Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out...MINES!

Press release 3: Sunday January the 12th 2003, 19h30
After a press conference with Dakar competition director, Hubert Auriol and head of the race medical center, Christian Noel, here is the main information concerning Sunday's stage 12 between Sarir and Siwa:
The rear left wheel of truck number 416, a KTM assistance vehicle, appears to have exploded on a mine in Egyptian territory. All three members are fine. No further details have been given on the reason of the explosion. The Egyptian authorities are on site to move the truck. All vehicles situated behind the incident have been stopped in order not to go through the portion where the truck is located. They will stay where they are in a bivouac until the zone is safe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lots of left over mines and military equipment from wars long ago and the French occupation of the south sahara. Until very recently, nomads equipped with military arms often held up competitors and stole everything including the vehicles. In 1992, two competitors were never found! no vehicles... nothing...

John Nelson
#382:eek:

·
I drive the car.
927 Posts
What's the big deal?

Just put it in the notes right?!

You know, "4R into 3L, CAUTION! stay on on outside of corner to avoid mines!" or " 3L Don't cut, MINES!"

Piece of cake for our quik witted Navies right? :p

Really, it sounds like a perfect event for the ClosedCourseCrazyPeople!

Charles
Viva le MR2 #295!!!
Future Mine Masher

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Now I have heard of "body armour" for rally cars. But the level of underbody protection for mines?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Two people died in a mine accident several years ago. they showed the aftermath on TV a couple of years ago. the car was one the roof and their was a large black crater from the explosion about 30 feet behind. they had to skip a section two years ago i believe because some of the local tribes were theatening to attack...left over sand dune caution rocket launcher. Definatly the most manly thing i have ever heard of...but rediculous. the two are kind of synonymous arent they?

noah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts