Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or maybe it was his son. The guy who introduced himself as Eric Anderson just don't even look old enough to have written a book back in the early 70s. Unless he did it as a kindergarten project or something ...

Great chatting with you at STPR Eric! Thanks for hanging with the rally community all these years!

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
>Or maybe it was his son. The guy who introduced himself as
>Eric Anderson just don't even look old enough to have
>written a book back in the early 70s. Unless he did it as a
>kindergarten project or something ...
>
>Great chatting with you at STPR Eric! Thanks for hanging
>with the rally community all these years!
>
>Halley ...
>Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally
>Car
>RealAutoSport, LLC
>http://www.realautosport.com

I started when I was 2, you see...

I also happened to bump into John Buffum who confirmed the "steering wheel" vice grips story among others. I did a story with John for Rallye Mag back in 1975, and I was amazed that he remembered it. He also remembered the America's Best Stage, and could even describe a good portion of the road. It's no wonder he was so fast.

There was a youngish (early 20s) couple where we were, who only had learned about rallying on Speed TV. They were convinced we were completely insane after some of the stories about things that happened along the way...

STPR was first event for me in a while. My late wife's lengthy illness kept me sidelined for quite sometime, but it felt good to be back out in the woods.

Now, about this picture I took of Mike looking like he's doing something perverted to a VW...

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>I also happened to bump into John Buffum who confirmed the
>"steering wheel" vice grips story among others. I did a
>story with John for Rallye Mag back in 1975, and I was
>amazed that he remembered it. He also remembered the
>America's Best Stage, and could even describe a good portion
>of the road. It's no wonder he was so fast.

Eric:

John has an incredible memory. I had a nice chat for about an hour with him this year at Rallye Quebec, and he was able to remember events, stages, scores, positions, etc. like they happened yesterday.

When I co-drove for him, I would show him the route book instructions for a stage at the start of the stage and he would memorize them! He could easily have completed stages without my being in the car.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
286 Posts
>Now, about this picture I took of Mike looking like he's
>doing something perverted to a VW...

Now, about that picture you referenced above that needs to be posted here immediately...:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts