts for this years event, okay. If not tell me
>about last year. Basic schedule, event itself and/or recee.
>Stage notes or recee or nothing. Whatever else you deem
>important to someone that's never run the event before.
>Thanks.

The worst problem about deciding now will be finding accomodation. AFAIK they will have the Bancroft Chamber of Commerce on line to help out with that.

The event now has a mix of the traditional forest roads (narrow with rough areas, getting rougher every year) and town/township roads (wider, smoother but quite technical). Typically central servicing and a fairly compact route (not as compact as Baie, but not far off).

Scedule is usually Reg/Tech on Friday afternoon/evening. Rally on Saturday, ending with night stages. Awards late Saturday.

The notes are OK, but not as consistent as Jemba notes. There was talk of recce, but I guess that isn't happening.

For travel time, give yourself 2.5 - 3 hours from the top of I-81.

Weather can be anything from dry and mid-60s to 6" of fresh snow and 10. In '02 the forest roads needed ice/snow tires (just enough packed snow/ice patches that you lost significant time on gravel tires) while the town roads were best on gravel tires.

The website is at http://www.tallpinesrally.com/ but there isn't a lot of 2004 detail yet. Supps are supposed to be available Oct 1.

Adrian

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed not much on the web site, that why I asked the experts here x( BTW, how do they make the notes if not using the Jemba system? Just their own form of recee?

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I noticed not much on the web site, that why I asked the
>experts here x( BTW, how do they make the notes if not
>using the Jemba system? Just their own form of recee?

The notes were made by John Bellefleur. AFAIK no instrumentation was used, so yes, it is like someone else recced the event and sold their notes. He did attempt to make them course notes rather than pace notes, but, when I ran in 2002, we found them less consistent than the Jemba notes we were used to. The tighter stuff worked ok, but the more open stuff didn't seem to work as well.

Adrian

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>BTW, how do they make the notes if not
>using the Jemba system?

John Bellefleur has previously prepared the Tall Pines stage notes without Jemba. Personally, I'd like to see Tall Pines use Jemba.

Edit: To Adrian's post when I was posting mine.
John's notes were just different enough from Jemba to be confusing in that where Jemba may note a curve as opens and tightens several times, the notes provided last year noted them as multiple seperate curves.
Worse was a double jump that lacked a note of any cautions that well deserved one and took a beating on many cars.

Oh well, better than tulips.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Tall Pines--Rally of The Many Tires

Hi Don--

Can't emphasize enough to have best tire selection you can pull together. Regular gravel tires are a given; if you can, have some soft-compund gravel tires for nippy morning stages. Trust me, hard-compound gravel tires and 29-degree mornings do NOT mix well, we tore the left front off John's WRX discovering this up there last year.

You will likely need snows as well, we run 8-ply Hakka CQ light truck tires, cheaper and more readily available than rally-specific snows. I also splurged and bought a set of tractionized Yoko K2s for ice.....whatever rubber you bring, realize that snows work better on cold gravel than the wrong gravel tires!

It's a great rally, good field, very fast, lots of crests and off-camber bends. Ditches are NOT friendly, there was major attrition last year. For instance, Pat Richard went off so many times that his team finally pulled him from the race before the car fell apart completely.

There's often a devilish combination after a rain...a soft clay-like surface that on cold mornings is frozen in the shade and turns to a gooey thin layer of choco mousse in the sun. You can imagine how great the grip is in that stuff!!

Tall Pines is a serious driver's rally where good judgement and sane decisions at speed count for more than mega HP. You'll do great up there.

Cheers,

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>BTW, how do they make the notes if not
>using the Jemba system? Just their own form of recee?

Don:

Notes are made by John Bellefleur and checked by the organizers (who are very experienced competitors).

I cannot say enough good things about the Pines. Just go to the event - you will have a great time.

Doug Woods

P.S. I just noticed that Adrian, Dave S., Doug and Dave G. all posted a response within 3 minutes of each other. Must be a slow day at work everywhere. ;)

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Withdraw or exclusion

> For instance, Pat Richard went
>off so many times that his team finally pulled him from the
>race before the car fell apart completely.

Not true.
To know what really happened you would have had to attended the stewards meeting in the HQ closet/pantry.

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Keep the info flowing. We're planning to make TP our first taste of CARS. The cost of SCCA is out of control. See you soon, eh.

One thing - are notes included in entry or extra?

Thanks,

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
555 Posts
This year the notes will be provided as part of the entry fee.
The double jump that Dave mentioned in here is somewhat true. However when the guys on TV broke something on it it was the SECOND time through that stage. They blamed the notes but the 2nd time through it should have been noted by themselves!

Glad to hear you guys are coming up!

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>The double jump that Dave mentioned in here is somewhat
>true. However when the guys on TV broke something on it it
>was the SECOND time through that stage. They blamed the
>notes but the 2nd time through it should have been noted by
>themselves!

Its not the first pass was not a car breaker that the TV coverage choose not to show all their coverage of it. In fact, I don't remember a TV crew being there until the 2nd pass.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I guess I was unclear in my rambling...Thats exactly what I meant. McGeer blamed the notes but it was the 2nd time through he had the problem, so I say he has no excuse!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are tech/registration/headquarters some where in Bancroft? Ie, for lodging you want to be as close to Bancroft as possible?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don, everything is based right out of Bancroft (well, about 10kms south of it) with a single service / registration / party HQ

Book your rooms now if you are coming!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts