Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first i would like to say that i never had a problem w/ralph. yeah he's a little loud but he talks at the right times and has really improved his knowledge base w/each rally. but this guy covering greece is terrible. he sounds like he is being told what to say through an earpiece and the person telling him what to say is my grandma. and im pretty sure there were more than six cars in the rally. granted it was cool to see hyundai get some more airtime that wasnt showing them broken. while im at it anyone notice that only the lmp cars are getting any airtime on Le Mans. go petter!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree. I liked Ralph better. This new guy talks so low you can barely hear him, which some of you may say is good, but that still hinders hearing the notes on the in car shots. Ralph was better

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dave is fantastic excellent job!!!

>first i would like to say that i never had a problem
>w/ralph. yeah he's a little loud but he talks at the right
>times and has really improved his knowledge base w/each
>rally. but this guy covering greece is terrible. he sounds
>like he is being told what to say through an earpiece and
>the person telling him what to say is my grandma. and im
>pretty sure there were more than six cars in the rally.
>granted it was cool to see hyundai get some more airtime
>that wasnt showing them broken. while im at it anyone
>notice that only the lmp cars are getting any airtime on Le
>Mans. go petter!

Your nuts, Dave Despain (spell) did a fantastic job, got the names correct and showed a very commanding understanding of rally and general competition. I could hear everything which was said with out a need to record and rewind-and added some great wittism, all that without in your face yelling broadcasting. I suggest you watch the coverage again and listen to the commentray without bias to whom is talking-it is very good and knowledgeable.
The six cars coverage is not SPEED's fault that would be David Richards group that owns world TV covergae of Rally that provides the footage.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph is back for Safari, he is probably on vacation and since it's same day coverage SPEED had there best do the job. Just a guess on my part.
I wish my grandma knew that much about Rally, you might want to give yours a visit and learn a few things!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: Dave is fantastic excellent job!!!

I wrote an e-mail to Speed TV asking them bring back the British guy, or at least bring back Ralph. I thought the new guy sounded disappointed that he was forced to do WRC instead of what he regularly does. Here was their response:

The New guy is Dave Despain. He is just filling in while Ralph works the pits for the CART races on CBS. Dave will be onboard for the next two rounds in Kenya and Finland, then it's back to Ralph for the rest.

You're right, we did use the British guy for the first round in
Monte Carlo then switched. We found that it's nearly impossible to fill one hour with the British "world feed" guy seeing as how they only give us 26 minutes of content. So, the options were cut stuff out to make a crappy half hour show, or add onboards with our own guy, and do an hour. We like the hour.

Sorry for any confusion by having Dave do Acropolis. I don't think
Dave was at all disappointed to be doing the WRC, his style is just very sarcastic, and he may come across as being unhappy. He does however have a genuine enthusiasm for the sport. Thanks for the feedback though and keep watching.

Oh yea, if you really, really wish Ralph did Acropolis, then it's
not all that bad. Monday night at 11PM ET is rally X-Tra which Ralph will be calling since the CART race is now over. So, maybe it's not all that bad.

·
Registered
630 Posts
>Ralph was a pit reporter at the Portland CART race on CBS, a
>network job

And we can only pray that SPEED leaves him there, or anywhere but on rally coverage. Unlike Dave Despain, Ralph would rather be blathering along about NASCRAP. Dave Despain was calling SCCA ProRally on ESPN back in the Buffum/Millen days before Ralph even got his first "Mr Microphone" for christmas. Also unlike Ralph, Dave Despain *LIKES* rally in general and actually thinks they are better drivers than those hillbilly NASCRAP guys. I myself sent a letter to SPEED complimenting them on Dave, and begging them to oust Ralph forever to the netherlands of "turn left, go straight, turn left, hit the wall".

·
Registered
366 Posts
>>Ralph was a pit reporter at the Portland CART race on CBS, a
>>network job
>
>And we can only pray that SPEED leaves him there, or
>anywhere but on rally coverage. Unlike Dave Despain, Ralph
>would rather be blathering along about NASCRAP. Dave Despain
>was calling SCCA ProRally on ESPN back in the Buffum/Millen
>days before Ralph even got his first "Mr Microphone" for
>christmas. Also unlike Ralph, Dave Despain *LIKES* rally in
>general and actually thinks they are better drivers than
>those hillbilly NASCRAP guys. I myself sent a letter to
>SPEED complimenting them on Dave, and begging them to oust
>Ralph forever to the netherlands of "turn left, go straight,
>turn left, hit the wall".

Boy you said it. Are you a carpenter by chance? because you hit the nail on the head!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in my opinion ralph has a better sense of timing. but after watching rally xtra i feel that the real problem is the writers and the time contraint involved in same day coverage. so if that is the price i pay five nights of wrc a month then so be it! ralphs dialogue was exactly the same as dave's. dave would say look at this coming up and then it would happen 30 seconds later. i think they are both fine i just prefer ralph just like some people watch letterman and others watch leno. and some watch the golden girls. and please lay of nascar! you talk about not offending people and wanting to gain exposure in the media and general public then you go and incessantly insult something alot of people enjoy watching. that doesnt make sense!
--greg

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm glad Speed have WRC signed up for 3 years.

I don't think complaining about the WRC programs as you all do will help the cause of having WRC on TV when the contract expires.

I can't force anyone to agree with me, but so far I just send emails thanking Speed for bring us WRC.

I also agree with another post, some people are too harsh with the roundy-roundy. If you aren't happy switch to another channel or turn it off, like I do. I also don't like CART, IRL, boat racing, drag racing, lawn mower, drag boat, airplane racing, but I'm sure others like them.

I can tell for experience, positive notes gets much more return than complains.

Be positive, for a change.

CS

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ralph is a nice fellow, I have actually met him when he was doing the PWC national tour coverage. SPEED should use his strength, which is making NASCRAP seem interesting, whereas WRC actually IS interesting so his talents are wasted.

I wrote SPEED a letter that was completely positive. I told them I didnt care who did the voiceover as long as we had 4 1/2 hours of WRC, and I thanked them for it. I did say that I liked Dave Dispain, and noted my preference for him over Ralph, but I was very clear that I will watch no matter what.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was watching the WRC Acropolis race from France recently on Eurosport, and it seems to me as if the script that the commentator is reading is completely different! Is this possible? I assumed that WRC wrote the script and just sent it out to all the different networks with the program. But in any case, if I am correct, the European script I saw was much better. The commentator made remarks that were actually insightful (about the rally driver's history or whatever) instead of just stupid remarks about.. pretty much obvious stuff. I wonder why we don't get that. Too bad I can't actually give you any examples, but someone who is interested and has more resources than I do might want to look into it, maybe we can get their script?

-Andy

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dave does a lot of Speed's motorcycle coverage and seems to be more clued into the great variety of motorsports. I didn't mind Ralph's coverage too much. There is another Speed announcer, can't remember his name, that truly does SHOUT AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS FAR TOO MUCH. He's the fella that in the Speed advertisement with the line, "HO LOOKATHAT --BIG SLIDE--!!!!!!!!!"

The criticisms of both Dave and Ralph are on the mark, but they do a credible, professional job. Whether it's Dave or Ralph, it's still 4 and a half hours of rally coverage per event, making WRC a very big part of Speedchannel. w00t!

If we'd had Dave all along and switched to the British guy we'd be put off by his snooty accent or something. "Who the heck is this guy, Dave Richard's butt-monkey? Feh! We want our 'merican announcers back!"

andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts